OT - Prudential Center?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

OT - Prudential Center?

Hello ladies,

So, as you all know, I am not from around here.  My sister is coming to visit, and while I've got most of the weekend planned, I'm trying to think of a place I could take her for some views of the city.  I know Top of the Hub is there, but I've heard it's extremely overpriced and not really worth it. 

I also know that Chicago has it's own version of Top of the Hub, and it was extremely overpriced.  I wouldn't say it wasn't worth it, but, I don't remember it having an admission fee or a minimum charge.  :)  Is the minimum $25 per person?  I feel like I heard that number somewhere.

What about the Skywalk?  Are the views worth $12, or should we just pay the difference and get drinks/dessert at Top of the Hub?  Or, is there somewhere else we can go for a similar experience?

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Re: OT - Prudential Center?

Skywalk is ok, but I'd say go to the Top of the Hub for a drink.  It really does have a spectacular view. 

Don't know about a minimum.  There wasn't one the last time I went there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from spinningwheel. Show spinningwheel's posts

Top of the Hub is great for a drink in the bar area.  You might pay $10 or $15, but at least you'll have the view (which is spectacular) AND a drink!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Drinks and the bar menu at Top of the Hub is not that overpriced.  Their pizza is pretty good, their drinks are comparably priced to any other place in Back Bay, you get a great view AND live jazz music.  What's not to love?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

As others said, grab a few drinks at the bar there and some bar food - drinks/cocktails were $11 each last time I was there (last year), so comparable to any other place.  Especially on a clear evening, around sunset, the view really is great.  To dine in the restaurant are has a $24 per person minimum (not sure if this is all the time, or just Friday/Saturday nights.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Totally recommend the bar at Top of the Hub.  I don't remember a minimum (maybe call and ask to be sure?).  FI and I splurged one year and went the the restaurant for dinner.  Food was *awesome*, service was good, views also good.  I loved it, but it did cost us like $120 for dinner.

I like the Skywalk, but at $12 pp that seems high.  I feel like we did it cheaper, but that was like 10 years ago.

Another fun way to see the city is just walking along the Charles on Memorial Drive.  Beautiful views at sunset and a nice walk.  Or, I also really like taking the sunset harbor cruises (leaves near the aquarium).  Again, beautiful views and they end by going over to the Constitution which fires its cannons at sunset.  Pretty fun!  There is also a nice harbor walk near the aquarium that is nice during the day.  And you can then walk to the North End for an awesome dinner!

Have fun!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hi
    I do believe there is a minimum, but I think it is $25 a person.  Go for drinks and I have a friend who swears by the warm cookies you can get off of the dessert menu.  The food in the restaurant is very good and the service was top notch. I got my proposal at the Top of the Hub, so it now holds a special place in my heart...hence my profile picture. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Thanks, ladies!

According to a review I found online, there's a $24 minimum per person after 8 pm.  So, we could possibly do drinks and appetizers before me.  I also like Trex's idea of just taking a walk along the Charles or the Harbor walk.  She's not from around here, so she may not be speaking to me if I suggest another long walk after the Freedom Trail, but it's good to have ideas.

WinterBride - it will certainly be interesting if my sister proposes!  Wink

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Lucy that would be interesting! Smile

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

How funny!  There was a proposal in the restaurant when FI and I went.  It was like a year before FI proposed so it was a bit of an awkward moment for us.  :)

Ha, I was just talking with someone about how I've never done the freedom trail.  I've definitely seen different parts of it, but never done the whole thing.  I am born and raised in the Boston area.  You never do the touristy things in your own city I guess. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I'd call the restaurant and ask about the minimum.  That may be for  the restaruant only.  There should not be a minimum in the bar section. You can't get the bar menu in the restaurant.  They do have bar seating and restaurant seating. The view is just as phenomenol from the bar or the restaurant.  Well, part of the bar looks south, so it's not as great, but it's still nice. 

DH proposed at Prudential as well. :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

A-ha!  According to their website, it's a $24 minimum for tables in the lounge - NOT sitting at the bar.  There's no minimum at the restaurant (because, if you're eating, you're going to spend more than $24).

(I did call to double-check, though.  I just like to be lazy and avoid talking to people whenever possible) 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: OT - Prudential Center?:
    Ha, I was just talking with someone about how I've never done the freedom trail.  I've definitely seen different parts of it, but never done the whole thing.  I am born and raised in the Boston area.  You never do the touristy things in your own city I guess. 
    Posted by trex509

Wanna come? ;)  This will be my third trek up Bunker Hill in the past year.  It's fantastic if you're trying to get in shape for the wedding.

I never did touristy things in my home town, but that's because there aren't any.  There is one museum - the history of the railroad, and we went every year in 1-5 grades, and once in high school.  (It does not change)  There's no real need to ever go back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I think the best tourist thing is the Duck Boat tour.  So fun!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I LOVED the Duck Tour.  I admit, when I first moved here, I was pretty skeptical.  But it was awesome!  And I learned things - I had no idea that the Citgo sign has been declared a historical monument.  :)

Also, they let me drive the duck on the water, which was awesome. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Haha, Lucy, I just saw your post!  I should have come!  Next time?  :)  I've never seen the Bunker Hill monument!

We had my sis and her 2 adorable kids visiting this weekend.  They wore us out though!  I fell dead asleep for 2 hours after they left... We visited the Stone Zoo in Stoneham with them which turned out to be the perfect kid friendly activity for Sunday. 

Sections
Shortcuts