OT - Just lovely

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

OT - Just lovely

So, I wake up this morning, as the rest of you, to the downpour. I hear that there are issues with the green line.  I check.  The green line is running 10-15 minutes slow.  Fine - it's Monday morning, I'm in no real hurry. 

The reason I check is that I do have the ability to work from home so, should the T be non-operational, I would just hang out in my jammies and do research in front of the TV all day with the kitties.  Anyway, again - 10-15 minutes, whatever.  So, I go to the T, where I quickly learn that 10-15 minutes is a gross understatement (also, someone set the MBTA clock ahead two hours instead of one, which gives me a mild heart attack).  When the train finally arrives, there are, naturally, no seats, but I manage to wedge myself into a corner (I need to do whatever possible to prevent other people from ramming into my bad shoulder).  We get on the train, and... we wait.  In between tracks, so there is no getting off.  We wait, we wait, we wait.  Finally, at Fenway, they make us get off.  At this point, I nearly turn around and get on the next train back to Newton.  No, I take the bus to Kenmore, wait for a North Station train, and continue on my merry way.

I finally get to my stop, swim to work, and arrive only to discover that my office window is leaking.  Just. Lovely.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: OT - Just lovely

lucy, what a morning. :(  But, I had to smile when I remembered the Seinfeld where Elaine is on the stuck train on the way to the lesbian wedding.  Her inner dialogue was hysterical especially when it ended in "bleeeeeeeep"!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

If it makes you feel any better I learned this morning my job is being moved to Kansas. It's not for 4 months and they are going to try and relocate us internally (doing who knows what) but still.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Ooh!  Maybe they'll relocate you to the Downtown office! 

At least I had Water for Elephants to read on the T.  That was keeping me happy (although, I had trouble keeping it dry with water streaming off jackets and walking through the rain and stuff).

I asked maintenance about the window.  They said, "Yeah, it's leaking."  Undecided

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Kansas?!  Yikes, didn't you just buy a house?  Oh, man, I hope you get a new position right here, NL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Lucy - I give you so much credit for actually getting to work.  I remember one time I fell 3 times on my way to work - all 3 times in the middle of either Commonwealth Ave or Mass Ave, and turned around and went home.

I love Water for Elephants!  I'm glad you're enjoying it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

In Response to Re: OT - Just lovely:
    Kansas?!  Yikes, didn't you just buy a house?  Oh, man, I hope you get a new position right here, NL.
    Posted by kargiver

Yup. and no worries, they won't move me out of state. It'll still be here in MA and honestly if they put me in Boston it shortens my commute. It's more of an issue i have no idea where i'll be moved. They are going to set up interviews in different departments so we'll see what happens.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Lucy - I give you so much credit for actually getting to work.  I remember one time I fell 3 times on my way to work - all 3 times in the middle of either Commonwealth Ave or Mass Ave, and turned around and went home. I love Water for Elephants!  I'm glad you're enjoying it!
    Posted by poppy609

Honestly, if I didn't have a motion that has to be filed today, I wouldn't have even bothered.  Even though I can work from home, if the draft is sitting on my desk with my boss' corrections, it's difficult to guess what they are.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

NL, you might end up working and doing something better than you have now, you never know - it might be a blessing to have things shaken up as long as you aren't being told "Kansas or nothing."

lucy, I hope your day improves! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Thanks, Kar.  Me, too, because, as it stands, I have no way to get home. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

What you didn't pack your inflatable canoe?Laughing 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Scorpio, your signature seems awfully apropos today... 

Has anyone ever tried to swim the Charles?  To Newton?  Sealed

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe you could enlist Duck Tours for a ride home?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Here Lucy, for your ride home

http://www.boston.com/news/weather/gallery/070209_ark/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Lucy, what an awful morning!
    But at least you are dry now. Several of my employees called in this morning. Can't come to work - our basement is full of water. Now, I don't know everyone's basement, but I do think one or two are just staying at home (you know the employee, that always call in sick Tuesday after a long holiday). Not that I really blame them. Awful day to be out today. But the issue will come up. Is this a "snowday"? We do pay for snowdays w/i reason. But I do not see any snow today - so this will be w/o pay or a vacation day.
    I do give you a lot of credit to continue to go to work under this morning's circumstances. How long did it take you? Lots of roads are closed and they expect many more will be, before this is over. Hope you make it home somehow. Hopefully your boss will let you go home early, after you have filed your motion. Best to you!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Thanks, guys.  :)  I've always wanted an ark.

It took me roughly 1.5 hours to get to work - it should have taken about 45 minutes.  Usually, I get in quickly on Mondays. I arrived pretty soaked, despite my raincoat, wellies, and umbrella.

I am working on options for getting home.  It would certainly help if the rain would actually stop. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Got to work to find our parking lot COMPLETELY flooded.  Like seriously, I didn't know what to do.  Luckily we have a huge parking lot and the perimeter is higher, so I noticed everyone parked over there and was able to find a space.  But it is still raining and it is slowly rising, which freaks me out a little.  When I look out the window, it looks like a lake.  Over a foot deep in the middle.  It really scares me and I wish I could go home... :(

Good luck Lucy!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Scorpio, your signature seems awfully apropos today...  Has anyone ever tried to swim the Charles?  To Newton? 
    Posted by lucy7368

Lucy- I hope that you got my post as a joke as I intended.  I don't know that anyone could have really planned for today. I know I couldn't have, I had been sans TV and internet all weekend.  My lack of electronic forms of communication were pretty much self imposed as we had a busy party filled weekend so I am not complaining.

So far the worst thing (knock on wood) for me is that a road was closed near work but I didn't need the road it just backed things up on the one I normally travel so I am counting my blessings.  I hope things let soon.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Was anyone else trying to get into Boston yesterday (where I was going for work, otherwise would have have put a single body part outside) on the Southeast expressway?  The road was flooded under the bridge at the Adams St exit and apparently they were digging holes in the road to try to make the water go into the earth.  Took me 45 minutes to get from Braintree to that spot.  So much water.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I think my options are:
    1) Wait for my roommate to get off work and come get me (at 6:30 - we would both miss Pilates class)
    2) Take the D line to Kenmore, switch to the bus to Fenway, take the D line to Reservoir, switch to the shuttle bus to take me to Newton (would take about 2 hours - only I would miss Pilates)
    3) Take the C line to the end of the line, walk to Reservoir, and pick up the shuttle bus from there (could take 1.5 to 2 hours).
    4) Take the B line to BC, then take a cab from there (no idea how long it would take or how much it would cost).
    5) Take a cab all the way home (about $70 in normal weather conditions).

But, I didn't think about the commuter rail, which gives me:
    6) Take the commuter rail to Newtonville, then the bus home (I'm pretty sure the bus goes there).

Oh, and let's not forget:
    7)  Pray it stops raining so the D line will resume operations.

ETA:  Scorpio, I knew you were kidding, I just thought it was funny.  Kiss

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I was actually thinking - my roommate works in Wellesley.  So, if I took the commuter rail out there, she could pick me up at the train station, instead of driving all the way downtown.  If it keeps raining, I might do that.

The Newton buses are all delayed, too, so that won't help.  But I'll double check in about an hour and a half, just in case.  Thanks!

ETA:  Actually, the 57 is delayed, not the 52.  I don't know where the 57 goes, but I don't think I would need it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I used to live in Boston and loved it. Missing it a lot of times. But on a day like this - living in the surbs is a blessing. Yes, we do have flooding some places, but not such, we cannot commute. Went out around noon time, and except for the heavy rain things were not that bad. Some roads are closed and lots of detours.
    I do feel sorry for all of you. Hope you all get home safely.
    Tomorrow will be another day. Hopefully w/o rain.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Kansas, Northern?? Well, maybe they'll shift you to the downtown building and the move to Kansas will ironically be shorter. 

We were running late this morning because my pugs are little princesses and afraid to get their paws wet. Finally, we're about to leave when DH comes downstairs and says, "Hang on, someone peed upstairs and I have to clean it." Pause. Lots of swearing. I go upstairs, he points to the ceiling, and says, "Nobody peed."

I look up, and orange globs of water are collecting on ceiling and slowly falling to the floor. The plaster looks bloated, the paint is peeling, and I picture the entire roof caving in over our heads. DH got a ladder and checked out the attic crawl space, which was absolutely soaked. Soggy wood. He poked a hole in the ceiling--it was like cutting through butter--to release some of the pressure and now we're looking for good roofers. Any suggestions?

Yesterday we went to home depot because we're planning on renovating our kitchen...farewell, new kitchen. Hello, new roof. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I don't think this rain is ever going to stop!!

My car, which I literally just put a bunch of money into LAST WEEK, has a puddles on the passenger side.  LOVELY!

Good luck Northern!  If it makes you feel any better, my position was also once relocated down south, but it all ended up working out.  Basically some people within my group quit and I got to stay up here - phew!!  2+ years later and I am still in the same dept.  I hope it works out well for you too!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Kansas City, MO so yes, downtown Boston would be alot shorter of a commute. I'm not worried about my job prospects, yet. While I can't think department I want to work in right now, we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm looking online at other companies as well. I've also sent an email out to some of my friends. I have 4 months and some savings. Worse comes to worse, i work some part time jobs for a while just to get some income. If anyone has any openings in HR, let me know. Can't hurt to start asking now :-).