OT-Extreme Couponing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Re: OT-Extreme Couponing

I didn't see that show but I definitely know people that do that... MIL would be one of them.  She can't pass up a good sale, which is fine, but really 10 bottles of maple syrup because they were Buy 1, Get 1 Free???  When my DH goes to visit she often sends him back with some of the most bizarre groceries because she stockpiled during a sale. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Northern, I did not see the show, you are mentioning. But coupon collecting/shopping is a disease for some people. My neighbor has 4 of those little coupon files bursting.
    Once, when her car was out of commission, she asked me if she could go shopping with me. Fine, until we came to the check out. She would then search through her coupon files for coupons for the products, she had in her cart. It took forever, and people behind her were so annoyed (can add this to grievance thread). When we left she boasted, that she had saved $11.00.
    She has stock piles of things, she will never use. Every so often she brings over a grocery bag with some "extras". Expired stuff. I keep telling her, that I don't want them. So in reality, she has not saved anything.
    This past Monday morning, during the snowstorm, she called me if I was going out. If so, could take her to Bed, Bath and Beyond. She had two coupons, that expired that day. Of course I was not going anywhere. I don't know, what she was thinking.
    I use some coupons, if I remember I have them. But I never buy anything, I don't use - just because I have  coupon for it. I am more like a "for sale" person. I stock up on non perishable items, like my detergent f.ex., when it is on sale. It often comes for sale as for 2 for 1. Then I grab a few. - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Same here Pingo. Canned tommatos and some of the soups I use in recipes were on sale for $1 a can, saving about .70 a can. I bought a bunch for my pantry. Not 100 cans mind you but enough to last me awhile and it's been nice knowing I can just grab them from my panty rather than having to remember if I have any when I stop in at the store.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have seen similar shows; not sure if I've seen that one.

But, I think it's strange, a form of hoarding, to do that to that extreme.  Like collecting things that bring you joy (like teapots, for example) is GOOD.  Collecting junk to the point that it ruins your life is BAD.  Deodorant and such does eventually go bad.  It's not saving  money if you have to throw a ton of "turned" stuff away.

I like a good sale and do use coupons, but ONLY for things I'd have bought for full price anyway because I deem them an honest to goodness need or I reallllly want them.  I do not buy things simply because they are on sale or because I have a coupon.

Anytime I buy anything online I do a google search for a coupon code first.  I usually find free shipping or 5 - 10% off.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Someone posted on another blog that one of the women featured did give a lot of the stuff she bought to the food pantry and I am all for that. They just didn't show that part in the show. Proabably because it wasn't as interesting as seeing how much stuff she collected and how much she buys when she shops.

My other question is, how do you know when you need to stock up when you already have so much of something?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

To answer your question, Northern - they don't know. My neighbor must have 30 boxes of pasta (at least they keep for a while), but if she get another coupon for 5 more, she MUST go and buy them. It is the adrenalin, they get to save a few pennies.
    One summer we had a cook out for our neighbors. She told me not to buy bbq sauce, because she had plenty. The day before the bbq she brought over 3 bottles. We couldn't even get it out of the bottles - it was totally dried out. They went straight into the trash. But knowing her, of course I had some of my own. That was the same cookout she brought 2 bags of rancid potato chips. Her contribution to the cook out. W/o her knowing it, I quickly exchanged the bags. Oh boy, I could tell you a lot more stories. Like f. ex. the time, when she brought a tin of cookies to our NYE party, that was expired a year earlier.
    She is really a nice person, she just has this obsession with her coupons. She will look at them an re-arrange them daily. When you visit her, she has all those coupons spread all over her kitchen table.
     - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I'm all for a good deal and hardly ever buy anything NOT on sale, but I only buy the things that I need or will use in the near future.  I bet these people spend WAAY more money over people who just buy what they need.   
       My mom has this tendency and hopefully it doesn't wear off on me. She'll see a sale price on an item like a jacket lets say that was $500, but now it's 150!! Such a deal!! But did she intend on buying a jacket, does she need a jacket? NO! So she will spend so much money on things that she doesn't need just b/c it's on sale.  I do however have this problem with TJMaxx and the like,  I know I end up buying things that I wouldn't have bought if they were at the mall for a few dollars more...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

I love coupons, sales and discounts, but only on items that i have what I can an "immedate need" for...

If I don't have an "immediate need" for something or if I don't use the item, no sense in buying it...

I will take the time to scan for coupons, sales and discounts at stores...and plan my shopping accordingly...  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Exactly how I see it, ajuly - that's $150 lost, not $350 saved.

Sections
Shortcuts