OT - pantihose with cocktail dress?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

OT - pantihose with cocktail dress?

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to a cocktail party tonight and wearing a green satin dress.  Here's a photo of one like it (not the exact dress) to give you an idea of the color: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3138290?origin=category&resultback=1140

My question is about pantihose.  I generally prefer to go without, but as I'll probably be taking the T/walking to the party and it's going to be cold and windy tonight, I don't feel that that's realistic.  Black opaque would be too casual, I think, but would black sheer look silly, or sexy?  I could also do nude, but would that look dated? 

I'd appreciate your ideas!  Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: OT - pantihose with cocktail dress?

I would go with nude, but I'm more of a traditional hose wearer. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

Essential question - what sort of shoes?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

In Response to Re: OT - pantihose with cocktail dress?:
    [QUOTE]Essential question - what sort of shoes?
    Posted by RedFishBlueFish[/QUOTE]

Black patent leather peep-toe slingbacks, about 3.5" heel.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Toeless nude hose.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

What ALF said.

If you had closed-toe black shoes, I would say go with the sheer black hose. I think sheer stockings are still sexy. (I'm also always cold, so I may be biased.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

I also have a pair of closed-toe black, so maybe I'll go the black sheer/closed- toe route.  The toeless nude is an excellent idea, but I don't have any at home and don't have time to run out and get them before the party.  Thanks for the suggestions!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I vote for nude fishnets if you have them. Always more fun and you don't risk looking like a figure skater.

Otherwise, I'd go with nude pantyhose. Just make sure they're sheer with no shimmer. It's the sheen or the too-dark color that makes pantyhose look dated. Donna Karan and Calvin Klein make great sheers, and you can get them at Macy's. they look like you're not wearing hose at all.

I don't think opaque tights are casual at all, but they can look off when you pair them with a shiny cocktail dress. Gray opaque tights might look nice with your dress. colorful and patterned tights are so in fashion right now, there are limitless options to choose from.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd wear nude, BUT, sheer hose do not offer much protection from the cold if any.  If you're more comfortable without them and prefer to go hoseless, you'll be no colder for going without.  Tights, on the other hand, are a bit warmer, but I happen to agree that they are more casual looking and can look odd with a shimmery dress.

ETA:  Oops, I posted too late, sorry, Mezzo!  What did you end up wearing?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

I ended up wearing black sheer hose.  I know they're not much warmer on the legs than going bare, but more than anything I couldn't fathom the thought of having bare feet in those temperatures.  It looked great and worked well.  Thanks again for everyone's input.