OT - lawyer rec's?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

OT - lawyer rec's?

Hi Guys! So we definitely decided to put our wedding planning on hold for a little bit so we can try to buy a condo. We found a place that we both love and had our offer accepted. So now we need to find a good real estate attorney to help us out with the rest of the process. I know some of you have been through this recently or work in the field so I'm hoping you can throw some recommendations at me! Our buyers agent gave us a couple names but FI has some reservations about them.
    Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Re: OT - lawyer rec's?

Hi Cicirose!  Congrats!!!  I'm so happy you guys found a place!  We used one of the lawyers your agent probably recommended, so feel free to email me if you have any questions.  We were pretty happy with him, but we have no point of comparison.  Best of luck!

In Response to OT - lawyer rec's?:
    Hi Guys! So we definitely decided to put our wedding planning on hold for a little bit so we can try to buy a condo. We found a place that we both love and had our offer accepted. So now we need to find a good real estate attorney to help us out with the rest of the process. I know some of you have been through this recently or work in the field so I'm hoping you can throw some recommendations at me! Our buyers agent gave us a couple names but FI has some reservations about them. Thanks!
    Posted by cicirose

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Congrats!  I recommend my firm.  :)

Send me a message, and I'll tell you whatever you want to know.  For starters, we're honest, hard-working, willing to travel, and reasonably-priced.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thanks! I'm not sure why he may not want to use one of the lawyers she recommended... for some reason he won't tell me until we get home tonight.

Lucy - I couldn't send you a message, so I added you as a friend. I would love to get the name of your firm!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I left you a message.  I'd appreciate if you deleted it after you got the info, though.  :)

If you're on FB, you should friend me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

In Response to Re: OT - lawyer rec's?:
    I left you a message.  I'd appreciate if you deleted it after you got the info, though.  :) If you're on FB, you should friend me.
    Posted by lucy7368

Got your message and deleted it. Thanks for the info!!! I'll add you to FB when I get home :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

If you decided to come in, let me know.  We can get coffee or something (i.e., cannolis).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thanks Lucy! As soon as I told FI about other options, he decided it was best to use the person recommended by the realtor... yes, after saying that he wanted to look into other options. I don't get it but totally not something to argue about! I saved your firm's information *just in case*!

Oh and are there 2 people on FB with your name that live in Boston? I didn't know which one you were so I didn't add you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Oh and are there 2 people on FB with your name that live in Boston? I didn't know which one you were so I didn't add you.
    Posted by cicirose

Apparently, there are.  I had no idea.  :) 

If you send me your information, I'll add you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

FWIW, it's generally sound advice not to use anyone that is recommended  by anyone else in the food chain -- mortgage company, attorney, house inspector (ESPECIALLY THAT!!!)

It's much better to find these sources that are independent of each other. 

In general. 

Just sayin'

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

FWIW, it's generally sound advice not to use anyone that is recommended  by anyone else in the food chain -- mortgage company, attorney, house inspector (ESPECIALLY THAT!!!) It's much better to find these sources that are independent of each other.  In general.  Just sayin'
    Posted by cosmogirl

This is very good advice! Especially about the home inspector. But it's probably better to use the recommendations rather than not getting it at all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

We had no idea how to find people, so we used most of those recommended by our realtor.  We used the mortgage broker and lawyer.  We did find our own home inspector (recommended by a friend) and I thought he was great!  The mortgage broker made a good point:  he gets a LOT of referrals from this particular agent, so it is in his own best interest to treat them all well.  If he doesn't, she will take her business elsewhere.  I was very happy with his work.  We did talk to a few others, but he responded to us the fastest and we felt very comfortable with him.  I actually really trusted her referrals (our agent). 

But:  I think we were really lucky and found a really good agent.  :)

Good luck cicirose!  PS.  I'll try to find you on FB too!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

I went with the mortgage broker from my agent and that was fine.  However I did go seperately for our attorney and home inspector (they came with recommendations from family and friends).  For those two I want to know that the person is on my side with no potential for split loyalties for whatever reason.  I am not saying that someone an agent/broker would recomend would necessarily have split loyatlies but the question of the possibility was enough.

I actually used the same home inspector for both my homes and was very impressed with him both times.  It was very long process about 3 hours for our current home, but by the time we were done, I knew so much about the house and was confident about what we were buying. 

For your home inspector even with a condo make sure that he explains what he is looking at and why, and if he notes an issue have him explain why he does or does not think it is an issue.  With condos have him take a look at as much of the common areas as possible, because if there is a problem there you will want to see if the association is aware of it, and has the budget for it or if you could be looking at being hit with a special assessment shortly.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

When I bought my condo, my buyer's agent was also a lawyer. It was awesome because they were paid out of the commission on the sale and I didn't have to pay additional lawyer fees. They (business partners) were fantastic! I met one of them several years ago when I was a bank teller so I kind of knew where to go when I was looking. I used my regular bank for my mortgage (and got a great rate for a 10/1 arm) and the home inspectors were just the only people I knew of in the city. I didn't bother do the research on them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Hi Trex & Lucy... I think I added both of you on FB!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Hi Trex & Lucy... I think I added both of you on FB!
    Posted by cicirose

I hope that was you.  If not, I just added someone I don't know.  Surprised

Sections
Shortcuts