OT: Friday Poll

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

OT: Friday Poll

It's been awhile since we've had a Friday poll on these boards so I'm reinstating it. I also finished my BBQ shopping and yardwork earlier than I thought today, so I need some entertainment. :)

So tell us, what's your favorite thing to do or favorite part about Boston in summer?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: OT: Friday Poll

Hold on, usually there has to be a post to a thread with a poll to see it display...here goes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nope, I still don't see it.  Anyone else?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

I don't see it either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

I think she's just asking the question.

My favorite thing about summer in Boston is being able to walk around the city and enjoy all the wonderful things about it: the waterfront, the North End, the Esplanade, the Public Garden. It's not nearly as enjoyable when it's cold, rainy, or snowy.

ETA: My favorite activity, as touristy as it may be, is the 4th of July on the Esplanade, just not this year or the last couple of years. I love when it falls on a mid-week day, so it's not as crowded.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Yup, sorry, I didn't add an actual poll, just asking the question. Laughing

I like the watermelon Italian ice they sell on the Common. $3 for a small, but it's delicious and quintessential summer to me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

I love the duck tour and even the trolley tour was good too!  I love taking a walk near Beacon St and taking pictures of all the beautiful homes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, oops, sorry.

Hm, I like to go in and walk through the Public Garden at tulip time.  Very rejuvenating after a long, cold winter.  And, yeah, it might be trite, but the 4th of July on the Esplanade is awesome and one of my favs, too.  I like to doddle along Newbury Street and bop in and out of stores I'd never buy anything in and eat al fresco somewhere with tableclothes and a nice wine list.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikadoWeddings. Show MikadoWeddings's posts

I love all the furry friends strolling around! My dog gets so excited when we go into the city because he gets to see so many other dogs around!

Enjoy the nice weather everyone! :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

I do like the feasts in the North End every summer.   The smells...the parade and the general fun.  of course, the pastries. 

not a big fan of the tourist traps, but I occasionally like going to faneuil hall during the summer.  lousy place to be in the winter.  great place to people watch.  i get a kick out of the people out on a "first date" and they're trying to "make an impression" on the person they're with...I also got a kick out of the drunks and the pub crawlers..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Strolling in the Arboretum or the Esplanade, I also love eating brunch on a sidewalk patio.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

You know, I've never been on the Esplanade and I don't even know where the Arboretum is. Is there anywhere to park to go to the Esplanade? Do you get there by walking over the Longfellow?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The Esplanade is the grassy "beach" on the Boston side of the Charles from about Copley all the way through BU which streches for miles (anyone feel free to correct me - I don't know for sure where it begins and ends).  The Longfellow Bridge does hit it, but it's not the only way to "get there" (quoted because "there" is a pretty long area).  As for parking, there's no "Esplanade" parking lot, per se.  If it made sense from my house, I'd park at a T lot and ride in.  But, there's not much to see, really, on non-event days.  There's the 4th, and the Head of the Charles Regatta, and that's about it.  Otherwise, it's just a nice, paved walk along the Charles that is not worth going to much trouble to get to imo.  

I think the Arnold Arboretum, while owned by Harvard, is actually in Jamaica Plain, although the address says Boston - I guess that's true of all of JP...  Anyway, here's the website: Arnold Arboretum

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

In Response to Re: OT: Friday Poll:
    The Esplanade is the grassy "beach" on the Boston side of the Charles from about Copley all the way through BU which streches for miles (anyone feel free to correct me - I don't know for sure where it begins and ends).  The Longfellow Bridge does hit it, but it's not the only way to "get there" (quoted because "there" is a pretty long area).  As for parking, there's no "Esplanade" parking lot, per se.  If it made sense from my house, I'd park at a T lot and ride in.  But, there's not much to see, really, on non-event days.  There's the 4th, and the Head of the Charles Regatta, and that's about it.  Otherwise, it's just a nice, paved walk along the Charles that is not worth going to much trouble to get to imo.   I think the Arnold Arboretum, while owned by Harvard, is actually in Jamaica Plain, although the address says Boston - I guess that's true of all of JP...  Anyway, here's the website:  Arnold Arboretum
    Posted by kargiver

JP is one of boston's neighborhoods...there is on street parking and can get "tight"....the Arboretum is on the Jamaicaway...

another favorite spot of mine is jamaica pond...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Parking on the J-way is dangerous - cars fly by very fast (way over the speed limit), and it's curvy.  There's no Aboretum parking?  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

not really, Kargiver..i know alot of people park @ the entrance, but mostly in the street around "the arbs"...i also know Harvard is fussy about maintaining the green space..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Huh...I guess that's why I never went.  I actually lived in JP for a couple of summers in college.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I always park on the Arborway and the other streets around it. I've never had a close call with a car around there. I usually bring my dog, and I just always make sure to take him out of whatever car door is facing the curb. There are kids and dogs all over the place there, so most drivers exercise caution.

I go all the time, it's one of my favorite places in the city.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I agree with pinkkittie about the parking at the Arboretum. There's plenty on the Arborway and Centre St. Anyone familiar with those roads knows to look out for cars and people around that area. Same with Jamaica Pond which is another great spot. When DH and I were first married, we lived a short walk from the Arboretum. We'd go for a walk there every evening we could. I miss that a lot! It's also very T-accessible. Just a 5 minute walk up the Arborway from the Forrest Hills station.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Now that I'm actually back in the city for the summer Laughing, I just enjoying walking around during my lunch break. I'm by downtown crossing and it's fun to just get out and see the city alive again with the warm weather.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

although downtown crossing isn't what it used to be..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

way to rain on my parade, thanks laryan

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Haha, downtown crossing is particularly scary at night. I really like the DSW and H&M over there, though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Yeah, the loss of Filene's really killed it over there, but all the better for me. I find much better stuff at the stores there now that the foot traffic has died down.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

In Response to Re: OT: Friday Poll:
    way to rain on my parade, thanks laryan
    Posted by NorthernLghts

sorry NortherLights!

Sections
Shortcuts