OT-Part Time Job?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

OT-Part Time Job?

Looking for some opinions ladies....

So i'm quickly realizing that spending $325 a month on gas is not only a little crazy but causing issues with my ability to save money (yes, i know it's august but I'm already looking towards the holidays). If anything were to break on my car, i'd be in trouble and don't like carrying CC debt over to the next month.

I see two options of resolving this issue...getting a part time job on the weekends or take the train to work making the hours i'm away from my house 6:30am-7:30 pm (now it's 7:30-6:30). The train offers the ability for me to get some of my lost sleep made up (can't sleep and drive a car unfortunetly) and I wouldn't be paying for a commuter rail ticket just parking and the subway so I'd be saving some money there. But that's a really long day. Or I could continue to drive and work part time on the weekends. but is it really worth it to give up my weekends for a couple hundred dollars a month? Has anyone done this? what's your experience working full time during the week and part time on the weekends?

and yes, i'm looking for a job closer to home but what I do, the job market is pretty small. DH suggested just getting a closer full time job, not in my field, that will make more money but I'm afraid this will hurt my chances when jobs I really want pop up and also, I don't see the point in taking a job making more money if I am going to be miserable.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Re: OT-Part Time Job?

Question:  Where do you live/work now?  Where would you be parking?

When I lived in Framingham, I was gone from 7:15 am to 7:30 pm.  I read a LOT, but I was usually starving when I got home and too tired to do anything.  But, depending on where your stops are, you could find youself standing on the train the whole way, both ways.  It's no fun.  But, if you were looking for a part-time job, it might be worth it to get something near work.  That way, when you go to get on the train, it will be long past rush hour, and it won't take as long to get home.

Just as a side note:  If you pay your credit card off every month, find a card that gives cash back and start charging all your gas.  At least you'll get a little back at the end.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I don't have too much experience with this, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.  I personally find weekends to be too important to give up.  On weeknights, I'm so tired anyway that I don't really do much (come home, make dinner, fall asleep on the couch), so losing an hour or 2 on a weeknight doesn't sound that bad.  But if you take a part time job, depending on the hours, you could lose a lot of your free time on the weekends.  I need my weekends to keep me sane, so I'd probably do the train.

What I woudl probalby do is try taking the train for a month and see what you think.  It is a long day, but taking the train is a lot more relaxing than driving.  You can sleep, read a book, knit.. you might enjoy the time.  My sister used to commute by train and she really enjoyed it.

Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

I live in Northborough and I commute to Quincy, so I'd be parking at the Westborough station and going to South Station and then hop on the Red Line.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Northern, knowing where you live...Route 9 has a PLETHORA of shops, restaurants, etc. I have gotten a part-time Holiday job almost every year for about 5 years and I actually LOVE IT!! I worked at Bath and Body Works the last three Holidays at nights and on Saturday days and not only is is xtra cash, BUT you get a discount! It is a good option! :) I am not going to do it this year because of the new job, but I have really enjoyed it in the past. It really does help pay for xmas gift, etc.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Yikes Northern!  How far do you live from work?  What kind of car do you drive?  I drive a little over 400 miles per week for my commute and I would estimate that I spend around $200 per month on gas, a little more if I have to drive somewhere far on the weekends.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

In Response to Re: OT-Part Time Job?:
    [QUOTE]Yikes Northern!  How far do you live from work?  What kind of car do you drive?  I drive a little over 400 miles per week for my commute and I would estimate that I spend around $200 per month on gas, a little more if I have to drive somewhere far on the weekends.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

It's 54 miles one way, so 108 a day and I drive a small SUV (hyundai tucson). I knew when we moved that my commute would be longer, i just didn't realize how much I'd really be paying for gas each month.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

[QUOTE] Just as a side note:  If you pay your credit card off every month, find a card that gives cash back and start charging all your gas.  At least you'll get a little back at the end.
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

Might look into getting a gas card. thanks lucy :-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]I live in Northborough and I commute to Quincy, so I'd be parking at the Westborough station and going to South Station and then hop on the Red Line.
    Posted by NorthernLghts[/QUOTE]

A monthly pass from Westborough is about $225 (I think that's what I paid from Framingham, but I could be wrong), so, depending on the price of parking, you might not actually be saving that much.

Also, be aware that, if you ever work late, you might have to wait awhile for the next train.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT-Part Time Job? : Might look into getting a gas card. thanks lucy :-)

I got $30 back last year, just based on the driving I did to/from work from April-August.  Of course, gas was stupidly expensive at that point.  But I get 30 mpg.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I'd take the train and keep my weekends to myself. I used to work one day on the weekend [it was my regular job, but I was an overachiever who went in on the weekends].  I finally realized I was being silly and stopped working weekends, but just stayed an extra hour or two at night.  You will really start missing having 2 full days to yourself, while you will not miss the hour or so extra commuting on a daily basis. As you said, it's a good time to either nap, or you could catch up on your reading. 

Also, that is alot of money on gas. I'd look into getting a car that is more fuel efficient than an SUV.  What does your DH drive? Maybe you could swap w/ him?  When I was still living in MA I was driving alot for my job [Worcester, Springfield, Cape Cod], and I spent nowhere near that amount of money on gas.  I drive a Corolla.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I was just thinking you probably hit more traffic than I do (since you have to go towards Boston), so you probably burn more gas.  It is depressing to spend so much on gas though, I feel you there!!  I used to be able to walk to work, then paid half the cost of a monthly T pass when I switched jobs (I think it was like $55), and now I spend hundreds on gas.

I am trying to think of part time jobs that wouldn't s uck...  If it were me, I'd prefer to keep the weekends free and get home later on the train.  But of course only you can decide what works best for you!  A retail job would be good if it were somewhere that you'd looove to get a discount.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Is your company paying for your commuter pass? b/c I think that also covers subway and bus. totally worth it if all you have to pay for is parking.

Just make sure your company will be flexible if there are train delays...b/c there will be.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT-Part Time Job? : A monthly pass from Westborough is about $225 (I think that's what I paid from Framingham, but I could be wrong), so, depending on the price of parking, you might not actually be saving that much. Also, be aware that, if you ever work late, you might have to wait awhile for the next train.
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

Thankfully I don't need to worry about the commuter rail pass so it's just be $80 for parking and then the Subway pass but I am concerned about having to wait around to a train and what if it's late, or I'm late, or they stop service after 7 like I have heard them talking about.

too much to think about Undecided

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I drive a Subaru Forrester and it is FABULOUS on gas! One of the reasons I bought it, even though everyone made fun of me! Don't care though!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

The commuter rail pass is also good for the subway.  So, that's $59 you don't have to worry about.

Also, check with your insurance company, because they may give you a discount for taking public transportation to work (mine does).

If you're late, you take the next train.  Try not to be late.  If the train is late (which it often is), you're late to work.  If your employer is NOT OK with that (most, I think, understand that the T is garbage), you might have to take the earlier train.  Look for trains that go express to/from Framingham.  Saves you about half an hour.

If they stop service after 7, it shouldn't be a big deal unless you work late often. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

[QUOTE]Is your company paying for your commuter pass? b/c I think that also covers subway and bus. totally worth it if all you have to pay for is parking. Just make sure your company will be flexible if there are train delays...b/c there will be.
    Posted by amschnittger[/QUOTE]

I have a family member that works for the Amtrack so a family pass covers the comuter rail system but not the subways.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Nice perk! I still think its worth it. I hate working weekends, my weekends are very sacred to me - I worked 2 jobs pretty much all through college and up until about 2 1/2 years ago. I dont know if I can ever do it again (although I may not have a choice soon).

Maybe just try it out for a month and see how it compares. You can always go back.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I say if you won't have to pay for the commuter pass, go for it. Far better to get home one hours later than to lose your weekends.
    I've tried holding down part-time jobs, but I never can hack it. I'm too tired, and by the time I get to the part-time job I'm checked-out mentally and end up making silly mistakes. Even when it was just Saturdays, I ended up having to cram everything else into weeknights and Sundays. It was brutal.

There are carpool websites now, where people who have similar commutes can take turns driving. My mom used one to find someone who drives from uxbridge to springfield. She actually found someone and now they take turns and save a lot on gas.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT-Part Time Job? : I have a family member that works for the Amtrack so a family pass covers the comuter rail system but not the subways.

See if your job will pay for the T pass, then.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]There are carpool websites now, where people who have similar commutes can take turns driving. My mom used one to find someone who drives from uxbridge to springfield. She actually found someone and now they take turns and save a lot on gas.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea.

It reminds me of the people in DC who will just stand by the side of the road, looking for someone to drive them in.  The drivers get to take the carpool lane, saving over an hour on the commute, and the riders get to avoid the tolls.  Everyone wins.  :)

People in SF do it to avoid the tolls on the Bay Bridge, too.  Awesome.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Thanks ladies. I think trying it for a month seems like a good idea. Can't hurt right? DH would just tell me to do what I thought was best so varying opinions like yours are helpful. much appreciated. Plus the thought of driving in the snow everyday once winter comes doesn't sound like much fun either.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I one time had looked in the commuter rail and subway/shuttle to work.  Although I hated the traffic, suffered road rage and spent a ton on gas I kept driving.  The commuter rail is restrictive to your schedule.  They run on a specific schedule and if you miss it you have to wait a while.  My fear was always at the end of the day I would have a late meeting and miss the last train.

As far as a part time job that is a personal decision.  If I HAD to for financial reason I would and that would be the only reason.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I find driving in the snow not that bad with AWD, which I assume your SUV has, Northern. Also the major highways are always usually clear.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Or i could always just tell work I need a raise. ha ha ha. I can see that going over well. :-p. and yes sept, my car has AWD but DH drives a mustang so he takes it sometimes in the winter. I think he forgot we live in NE when he bought the car lol.