OT - Digital Camera Recommendations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

OT - Digital Camera Recommendations

Hi Ladies,

I am in the market for a new digital camera and thought you may be able to recommend cameras you've had good luck with.  I've been reading reviews and there are so many that seem great, I have no idea which to choose.  My current  camera is probably the first digital camera ever made, so I am way behind on the latest and greatest.

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Re: OT - Digital Camera Recommendations

Are you thinking point & shoot, or a digital SLR?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

DKB, it sounds like you have the same digital camera I have.  It came with a memory card that held... wait for it... EIGHT pictures!  Cool

I can ask my roommate for you.  She has a really nice one.  How much are you hoping to spend?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Point and shoot.  Looking to spend less than $300.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I adore my new Canon Powershot SD1200 IS Digital Elph.  Got it last November, and I've taken 100s of pictures on one card (sold separately).  The battery lasts a LONG time, but I bought a second one so I can swap it out and always have a charged one on hand.  It's a 10 mega pixel camera with 3x optical, 12x digital zoom.  Easy to use, light, large preview screen but small camera body.  (I bought it to replace a very early 3 mp version of the same camera that I also loved.)

HIGHLY recommended!!  (ETA:   with the card and extra battery it was still under $300)

I got mine at Amazon along with the accessories.  It comes in cute colors, too - mine's aqua.  Here's a photo of my favorite subject in her raincoat.  I picked this photo 'cause I think it really shows off the detail.  It's undoctored.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I find Nikons and Canons are great at any price point. I have a Nikon D60 digital SLR for work and a Nikon N65 film SLR at home, and both are lightweight, take excellent pictures, are easy to use and are very reliable.
    My mother has a Canon Rebel digital SLR and it's easy to use and just as reliable, but slightly bulkier.
    DH used to have a Nikon Coolpix and it impressed me as far as the quality of the pictures for such a simple camera.

I DO NOT recommend the simpler small digital camera by Canon. They are unreliable, and it's practically impossible to take a picture without the flash, and the flash takes forever to charge between pictures.

Kodak actually surprised me with the quality fo the pictures their cameras take, and how easy they are to use. If you're looking for a value camera, I'd recommend Kodak.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have no trouble taking decent photos without the flash and experience hardly any delay between shots with the flash on.  Are you talking about the Elph, Pinkkie?  I couldn't be happier in any respect with my Canon.

My DH has the Canon Rebel SLR.  "Slightly bulkier" is an understatment IMO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

kar- I mean specifically the Canon PowerShot A570 IS, it is, by far, the worst camera I've ever laid hands on.
    I've heard good things about the Elph, and your pics of Gracie always look good!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, that makes sense - I couldn't imagine anyone complaining about those things with the camera I have!  Thanks...she has a mug that loves the camera. ;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

dkb - I'm glad you started this thread!  I'm also looking for a really good, yet affordable, digital camera.  I'm also in the market for a videocamera.  I've seen some kind of "fancy" digital cameras that also do video... does anyone have experience with those?  I'm not talking the little dinky videos that many digital cameras can take (my little one can take limited video, but the quality is not good), I'm talking videocamera-level quality and ease of use.  I'm wondering if I should invest in a separate camera and videocamera, or if it makes sense to get one that does both.

(sorry to sort of hijack, dkb)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Kar!  I have the same camera as you, Canon SD1200 IS.  I think it is awesome.  I bought it because I really wanted a small camera I could fit in my purse or pocket.  I went the DSLR route a few years back, was all into photography, and then realized I *hated* carrying it around!  They are big and bulky.  I was jealous of my friends who took their cameras everywhere, so I finally broke down and bought a small one.  LOVE IT!  It is always in my purse, so I can take pics any time.  And I do use it all the time.

I will say that the picture quality is obviously not as good as an SLR (that is a fact when you buy a smaller camera with a smaller lens).  However, the pic quality is far improved in small cameras in recent years and it is worth it for the ease of using it.  It even has face detection, so it knows where people are in the shot and automatically focuses on them.  Outdoor pics are awesome (where there is lots of light).  Indoor pics come out really well when you are in the Kids & Pets mode.  And the price is great, $179 I think.

My coworker has the next model up (which was like $299 I think?) and she also loves it.  I think the big difference is that it has a much longer zoom.  I've used Canon's for a few years and really like them.  Nikon is also a great brand (I have a Nikon SLR).

PS:  One thing to note when talking about zoom: focus on OPTICAL zoom, not DIGITAL zoom.  Digital zoom basically means it crops the photos, meaning they are lower quality (it loses resolution).  I always turn digital zoom off.  My Canon has 3x optical zoom, the next model up is 12x optical zoom I think.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's exactly why I didn't go SLR - too heavy and bulky to be practical for me.  I don't even like carrying a purse for pete's sake so I knew anything bulky would collect more dust than photos.  DH's having an SLR is enough for us; he doesn't mind carrying it, and we have it for special occasions where we really want the highest amateur quality.  (I got him a 70 - 200 mm lens for it for his birthday!)

The 3x optical is plenty for me, and you're right, from 4 - 12x digital zooming the quality of the photo goes way down (they get grainey).  BUT, I'd certainly not  pay almost twice as much for the next canon up to get a 12x optical zoom.  For $179 (which is what I paid on Amazon) + $20 for a memory card + $60 for a spare always charged battery = $260.  I couldn't possibly be more thrilled with the value and quality.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from deniece881. Show deniece881's posts

I have a Panasonic DMC-ZS3 that I got for Christmas and love.  It takes great pictures and does video too.  It doesn't have a lot of settings to change, but I never touch any of that stuff even if I have it.  The pictures are clear and it's pretty fast.  The screen is nice and big and it has a 12x optical zoom, which I like.  I think the pictures are comparable to the ones from my old Canon Elph, that I loved too.  The video is pretty good, except in low light, it struggles a lot.  That is a lot better than it was on my Elph.  But my Elph was probably 3 years old.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I can't comment too mcuh as I have a bigger DSLR.  It's a Nikon.  Before this, I have always had Nikons - most recently a Coolpix, and for a point & shoot, it was (still is!) great.  Lightweight, battery lasts for ages and good, clear images.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here's one I took this morning at 12x digital zoom.  I have to say, though, it's not the best example because I took it through the window from inside...but it's an idea.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Kar - does Gracie have a friend?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yup!  That's her "boyfriend" from next door.  They play all the time.  Here they go through the woods to his house on the well worn path.  I think this photo was at 4x digital zoom; I was outside.  ETA:  They were obviously moving, but you can only see a little blur with their paws. 

dkb, hope these help!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Check out a Nikon L20.  Small and takes very good pictures.  We also have a Nikon DSLR and and an L20 when we don't want to carry the larger one around.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

kar- I can't believe how big Gracie is! such a good looking dog.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Isn't she huge?  I'm betting she's tipping the scales at 80 lbs.  Thanks!  We love her so much...

Didn't mean to hijack; I thought these photos were good representations of the zoom quality, though, and I don't have pictures of much else. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

So cute that she has a boyfriend!  It's great to see dogs together, isn't it?  (that is, if they aren't trying to maim each other, which these two are clearly not)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Wow, so many responses! 

Kar - one of my coworkers dabbles in photography and he suggested the powershot or the new Panasonic FH20.  Poppy - he also recommended the Panasonic ZS3 if you are looking for good video quality.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

p.s. Kar, that raincoat picture is too cute!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: OT - Digital Camera Recommendations:
    So cute that she has a boyfriend!  It's great to see dogs together, isn't it?  (that is, if they aren't trying to maim each other, which these two are clearly not)
    Posted by poppy609

Not in that photo, at least!  They roughhouse, too, but never in a mean way.

dkb, I'm not familiar with the other camera your coworker suggested, but I loved my first powershot (which 10 years ago and with 3 megapixels was $300!!!) and the newer generation exceeded my expectations.  Something else I like about it (and hate about others I've used) is that the view finder and preview screen is a "what you see is what you get" style.  The edge of what you see in the finder when you snap it is the true edge of the actual picture.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from akjed. Show akjed's posts

I bought my FI a new digital camera for Christmas, so I went through the same thing. I was trying to keep it under $200. I also am a Nikon DSLR user and am very picky about image quality, etc. At first I purchased a Nikon Coolpix and I was not impressed at all, so I returned it. However, I highly recommend the Panasonic Lumix cameras. They have excellent image quality (they use Leica brand lenses, which are world renown as among the best) and greater than 3X zoom, which was important to me.

It really comes down to personal preferences. I would ask about the return policy and don't be afraid to return the camera if you're not happy wiht it. Good luck with your search!

Sections
Shortcuts