OT- Dutch Oven recipes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

OT- Dutch Oven recipes?

DH and I recently bought a dutch oven. However, my mother never used one, and we have no recipes for it. We went online, but the two we tried were underwhelming. One was for mac & cheese, which I already knew how to make using a casserole dish, and the other was for yankee pot roast, but it was way too salty.

Any ideas or recipes to share? I'd be really grateful!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

Re: OT- Dutch Oven recipes?

Coq au Vin!  The Williams Sonoma recipe is outstanding:
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/coq-au-vin2.html

Also, boeuf bourguignon is a great dutch oven recipe.  I'm partial to Julia Child's recipe, but you can find a lot of variations out there.  GL!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Any kind of stew or casserole can be made in a dutch oven. Just experiment w/ cooking time.  All other ingredients should be whatever they are for a crock pot or casserole dish. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: OT- Dutch Oven recipes?:
    [QUOTE]Coq au Vin!  The Williams Sonoma recipe is outstanding: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/coq-au-vin2.html Also, boeuf bourguignon is a great dutch oven recipe.  I'm partial to Julia Child's recipe, but you can find a lot of variations out there.  GL!
    Posted by mezzogal1124[/QUOTE]

I'm not brave enough to try boeuf bourguignon, but I'll bet DH would!

I will definitely do Coq au Vin!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

How is a dutch oven different than just a big pot?  Just curious.  I have one from the Le Creuset outlet but I just use it a lot to make soups and stews.  It is my favorite pot, but all those recipes can be made in a regular pot if you don't have one. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

[QUOTE]How is a dutch oven different than just a big pot?  Just curious.  I have one from the Le Creuset outlet but I just use it a lot to make soups and stews.  It is my favorite pot, but all those recipes can be made in a regular pot if you don't have one. 
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]
    That's true, they can. So don't let a lack of a dutch oven keep you from trying stews, etc.
    As to how they're different, dutch ovens are designed for use in the oven, and are better at distributing heat evenly than a regular pot, which is designed for stove-top use. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yes, I'm a big fan of being able to take something off the stovetop and put it right in the oven. Less dishes to wash!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I made that Williams Sonoma Coq au Vin, and it ROCKED!!!  But, I will say, do it on the weekend; it took me a long time...3 1/2 hours, total, I think.

I also used Gnarly Head Pinor Noir ($11/bottle) for the wine reduction.  Excellent.  Get two bottles so you can have a glass with dinner.  You use one whole bottle (reduced by 1/2 in a sauce pan first) for the recipe itself.

Once I did that, my first dutch oven experience, I've used it many other times with other meats, veggie, and wine.  You can modify it endless ways.  Some markets mark meat according to how its best cooked.  Look for meat that says "braise."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]I made that Williams Sonoma Coq au Vin, and it ROCKED!!!  But, I will say, do it on the weekend; it took me a long time...3 1/2 hours, total, I think. I also used Gnarly Head Pinor Noir ($11/bottle) for the wine reduction.  Excellent.  Get two bottles so you can have a glass with dinner.  You use one whole bottle (reduced by 1/2 in a sauce pan first) for the recipe itself. Once I did that, my first dutch oven experience, I've used it many other times with other meats, veggie, and wine.  You can modify it endless ways.  Some markets mark meat according to how its best cooked.  Look for meat that says "braise."
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Yes, two votes of confidence!
    I hope we are as successful as you, and after giving this a whirl we'll be able to get a real feel for how to use this thing and maybe be able to improvise in the future.

DH is in wine sales, so we're always glad when recipes call for wine- we have more bottles than we know what to do with!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The steps to the Coq au Vin recipe as a collection make the recipe look complicated, but really each step is "Easy" if I were to rate it on an Easy, Medium, Hard scale.  Pink, I think you'll hit the ground running with this and really be impressed with the result.  No experience is required whatsoever, just follow the directions and start early enough to not be stressed about getting it in the oven at a certain time.

Trex, the weight of the pot and the tight fitting lid make it a dutch oven.  Being able to hold its own heat is imperative.  So, a large stainless pot doesn't make a very good dutch oven; it's not heavy enough like cast iron is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

ah, I get it.  I've never used mine in the oven.  Are there other good recipes for it that don't take as long?  The Coq au Vin sounds good, but I don't really have 3.5 hours to spend cooking... I wish I did!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

[QUOTE]ah, I get it.  I've never used mine in the oven.  Are there other good recipes for it that don't take as long?  The Coq au Vin sounds good, but I don't really have 3.5 hours to spend cooking... I wish I did!!!
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

There are plenty.  The thing is with the coq au vin, the actual prep time is not that much.  I'm trying to remember how long it took me to chop/prepare everything...maybe an hour?  The other time was just waiting for it to be done (it simmers a long time in the oven) and I did other things.  So, you're not spending 3.5 hours actively cooking!  :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mezzo, if you could do the prep for the Coq au Vin in an hour, kudos to you!  My prep time (active cooking time that included browning and removing bacon, browning and removing chicken, sauteing veggies, reducing the wine, creating the flour/butter rue, etc, not to mention peeling/chopping everything first) took well over an hour, but I have to admit, I didn't exactly hurry, per se. 

You can essentially use the dutch oven, though, as you would a crockpot.  The browning of the meat is NOT essential, nor is rendering bacon for the fat, nor is reducing a bottle of wine by 1/2 first.  You can use whatever veggies, braising meat, and liquid you want.  The liquid should come up no farther than 1/2 way up the meat.  And, you can look up how long to slow cook about anything online.  325 should be your highest temp in a dutch oven because the whole idea is to slow cook it so the connective tissues that make braising meat tough break down in the moist, low heat. 

Here's a quick prep generic recipe:

Dice 4 cups of veggies of choice.  My favorite combo is carrots, turnips, onions and celery hearts.  I also squeeze in some prepped garlic.

Preheat oven to 325

While preheating oven, Shake a cheap 4 - 5 lb roast in a bag with flour to coat.  Brown in 3 tablespoons of butter on all sides, 3 minutes each on medium high.  Add veggies, cook 5 minutes.  Add 1/2 chicken stock 1/2 beer (or wine) mixture until it comes up 1/2 way on the roast.  Stir in 3 Tbl of tomato paste and 2 Tbl of generic Italian herb blend.  (Or, you can do other spices, like a curry blend.)  Add salt and pepper (sorry, I have no idea how much).  Cover, set in oven.  Cook about 42 minutes per pound for pork, anyway.  The last thing I did was a bone-in pork shoulder ("pulled pork") that was a huge 7 lbs.  Cooked 5 hours after the stove part.  You don't need to do the post-roasting portion that the Coq au Vin recipe calls for.  Taste the broth, adjust salt and pepper.

That prep wouldn't take more than 30 minutes.  Just start it early enough to allow for oven time. 

It's really a weekend dish no matter what if you get home after 3:00 and want to eat before midnight. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Anyone trying this for the first time this weekend? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

For anyone interested, there are 3 lovely Dutch Oven stews in yesterday's Sunday Globe Magazine. One basic with two variations:

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/articles/2011/02/20/three_classic_french_beef_stews/

Bon appetite!- Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's a great link, Pingo!  Not only are those 3 recipes delicious (I've made things very close to all three versions), but it shows how versatile the basic braised stew is and will give even a timid beginner direction on making changes to their liking.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

No-knead bread!  Makes an awesome, crusty delicious bakery-like loaf.

sooo yum!  it's been too long since i made this style of recipe.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jim-in-Littleton. Show Jim-in-Littleton's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT- Dutch Oven recipes? : That's true, they can. So don't let a lack of a dutch oven keep you from trying stews, etc. As to how they're different, dutch ovens are designed for use in the oven, and are better at distributing heat evenly than a regular pot, which is designed for stove-top use. 
    Posted by mezzogal1124[/QUOTE]

Dutch ovens weren't desgined to be used in an oven.  When they were designed there were no ovens as we currently know them.  The Dutch Oven was desgined to be used in or over an open fire.  Back in the days before major appliances existed, the Dutch Oven WAS the oven.

Standard pots are desgined to heat/cook their contents from the bottom. The Dutch oven is desgined to transfer heat completely throughout itself so the contents cook/bake from all side as well as top and bottom.

Yes, you can use either on a stove-top and you can put a dutch oven in a conventional oven.  But try baking bisquits or bread in a standard pot over an open fire and you'll quickly find a huge difference.  You can bake, stew, boil or fry in it...  The Dutch oven became popular because it did pretty much everything - no 15-piece cookware sets needed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

We made the Coq Au Vin on Sunday and it was incredible! We were able to cut the prep time in half by splitting the duties. I chopped up everything and got all the ingredients measured and ready, DH did the actual cooking.
    We had a lot of fun and were thrilled with the results!
    Can't wait to try these other recipes!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT- Dutch Oven recipes? : Dutch ovens weren't desgined to be used in an oven.  When they were designed there were no ovens as we currently know them.  The Dutch Oven was desgined to be used in or over an open fire.  Back in the days before major appliances existed, the Dutch Oven WAS the oven. Standard pots are desgined to heat/cook their contents from the bottom. The Dutch oven is desgined to transfer heat completely throughout itself so the contents cook/bake from all side as well as top and bottom. Yes, you can use either on a stove-top and you can put a dutch oven in a conventional oven.  But try baking bisquits or bread in a standard pot over an open fire and you'll quickly find a huge difference.  You can bake, stew, boil or fry in it...  The Dutch oven became popular because it did pretty much everything - no 15-piece cookware sets needed.
    Posted by Jim-in-Littleton[/QUOTE]
    That's so interesting.  I didn't know all that, and it has given me a new appreciation for the dutch oven.  Thank you for sharing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Okay, so to lower the tone of this entire conversation.  Every time I scroll down and see this subject heading, I giggle to myself.

I am the first to admit I am beyond childish.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

DH and I love to make lamb shanks in our dutch oven. Shanks with red wine, musrooms, onions, garlic, broth simmering all day in the oven...YUM!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Or try a lamb stew with lentils.
    If I make it week days, I use my crock pot, but if I am home over the weekend - I use my Dutch oven.
    I do love my crock pot and use it a lot. But the Dutch oven makes the dishes far better. Unfortunately with everyone working these days, very few have the time tending to it. - Pingo

[QUOTE]DH and I love to make lamb shanks in our dutch oven. Shanks with red wine, musrooms, onions, garlic, broth simmering all day in the oven...YUM!
    Posted by kiwigal[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hm! - Am I THAT old, that I don't get it? Dutch oven recipes - don't think there is much to giggle about - really. What is so funny, Pinkey? Please tell us.
    - Pingo

[QUOTE]Okay, so to lower the tone of this entire conversation.  Every time I scroll down and see this subject heading, I giggle to myself. I am the first to admit I am beyond childish.
    Posted by Prill[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Prill, I don't get it, either...is there a double entendre I'm not getting?