OT- Proactive

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

OT- Proactive

I do like clean and clear too (and aveno) I did use the one Clean and Clear wash that has benzoyl peroxide in it when I was in college - my skin was the BEST ever - but many towels, sheets and clothes felt the damage. :-(

Uggg... I wish it didn't bleach stuff

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

OT- Proactive

I have used proactiv. I have also used many other products with benzoyl peroxide. You do not have to go out and buy all white sheets etc. It will only stain something if you get the product directly on it. And I have never had that problem. You rub the stuff into your skin, except for the refining mask (which has a horrible odor when you wash it off after it dries btw), so nothing will ever directly touch your sheets, clothes, etc

To apply the toner, I put it onto a washcloth (any color) and apply it to my face. Never had a dying problem

I also use otc benzoly peroxide (neutrogena on the spot, etc) and have never had it dye or bleach any fabrics...

You should be fine

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OT- Proactive

Yes, peroxide will bleach things. And, it will dry your skin which triggers your oil glands to overproduce. My niece has very bad skin and I saw a 1/2 used set of Proactive in her bathroom - I think her skin is the worst I've ever seen it right now. We didn't talk about it, but I thought it put that stuff in the worst possible light.

I have acne prone skin, and ironically, the best thing I did for it was to start using a light oil-free moisturizer. I've tried a few drug store brands (Neutrogena, Aveno, etc), and I find them all to behave similarly. If I do pair it with an acne wash, I like Clean and Clear products; they don't tend to dry my skin too much. Anything that is too powerful at drying backfires since your body knows the skin is too dry and does something (too much) about it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

OT- Proactive

Hi all,
    I have been thinking about using Proactive but know benzoyl peroxide (the active ingredient) is known to dye clothes, sheets, towels, etc. It is right in the warnings "Avoid product contact with hair and dyed fabrics, including carpets and clothing which may be bleached by this product"

I am thinking I will just buy it, buy all white sheets and towels, just to ensure my skin is beautiful for the wedding!

Anyone use this? Does it really bleach everything?

Or is there something out there that is similar that won't!

Thanks!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

OT- Proactive

I have been using Neutrogena On the Spot acne treatment and it works really well. I have problems with my chin (probbably b/c i sit at work bored all day) but lately its been clear as day. I do have to double up the moisturizer but they seem to be balancing themselves out well.

I use Pond's dry skin cream and Pond's cold cream - smells like old ladies but there's a reason its been around so long!

good luck

a-m

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

OT- Proactive

I've heard good things about egg yolk masks for tightening pores.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

OT- Proactive

I use the benzoyl peroxide spot treatment from Clean and Clear and I used to use the one from Clearasil as well. I have found it does bleach out my towels and pillowcases. So, now I just don't wear it overnight and I'm careful to just use a small white towel to dry my face off after I wash it. I went through quite a few towels and pillowcases before getting the routine down.

I would also strongly advise you to visit a dermatologist, if possible and covered by your insurance, before buying Proactive. We all have different chemistries and no one thing works for everyone, your dermatologist will know what will work best for you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

OT- Proactive

One of my college roommates used to do something like that as well, but I think she mixed other stuff in with the egg yolk. Can't vouch for its effectiveness, but I've heard of it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

OT- Proactive

Oh... I should mention that I don't put it on my face, so I can't vouch for whether not it bleaches pillow cases.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

OT- Proactive

That is annoying! I've heard good things about the dermatologists at MGH, if you live in or near Boston you should give them a call.

[Quote]Thanks all - I do use the spot OTC stuff, and my pillow cases have bleached. Maybe I don't let it dry!

Pink, thanks I will look into a good dermatologist as well - I had one in upstate NY and found that now they are all about the cosmetic things - UGG I hate it... I just want my face to be clear and my freckles to be ok - but they kept trying to make me buy things I didn't need! Ok that rant is done.

I will look into a good one here![/Quote]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

OT- Proactive

Proactive worked really well for me. I never had skin problems until I turned 30 and my chin errupted in zits. Proactive was the only thing that cleared it up and kept it clear.

I recently used Clean and Clear and it bleached the h*ll out of my brand new duvet cover and my hand towels. I didn't have that problem with Proactive but would still be careful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OT- Proactive

Hello ladies,
    I do feel your pain. No one in our family have bad skin except for our youngest son. But in high school, when he was still staying at home I had him put an egg yolk (just whip an egg yolk and smear it on) on his face every night. Then let it dry and then wash off with a very hot wash cloth. Within a week his blemishes cleared up, and as long as he used it - his skin was looking fantastic.
    But of course, he is not staying at home any longer and Mom is not there to crack an egg every night - so now he is back to where he once was. He has been using "On-the-Spot", but as you say it dries out the skin and does not help very much.
    I think for all of you ladies, the egg yolk mask is worth a try. Good luck!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

OT- Proactive

Thanks Mrs Sunshine - it was the Clean and Clear product that bleached my stuff a TON! (Including my PJs, my shirts, etc !)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

OT- Proactive

I've been using a prescription gel with benzoyl peroxide and antibiotics for a few months and the only thing I have noticed is a couple of face cloths getting discolored from wiping my hands on them after I apply and wash hands. I don't think you need to worry too much about the bleaching. I just make sure to let the gel dry before I put on a white shirt to go to bed.

I do recall, though, that I had a different prescription in college that did bleach some of my towels and shirts... maybe I wasn't as careful. It's really important to make sure it dries on your skin before you let anything touch it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OT- Proactive

Frame, just plain egg yolk - no mixing in anything. But you have to do it every day. The yolk has a drying effect, but the omegas or whatever is in the yolk, does not dry out your skin. Just the zits. I used to buy the smallest, cheapest eggs I could find - just for this purpose.
    And I used the whites for making meringue "kisses". Whip up a batch. Drop on parchment paper. Put in a 350 degree oven - turn off and leave overnight. Voilá - "kisses" in the morning.

[Quote]One of my college roommates used to do something like that as well, but I think she mixed other stuff in with the egg yolk. Can't vouch for its effectiveness, but I've heard of it![/Quote]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

OT- Proactive

My fiance has used proactive, and let me tell you, that stuff works! his skin was clear, fresh and great looking. he doesnt have really terrible skin, but he does get a lot of clogged pores and pimples where he shaves. so, this stuff really protects and clears his skin.

we have dark brown sheets and pillowcases, we never noticed any sort of staining.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OT- Proactive

[Quote]Hello ladies,
    I do feel your pain. No one in our family have bad skin except for our youngest son. But in high school, when he was still staying at home I had him put an egg yolk (just whip an egg yolk and smear it on) on his face every night. Then let it dry and then wash off with a very hot wash cloth. Within a week his blemishes cleared up, and as long as he used it - his skin was looking fantastic.
    But of course, he is not staying at home any longer and Mom is not there to crack an egg every night - so now he is back to where he once was. He has been using "On-the-Spot", but as you say it dries out the skin and does not help very much.
    I think for all of you ladies, the egg yolk mask is worth a try. Good luck![/Quote]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

OT- Proactive

Thanks all - I do use the spot OTC stuff, and my pillow cases have bleached. Maybe I don't let it dry!

Pink, thanks I will look into a good dermatologist as well - I had one in upstate NY and found that now they are all about the cosmetic things - UGG I hate it... I just want my face to be clear and my freckles to be ok - but they kept trying to make me buy things I didn't need! Ok that rant is done.

I will look into a good one here!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

OT- Proactive

I have been to the dermatologist and got many different products for acne. One I asked to not have benz. peroxide in it so it would not stain my towels etc. I have ruined many towels and sheets using acne products w. benz. I just went to have a facial to get ready for the wedding, and the lady could not believe how dry my skin was. I told her I use an acne wash and she told me to STOP and said that it is just drying my skin out, and then when i try to put lotion on it my glands are not letting the moisture in. Anyways to make a long story short, I am trying to go with out acne washes for a while and just use spot treatment for any zits that pop up. So far so good, my skin is actually looking better now then when I used acne washes.
    Every person is going to react differently to proactive and other acne treatments. I have heard great things about proactive and also not great things. I would also recommend talking to a dermatologist before you get proactive, you may also get something cheaper and with the same ingredients with your copay!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OT- Proactive

Hm, my response didn't seem to show up, pingo -

Good advice, as always. Yes, it works on acne because of the sulphur in egg yolks. Before benz, sulphur was the active ingredient in most acne medications.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gosox25. Show Gosox25's posts

Re: OT- Proactive

[QUOTE]Hi all, I have been thinking about using Proactive but know benzoyl peroxide (the active ingredient) is known to dye clothes, sheets, towels, etc. It is right in the warnings "Avoid product contact with hair and dyed fabrics, including carpets and clothing which may be bleached by this product" I am thinking I will just buy it, buy all white sheets and towels, just to ensure my skin is beautiful for the wedding! Anyone use this? Does it really bleach everything? Or is there something out there that is similar that won't! Thanks!
    Posted by katie1980[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gosox25. Show Gosox25's posts

I love Proactiv... I have used it for almost 10 years.  It has bleached some of my pillow covers, but not so much any more.  And also, it only happened a couple of times.  I would definatley start using it a couple months before your wedding to ensure that it will take it's course before your wedding.  Good luck!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

If anyone is looking for a dermatologist, Dr. Karen Kim at Skincare Physicians is fantastic.  I have used everything under the sun, including ProActive.  She is the first to prescribe a combination of medication that actually works! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

The proactive mask works really well. But, it does contain sulfur and therefore has a horrible smell...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Pingo - I love making meringue drops!  If you want to mix it up a bit, try adding 1-2 tbsp of instant coffee to the egg whites (just make sure it disolves).  Sometimes I throw in mini choc. chips too.  Not as healthy, but yummy!

Sections
Shortcuts