OT- Dutch Oven recipes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: OT- Dutch Oven recipes?

Yeah, how plebian it would be to call them "green beans."  ;)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I know what you girls mean about the green beans. But actually, Haricot Vert are a French version of green beans. Just like there are different varieties of cucumbers. Re: Hot house or English cukes. They are longer and a lot slender and a much more tender. They are not the kind we generally buy at the supermarkets called string beans.
    Some gourmet stores carry them - and if you had a chance to try the real ones, (not the ones the stores have renamed HV, which they do) you will definitely find a taste difference. If you visited Europe and had green beans, you would probably have had HVs. - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: OT- Dutch Oven recipes?:
    [QUOTE]I know what you girls mean about the green beans. But actually, Haricot Vert are a French version of green beans. Just like there are different varieties of cucumbers. Re: Hot house or English cukes. They are longer and a lot slender and a much more tender. They are not the kind we generally buy at the supermarkets called string beans. Some gourmet stores carry them - and if you had a chance to try the real ones, (not the ones the stores have renamed HV, which they do) you will definitely find a taste difference. If you visited Europe and had green beans, you would probably have had HVs. - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

well yes, I know there is a french variety, but the ones I've had in restaurants are usually the same green beans I'm buying from the grocery store.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Pinkie,
    You are right, but it is not true HV then. The restaurant just call them that to be fancy, in order to charge you a few bucks more for the meal. - Pingo

In Response to Re: OT- Dutch Oven recipes?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT- Dutch Oven recipes? : well yes, I know there is a french variety, but the ones I've had in restaurants are usually the same green beans I'm buying from the grocery store.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just to add to the "green bean" postings - if anyone at all still read it. I found the HV at our local S & S. They sell in 1/2 lbs packages under the name: "French Green Beans" for $3.49. That is $7.00/lbs. WOW!
    - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Everything is going up...can't wait to eat for "free" out of the garden (quoted for all the work DH does to grow it!).  I can't go to the grocery store for under $100 anymore, and it's just the two of us.  OK, and a few marrow bones for Gracie.

Another reason the dutch oven is a great option.   The cheapest cuts of meat (marked "for Braising") are absolutely delightful - worthy of serving to company - if cooked in the dutch oven.  You can use cheap veggies, too, like the lowly root vegetables.  And, instead of wine you can use canned stock.