OT - Dinner recipes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

OT - Dinner recipes

Hi ladies,

I'm hoping you would be willing to share your favorite recipes!  DH is home recovering from surgery, so I'm trying to think of new things to make for him for dinner.  I've never been much of a cook, but I'm working on it.  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Re: OT - Dinner recipes

any particular protein?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

In Response to Re: OT - Dinner recipes:
    [QUOTE]any particular protein?
    Posted by NorthernLghts[/QUOTE]

No, he'll eat any of them (except for tofu).  But he does have weird rules about his food, like he can't have the same protein twice in one day, won't eat leftovers that are more than about 6 hours old, etc...LOL!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I'm sure he would enjoy my famous "Call to the Chinese Place."  Wink

If you have a BJ's membership, they have really good stuffed seafood.  It's really good, and so easy.  Just put a couple of tablespoons of white wine on top, whip up some mashed potatoes (and, yes, I use the box), and make some broccoli or a salad to go on the side.

Also, I know it sounds weird, but if you open two cans of chili, throw them in a casserole dish, mix up some Jiffy cornbread mix, and spread it on top, then bake for about half an hour at 350, it's really good.

Otherwise, if you go to http://allrecipes.com and put in the ingredients you have, it will tell you what you can make.  I find that to be pretty handy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

the 6 hour rule is a little baffling. So that means last night's dinner can't be today's lunch? and i don't cook with tofu so I won't be recommending any meals with that in it.

Here are two websites I use most frequently when i need ideas.
    http://www.kraftrecipes.com/home.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Default.aspx (if you do a search by the ingredients tab you can put in stuff you want and stuff DH won't eat)

here are a couple good ones:

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/easy-bistro-chicken-91432.aspx

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/easy-chicken-stir-fry-skillet-104755.aspx

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

[QUOTE]the 6 hour rule is a little baffling. So that means last night's dinner can't be today's lunch? Posted by NorthernLghts[/QUOTE]

You think that's baffling?  His food aversions get even weirder:

-No eating the same type of protein more than once in a day, even if prepared differently
    -Even if a tiny bit is used in a recipe, he won't eat anything that contains condiments, dressings, vinegar, sour cream, mayo, or cheeses other than American, provolone, or mozzerella
    -Nothing purchased from Trader Joe's, just because "that place is weird"
    -Salads must be purchased from a restaurant and can't be made at home...

Yep, it's fun trying to feed this guy.  Can we say OCD?  Yell

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've discovered the inexpensive comfort food preparation techinique of braising recently, and I highly recommend it.  It takes very little prep time (20 minutes) or skill (easy), although it does require about an hour simmer time (no intervention necessary).  And, as a bonus, it requires cheap meat. It takes what could be shoe leather cuts and turns it into delectable, melt in your mouth, fall off the bone meat that I'd serve company.

So, if you have a large, deep saute pan, let me know.  I have a great braised veal shoulder blade chop recipe that we love.  Beef chuck steaks work, too, and if you've ever tried to cook those as if they were filet mignon or ribeyes you know why they're so cheap. ;)  Some grocery stores actually put "for braising" right on the packages, and the butcher can point you to braising cuts, too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miss-cellaneousJones. Show miss-cellaneousJones's posts

In Response to OT - Dinner recipes:
    [QUOTE]Hi ladies, I'm hoping you would be willing to share your favorite recipes!  DH is home recovering from surgery, so I'm trying to think of new things to make for him for dinner.  I've never been much of a cook, but I'm working on it.  :)
    Posted by PugsandKisses[/QUOTE]

Here is a yummy Korean BBQ marinade that I created, great for chicken or beef:

1 Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce

1 Tbsp. Worcheshire Sauce

3 Cloves Garlic - minced

3 Green Onion Shoots - sliced

1 Tbsp. Sesame Oil

¼ Cup Brown Sugar

2 Tbsp. White Sugar

¼ Cup Rice Wine Vinegar

1-2 Tbsp. Toasted Sesame Seeds

Red Pepper flakes to taste (¼ Tsp.)

Black Pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in glass bowl until sugars are dissolved.

Marinate meat for at least 2 hours, overnight is best.

Skewer beef and grill or broil

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

OMG- is your DH and my DH the same person??

[QUOTE]You think that's baffling?  His food aversions get even weirder: -No eating the same type of protein more than once in a day, even if prepared differently -Even if a tiny bit is used in a recipe, he won't eat anything that contains condiments, dressings, vinegar, sour cream, mayo, or cheeses other than American, provolone, or mozzerella -Nothing purchased from Trader Joe's, just because "that place is weird" -Salads must be purchased from a restaurant and can't be made at home... Yep, it's fun trying to feed this guy.  Can we say OCD? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]You think that's baffling?  His food aversions get even weirder:

My aunt won't eat any food that is red or green, or anything that has touched something else on the plate.

I won't eat anything squishy or slimy, and have rather broad definitions of both.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

will he do parmasean?

I have a great parmesean and herb encrusted prok recipe. you can use a pork loin or pork chop.
    You lightly rub the pork with olive oil, then combine in a bowl shredded or grated parmesean chese, pepper, rosemary, and salt. press the dry mix onto the pork until a crust is made. Cook at 425 in a skillet or baking dish for 30-45 mins.

I usually put some roasting potatos and carrots or something in the pan too, so that it's a one-dish dinner.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

[QUOTE] -Nothing purchased from Trader Joe's, just because "that place is weird" 

I love that - too funny.  My husband is the opposite - OBSESSED with Trader Joe's even though I keep telling him I don't like a place where my only option is to buy 15 onions at once.  (I do like it, just not for everything)

I second Lucy's allrecipes.com referral - I love their reviews.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

There's an IPhone (and ITouch) allrecipes application. It's the dinner spinner. You choose a dish type (main dish, salad, side dish, etc) and ingredient and how long you want to cook (slow cooker, 20 mins or less, 45 mins etc) and it comes up with a list of suggestions and the suggestions link to the actual recipe.

oh and it's free!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT - Dinner recipes : I love that - too funny.  My husband is the opposite - OBSESSED with Trader Joe's even though I keep telling him I don't like a place where my only option is to buy 15 onions at once.  (I do like it, just not for everything)
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

That's exactly how I feel.  They have wonderful and fabulous cheese, but I don't need ten tomatoes, and if I did, I would prefer to pick them myself.  My SO loves them, though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]Yep, it's fun trying to feed this guy.  Can we say OCD? 

I think that's when I'd say, feed yourself!!!  OK OK I know we all need to do our share of cooking :o)

This week we made a boxed rice and beans and ate it with corn and grilled chicken.  Soooo yummy!  I think the rice brand was New Orleans?

I do hear him on the same protein in one day... I try not to do that most of the time.  Like today I knew I was eating leftover grilled chicken for dinner, so I had egg salad for lunch.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

My mom makes the yummiest pork chops, baked in a sauce made of onion soup and mushroom soup mixed together... No idea how bad it is for you, but it tastes so good!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fram, perfect baked braising example!  LONG LIVE BRAISING!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I've never really enjoyed cooking but I'm trying to get myself to like it.  Here's a simple recipe that I love and our guests always seem to enjoy it too!

Tri-colored tortellini (really any pasta would do)
    Red pasta sauce (I'm not going to lie I buy whatever is cheapest)
    1/2 cup of light cream
    1 lb boiled, shreadded chicken breast

Heat up the pasta sauce, light cream and chicken.  Boil your pasta.  Pour the sauce over it.  You're done, so simple but delicious. 

If DH has already had chicken that day you can definitely skip that part.  I enjoy putting store bought garlic bread on the side. 

On a side note, Pugs, how is DH holding up?  And have things improved with MIL?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Also, if he won't eat the same protein twice in one day, you can substitute ground turkey for ground beef in virtually any recipe.  It's healthier, too. 

I actually find that, with tacos, the ground turkey holds the Mexican seasoning better, anyway.  So it tastes better.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yes!!! chicken breast in cream of mushroom soup is a favorite of mine!

Fram, perfect baked braising example!  LONG LIVE BRAISING!
    Posted by kargiver

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

yes!!! chicken breast in cream of mushroom soup is a favorite of mine! In Response to Re: OT - Dinner recipes :
    Posted by pinkkittie27

You know, that sounds so weird, and yet, I happen to know that it's delicious.  This is why, often, when eating something, I say, "Wait! Don't tell me what's in it!"*  Laughing

* Unless what is in it is a peanut.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

On a side note, Pugs, how is DH holding up?  And have things improved with MIL?
    Posted by clc51510

DH is doing great; thanks for asking!  His recovery has been amazing.  He does get a little frustrated sometimes because he can't do a lot of the things he's used to for a few weeks (drive, lift heavy objects, etc), but that will fade as he starts feeling more like himself.

MIL was actually pretty good while DH was in the hospital.  I thought things were better until he got home, and then she started calling my cell phone incessantly (including while I was at work) to ask how DH was doing.  Why she wouldn't call DH, I'm not sure.  I let it go to voicemail each time and I haven't called her back, and it seems she may have taken the hint.  However, she has been stopping by the house sometimes during the day, which is great -- DH has company/someone to bring him food, and I get out of spending time with her.  Everybody wins!  Laughing

Thanks for all the recipe ideas everyone!  It gets tough trying to think of something new to make every night.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Do you have a crockpot?  I seem to remember an entire crockpot recipe thread not that long ago.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pugs, great news he's on track and so is MIL.  If she's still exhibiting some bad behavior at least it seems she's teachable. :)

Do you have a large (4 or more quart) saute pan?

P.S.  Yes, it was Trex who started the crock pot thread, and it was a big success, lots of great recipes.  If you don't have one, now's the time!  They aren't a big investment*, and they pay for themselves with the inexpensive roasts you can make that always come out tender, juicy, and delicious.

*unless you get the All Clad one I'm dying for at Williams Sonoma...it's 3 or 4 hundred bucks. Oh, well.  The stoneware cheapy one I have works great so can't justify it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I love to make this recipe (and it's really easy):

Pork chops with apples and onions (sounds weird but is delicious!)

1 onion
    1 apple
    a couple pork chops
    olive oil
    salt & pepper

Chop the apple into bite-sized pieces. Cut the rings on the onion in half, but don't chop into tiny pieces. 

Put some olive oil in a saute pan and add onions and apples. Stir frequently, then set aside and cover
    Salt and pepper both sides of the pork chops, then put them into the same saute pan that the apples and onions were in. 
    Cook about six minutes on each side. 
    Serve with apple and onion mixture over them. 

I like to use sides of green beans and maybe some stovetop stuffing.