OT-Email Typos

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

OT-Email Typos

One of my co-workers isn't very good with English although 90% of the time I can understand her. Today, i recieved an email where she appologized for the "incontinence". Gotta love spell check. While I understand what word she meant to use, at 4:30 this made me giggle.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Re: OT-Email Typos

That's funny!

Some of my coworkers don't even bother with spell check.  I get emails that say things like "Can yu move the meeeting to tonite? tahkns!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I can't come up with the word she meant...inconvenience?  That's pretty funny.  "Sorry I peed while we were talking earlier."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

lol, kar!

At my old company, there was this one high-ranking person who was the dumbest person I have ever met. He can't conjugate verbs (he's a native English speaker), doesn't know the difference between nouns and verbs, and is just generally unintelligible. At meetings he would say things like, "The company is what the company are!" Perplexing. 

One day he came around to our offices while we were taking a break and chatting. He decided to join in and was telling us about his dog--his cocker spaniard. He went on and on about his spaniard, and then when he left my boss said, "I wonder how many other people know he's keeping small Spanish people as pets."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

yes kar, she meant inconvenience. not quite the same thing as incontinence, although i can imagine that would be inconvenient

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Oooh... do Cocker Spaniards do dishes?  I would like to get one.  I shall name him Inigo Montoya.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, seriously, WPP - I'm laughing so hard!  Spaniard!!!! 

Was he from the South?  I lived in NC for a year, and I found people just as perplexing there; sometimes I couldn't even derive what they were meaning to say.  Or, Pennsylvania?  My parents live there, and my mom was talking to a woman who said her mother suffered from Old Timer's Disease.  My mom asked her if she meant "Alzheimer's," and the woman, with a quizzical look on her face said, "No, OLD TIMER'S," like my mom was the idiot.  Over the years, she's heard other people refer to it that way there so it wasn't just that one person.

I think we take people's good English for granted here in the Northeast.  Try going to the Wedding Channel for a good grammatical laugh.  There was one thread that I couldn't help with because I couldn't understand the issue of the OP.  Not a clue.  Even after I asked her to explain further it was futile.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

LOL, oh ladies, I needed that laugh this morning. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I've heard Alzheimer's referred to as "Old Timer's Disease" many, many times.  I believe it's an intentional joke, rather than a mistake.

Then again, maybe it's one of those things where people hear the joke so much, they don't realize it's a joke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

NO, lucy, I have, too.  These people have never heard of Alzheimer's and will correct you if you use that word.  It's hard to believe...I guess you just have to have the conversations with them to believe it.

I SWEAR, they realllllllllllllly think it's Old Timer's Disease.  Sad, but true.  Really.  They even run the words together to sound like one word, "Oldtimers."

P.S.   Actually, now that I'm thinking about it more, I remember my mom saying that she wasn't sure what they were saying at first.  They make "oldtimers" sound kind of like Alzheimer's so it was, at first, unintelligible.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Inconvenience vrs 
    Incontinence

It is an easy typo to make and spell checker will never pick it up.  I know a co-worker made this mistake several times.  I have made it before and I do spell check a lot because I am a horrible speller.  After I spell check I do go back and read things (at least my professional stuff) a loud before I send it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

While we're talking about typos:

I cannot type "many" without stopping to think about it.  My best friend's name is "Mandy," and I *always* throw in the "d" because my fingers work faster than my brain.

I cannot type "statue," because I have been a lawyer for too long.  My fingers always type "statute," no matter what my brain says.  Did it just now, actually.  Cool

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from spinningwheel. Show spinningwheel's posts

I had a friend who used spell-check but always accepted its suggestions without question, so one day he sent an email to the entire company (a large and fancy one) regarding something about people's "bilabial" hours (spell-check didn't recognize "billable").  It's not *necessarily* dirty, but I still giggle all these years later.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

HA!  I get that, too.  Spell-check likes to do some interesting things with Latin words.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I am laughing so hard!  I love cocker spaniard!

I was emailing a coworker named Bob, and luckily I proofread my emails before I send because I had written "Hi Booob"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

very true scorpio, however I have found if you mis-type convenience wrong enough incontinence is one of their suggestions. very smart idea to read stuff outloud first though.

dbk, it took a second read through on WPP's post to get what was so funny. my brain automatically went to 'spaniel'

half the time i type Chris, i keep going and type Christ.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

The letters T and G are very close to each other on a keyboard. This became all too apparent to me years ago when I subsequently ended a work email with the phrase "Regards"    Thanks God it wasn't anyone higher up!  But everytime I seen the girl I sent it to, we would both just crack up laughing.  Double check my emails every time now : )

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

my boss once send a client named Tina a message that read "Hi Tuna....." ugh! his dang iphone populated the word automatically and he didn't proof it before hitting send. sad part is i think he actually proofed the message but he knew her name so just started below the greeting.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, my - reg/tards...oops!  LOL ambergirl.

And, Tuna!  HA!

This is a great thread...very entertaining.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Not a typo but....
    Someone at a friends company a few weeks ago hit "reply all" to a company wide email,  and in doing so announced to all that someone else on staff was out of the office having "female surgery".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How embarrassing.  I bet the woman it was about was a recipient, too, and will see it in her inbox when she gets back.

By the way, I found out that "recall message" in Outlook doesn't actually remove the email from anyone's inbox, it just gives the recipient a message, "Kargiver wishes to recall this message."  Uh, thanks a heap for THAT feature.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

yea, that is really annoy kar. it's great you want to recall your email but everyone has already seen it by that point.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

And, even if they haven't seen it yet, it's still sitting there completely accessible.  The only thing that it accomplishes is letting people know you are 100% aware of your mistake and are totally mortified.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

gmail now has an "unsend" feature, but it's only available for about a minute

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: OT-Email Typos:
    gmail now has an "unsend" feature, but it's only available for about a minute
    Posted by pinkkittie27

I love that feature.

Sections
Shortcuts