OT: New Year's resolutions?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

OT: New Year's resolutions?

I know it is early, but Lucy reminded me and I'm curious: what are you guys resolving to do (or not do!) in the New Year?  I have a few:

1)  I resolve to find a wedding dress without driving myself and everyone else around me crazy.

2)  I resolve to join a gym (or at least start working out!) to be somewhat in shape for my wedding!

3)  I resolve to kick our recent takeout habit and go back to cooking healthy food at least 5 nights a week.

4)  I resolve to try to work out some family issues. 

Anyone else?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Re: OT: New Year's resolutions?

I am a runner, and run around 5-10 miles every night at the gym and get so mad at the NY's resolutioners who join the gym, take up all the treadmills for like a month and then stop going! So I resolve to not be so mad at them!

Also, I am going to try to not gossip as much, and not to let the little things in life bother me so much :/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I resolve to learn to let unfounded, irrational guilt go.  It is a very destructive force in my life.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Kar, you also resolve to be skantastic, right?  ;)

I resolve to continue being perfect just the way I am.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

I am terrible about keeping my NYR's, but I think I will at least make an honest attempt. Mine are these:

1. Spend more time with my family

2. Put away my credit cards and not use them

3. Lose the last 30lbs. I have hanging onto me, (I lost 55 this year and have only gained back 4) So, I need to lose the rest.

4. Stop working so darned hard and missing out on important events.

Now, if I can do just one of these things in 2010, I will be a better person for it.  If I don't do any of them, it will be no different than any other year, LOL!!!

WISH ME LUCK!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Try and scratch bake atleast one new thing a month. So far I'd like to try and make bread, gnocchi, and perfect a cake (my first effort was too dry)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, lucy, thanks for the reminder.  I must go shopping at Fredricks!  They are totally SKANKTASTIC!

Dani, congrats on the 51 net pounds - you are doing great, no need to "resolve" to do well.  You already are, just keep the momentum of your new habits going.  Not using your credit cards might not be the best answer to your spending problem (I'm assuming there's a problem if that's your resolution).  I have a credit card that's paid me $1000 over the last 5 years just to use it by giving me 1% on all purchases other than Mobil gas and 3% back on that.  How about tweaking the resolution to only charge what you can pay off every month and keep a zero balance instead?  Find a card that pays you and pay it off every month.  That will actually increase your bottom line and keep your credit good and current. (I have never paid finanace charges so the $1000 they've given me is NET.  They must not like me very much.)

NL, what will help you keep that "scratch" resolution is having the right tools.  If you truly intend to keep making these things, invest up front so you ENJOY your first experiences instead of trying to make do without what you need for the task to be fun.  gnocci can be made without a board, for instance, but a nice, Italian-style gnocci board makes it that much more enjoyable.  Go to Williams Sonoma with a list of new things you want to make on a regular basis.  You don't need specific or expensive tools for everything (that just clutters up the kitchen), but there might be just a few really cool things that make the difference between keeping and breaking your resolution.

For instance, I have a bread maker I've used about twice a week for a year.  I have no intention of letting it drop off, either.  I love it.  If that counts as "from scratch" to you, I'll get you the model number. It's different from others (and consistently successful) because it pulls in the yeast from a dispenser on the top at the time it needs it so there's no chance of the yeast getting wet before the right time and ruining the bread.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Nice thread!

*Buy a house/condo before the tax credit is over
    *Go to Ireland
    *Stop judging people are work when they aren't perfect
    *Keep out of family drama
    *Get more involved in a charity
    *Get the certifications I have been putting off for 3 years

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

thanks Kar, but my "from scratch" version of making bread will just be putting it in a bread pan and hoping for the best :-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: OT: New Year's resolutions?:
    [QUOTE]thanks Kar, but my "from scratch" version of making bread will just be putting it in a bread pan and hoping for the best :-)
    Posted by NorthernLghts[/QUOTE]

It's the kneading that kills me; the counters are a couple of inches too high for me to do a good job and not hurt my shoulders.  Good luck!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]I am a runner, and run around 5-10 miles every night at the gym and get so mad at the NY's resolutioners who join the gym, take up all the treadmills for like a month and then stop going! So I resolve to not be so mad at them! Also, I am going to try to not gossip as much, and not to let the little things in life bother me so much :/
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]

This, exactly!!!  Well, minus the running 5-10 miles per night.  :)  I have no problem with the people that are actually motivated, but if you're coming in to socialize and take up space/machines, don't bother!

My main resolution is to stop letting work drama bother me.  I never get involved, but hearing adults gossip about one another like freshman in high school can really get on your nerves.  I'm determined to stop letting it affect my day and my attitude!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

I'm continuing in my quest to be an optimist and reject all the negative energy in the world.  I am a born pessimist.  Then I found out that optimists live longer.  And I learned that pessimists waste energy trying to change the past (they go over and over past bad incidents in their heads obessing about it could be different when it can't be).  NO more wasted energy!

I also resolve to call a few old friends I haven't seen in a couple of years and get together with them.

I'm going to rip off my ugly kitchen wallpaper.

I'm going to lose 50 lbs (Oh, is that on there again?)

I'm going to be the best possible role model for my daughters and am going to try to help my daughter figure out the college thing without getting too stressed out.  Or taking over the process.

I'm going to put together my own research study, after years of working on other people's.

I highly suggest my new year's resolution of a few years ago...lower your expectations.  Don't expect people to act as you do.  Then when they do something great, you are pleasantly surprised.  When they don't you are disappointed.  Saves a lot of emotional energy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

* I resolve not to let wedding planning make me completely crazy.

* I resolve to truly not sweat the small stuff.

* I resolve to join Weight Watchers *and* the gym and lose 60 pounds before our wedding.

* I resolve to be the best possible fiancee (and wife) that I can be.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ash, you are in luck even if you don't acheive your resolution.  I read about a new study that disproves the old thinking of optomists living longer and being happier.  Pessimists (or realists as I like to call us) are the happier bunch as they do not get disappointed as often as optimists.  They expect reality, for better or worse, and it usually happens, sometimes good outcomes, sometimes not, but our expectations are usually met based on patterns of the past.  Optimists, on the other hand ALWAYS expect the BEST possible outcome even when it is very unlikely to be the case, and are very often disappointed.  Being "happy" they stuff in this disappointment and don't process it very well.  So, you are right to not revisit things and obsess and stress over the past, letting it ruin the present.  But, at the same time don't try to change your stripes completely.  Embrace the positive of being a "born pessimist" - you are hardly ever disappointed.  :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I don't usually make NYRs, but I might try a few this year. 

*Worry less. You can't fix everything, and some things are just beyond your control. 

*Find a passion. It seems like everyone has something that they love doing, and it feels weird that I don't. Maybe a larger category for this is "understand myself better." 

*Live the lifestyle I want and don't apologize for it. See also, "care less about what people think." 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Kmt isn't it annoying?! I am proud of those people who really want to lose weight, but I am an avid runner and can't stand when I can't find a treadmill!

I resolve to be more understanding of people just starting out at the gym....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

[QUOTE]ash, you are in luck even if you don't acheive your resolution.  I read about a new study that disproves the old thinking of optomists living longer and being happier.  Pessimists (or realists as I like to call us) are the happier bunch as they do not get disappointed as often as optimists.  They expect reality, for better or worse, and it usually happens, sometimes good outcomes, sometimes not, but our expectations are usually met based on patterns of the past.  Optimists, on the other hand ALWAYS expect the BEST possible outcome even when it is very unlikely to be the case, and are very often disappointed.  Being "happy" they stuff in this disappointment and don't process it very well.  So, you are right to not revisit things and obsess and stress over the past, letting it ruin the present.  But, at the same time don't try to change your stripes completely.  Embrace the positive of being a "born pessimist" - you are hardly ever disappointed.  :)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I’ve read recent studies that say that optimists have longer life expectancies, especially in women.  The old studies were just done on men, but now they take into account gender, race, income, education, smoker/non smoker, physically active, etc.  It mostly has to do with stress - pessimists often worry too much, and stress and anxiety are themselves health risks for high blood presser, cardiovascular disease, etc.  They also say that attitude affects health habits - optimists tend to take better care of themselves.  I consider myself an optimist and I don’t think we are more disappointed when things don’t go as planned (that sounds more like a perfectionist).  We tend to be confident that the situation will work out regardless of our expectations and everything happens for a reason.    

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I guess the moral of the story is that both incur stress, but on different ends of the situation.  The pessimist worries more.  The optimist is disappointed more.  There are pros and cons to both - I wish we could all be realists, taking the best and leaving the worst of both pessimism and optimism.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

I have a tendency to break resolutions, so I have a tendency not to make them.

However, I hope to get a job this year.  I'd also hope to save more money

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Thanks for the encouragement, kar!

Maybe I'll do half pessimist, half optimist and see how it goes!  I mean the glass is half full and half empty!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]I mean the glass is half full and half empty!
    Posted by ash[/QUOTE]

The glass is twice as large as it needs to be.  Wink

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks for the encouragement, kar! Maybe I'll do half pessimist, half optimist and see how it goes!  I mean the glass is half full and half empty!
    Posted by ash[/QUOTE]

Exactly!  It is always both!  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Just wanted to follow up on my New Year's resolution quest, in case anyone is interested!  I think this is a good one for this board...

I also resolve to call a few old friends I haven't seen in a couple of years and get together with them.

...because the person I finally got in touch with again was one of bridesmaids who I have not seen or even really spoken with in 13 years.  We've been sending Christmas cards all this time and I've been asking her for her email address, figuring that would be an easy way to keep in touch.  She finally sent it to me this year and so we've corresponded by email a couple of times.  There is a chance she will be up here in February with her son (she lives in a different state about 6 hours away) and she is, I will get to see her.  Not sure how it will all play out, but she was such a huge part of my life when I was young and single in my twenties and when I was getting married and I've always been sad we have not been able to keep up our friendship. 

In any event, I'll keep up with the email and see what happens!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good luck as you work things out for a Feb reunion (hopefully!) and as you reconnect in general.  How nice!

~kar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

Hi! Just wanted to add my NYR. A few years ago I made one that I actually have kept to this day! (It was to floss daily)....
    Last year, I saved$2500 in our very first savings account. I'm super proud of that! So, we're going to Holland in March and Costa Rica in September, so my NYR this year is to save $3,000 this year so we can travel again next year. I set up the automatic drafts into our savings accounts for the day after I get paid, and DH just found a part time job after being laid off 6 months ago, so that should help.
    Oh, and I think I need to brush my dogs more regularly. I do it about once a week, but I know they will benefit from 2x/week, at least!