OT-Gift Ideas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

OT-Gift Ideas

My 8 month old niece is being christened next weekend and I am her godmother :-). I'm having trouble coming up with a gift to get for her. I know i'll be getting her a savings bond but i also want to get her something that will last longer. My godmother got me a small gold bracelet that I still have and because my wrists are so small, i could actually wearing it up until a few years ago. I've looked and i can't find a piece of jewelry that i really like. I had thought about maybe giving her a cross jewelry box with her name on it. Any other ideas or would that work?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Re: OT-Gift Ideas

Funny thing is I don't remember giving my god daughters anything for their baptism does that make me a bad god mother? :)  I did make one god daughter a bracelet of different saints for her first communion last year with a letter telling her about the saints and why I chose them for her.  And for the second god daughter that is making her first communion in April I am making her a necklace with St. Francis of Assis medal because she LLLOOOVVEEESSSS (her words not mine) horses and animals.

You could do a frame with the date engraved and be sure to update it each year with a picture of the two of you.

You could do an angel figurine

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A jewelry box is a nice idea.  Little girls enjoy having their own little special place to put their treasures (which could be anything from shells, rocks, pictures, etc. not just jewelry).

I know you've said you can't find a piece of jewelry you like, but if you do find a pendant, that would be nice, too, because she can replace the chain over the years so she will not outgrow it.

Other than that, babies aren't aware of anything you give them right now, and who knows what her interests might be when she's older.  A cross pendant will be worn and treasured no matter what as will a jewelry box.

Maybe this isn't worth posting 'cause I don't have any brilliant alternatives...oh, well, fwiw, here it is. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

thanks kar, most of the pieces of jewelry i have seen are just really heavy and really flashy ie covered in crystals. She also already has a small bracelet with her name on it. Quite the little lady at 8 months lol. I couldn't find just a nice simple cross or something similiar. I may look again this weekend when i go shoping. I know she's a little young to remember the whole thing, but still :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

You could start a pearl necklace for her.  At the christening you could give her a chain with one pearl on it.  Each year (or 5 years depending on how much you're willing to spend you) you could add to the necklace.  Pearls never go out of style and I'm sure it will be something she'll cherish when she's older.  Might even be something she'll wear on her wedding day!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

I had the same problem and ended up getting this necklace for my niece.  It's small, simple and I figured it something she would grow into.  Good luck

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Congratulations! I know how thrilled I was when my cousin asked me to be her baby's godmother.

This might sound silly, but what about a Bible? Either a nice one that she'll have forever or a "my first Bible" kind of thing? I'm also getting her a crib cross similiar to this one: http://www.catholicfaithstore.com/Store/Products/Item/-47/1/Kneeling-Girl-Cross-with-Baby-Rosary-Set_13629.html

Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Ooh!  I still have my "My first Bible."

If I recall correctly, I got it when I was four or five.  It is illustrated with Precious Moments characters.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I agree with the chain.  As she gets older and understands it you could replace the chain with a larger one. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

thanks guys! these are great ideas Smile

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Things went very well this weekend. i think she was the only baby who didn't make a peep during the service (except for maybe a laugh or two). I ended up getting her this which she can grow into wearing. Someone suggested she could wear it for her first communion. Everyone loved it.

During lunch, my sister gave out gifts to the godparents from my niece. I must say for an 8 month old, the girl can shop :-). She got us both jewelry boxes and her 6 month picture (no, that's not my name).