OT- realtor gift

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

OT- realtor gift

Happy Friday ladies!  We have stopped the house search after more than a year, because we  found a house!! We are beyond excited!   The market is insane right now, so we feel lucky that we were not outbid!  
    I would like your advice on what to give a realtor for a gift who sold our condo and helped us to buy a house.  He is doing double the work, and while he is getting a TON of money from us, i still know we would like to give him an additional gift as a personal thanks.  Would a resturant gift certificate be appropiate?  Any ideas??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Re: OT- realtor gift

Given that he will be getting hefty commissions, I would suggest a nicely written card or thank you note that could be displayed in his office/used as a reference on his website etc should suffice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I surely agree with Prill.  The realtor should be giving you a present - ours gave us a bottle of Champagne after the closing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I agree that it is not necessary.  I've heard of people giving gifts, but I didn't feel it was necessary since we hired her and she made a nice commission.  And she also gave us a bottle of champagne.

But if you do really want to give a present, I think a restaurant gift card (or any other gift card) is a good idea.  Or maybe a nice bottle of wine?  Those are kind of my default presents.  If it was a female, maybe a spa gift card.

Also, the very BEST present you can give him is referrals.  I know he will appreciate that!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats!!

GIFT?  Your gift to your realator was your business and hefty commission.  I totally agree, a nice thank you card would be very much appreciated and PLENTY.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Our realtor gave *us* a bottle of champagne (we also got engaged two days before closing). That almost made me less annoyed that she fed us to her slimy, unethical lawyer and broker friends who tried to eat our faces and bleed us dry. 

Anyway. I'd send a card saying thanks and that you'll pass his name along to friends and family. References are the best gift you could give him. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from that-guy. Show that-guy's posts

Giving a gift to a 'professional' who you hired to do a job and who pays themselves handsomely from your transaction is beyond unnecessary, it's borderline absurd.

I agree with the notion that if you're satisfied with their work, then say thanks and give them referrals when possible. Anything other than that is out of line.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

In Response to Re: OT- realtor gift:
    Congrats!! GIFT?  Your gift to your realator was your business and hefty commission.  I totally agree, a nice thank you card would be very much appreciated and PLENTY.
    Posted by kargiver

Thanks!   Anyone want to come over and paint?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I agree totally w/ Prill. My realtor gave me a gift when I moved in.  I was pleasantly surprised.  A nice note is all you need to give him; the commission is enough. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamer-6-19. Show Dreamer-6-19's posts

Definitely not necessary to give him a gift since you are a dream client and he is getting double commission.  I agree with the comments above, a card and any referrals are more than enough. 

When I bought my house, my realtor gave us a gift basket with candles, champagne glasses, champagne and a gift certificate to a local restaurant. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Write a letter to his boss saying how helpful and professional he was.  That's always the very best gift.

While I agree with the others that it's not NECESSARY to give him a gift, there's nothing wrong with getting him something to show your appreciation.   Make sure you do it well after both closings, though. 

(in case something goes wrong and you have to sue... LOL)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

In Response to Re: OT- realtor gift : Thanks!   Anyone want to come over and paint?
    Posted by ajuly09

I love painting! I find it very soothing. 

How much you wanna pay me? Tongue out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: OT- realtor gift : Thanks!   Anyone want to come over and paint?
    Posted by ajuly09

I can't paint, but I can hand out beer and tell people what to do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

sounds like we have a group forming here. Beer and pizza will be provided, and Lucy will be the coordinator.  Whirled Peas if I don't have to paint, I'll pay you.  haha   
     We are actually toying with getting painters now... we have to paint every room, ceiling, trim, moulding..  anyone hired painters?   I think it will run around 2K which seems soo expensive when it would be free to do it ourselves. But it would take us double the time I am sure and then we have to wait to move in... 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

How many rooms?  I think 2K is a low number honestly, maybe for 3 rooms.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

How many rooms?  I think 2K is a low number honestly, maybe for 3 rooms.
    Posted by allreadymarried

living room, hall way, two small bedrooms.  If 2K is low...looks like we will be painting ourselves! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

YOu could hire for the ceilings and trim and paint the walls yourself.  Do it in the right order, though, trim last, of course.  Not sure if ceiling or walls are first, though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,  that is a great idea. The ceiling is difficult to paint and the trim takes time, for someone, who has not done this before. But the walls are fairly easy using a roller. I agree, that $2000 is a good (low) price for painting what the OP describes.
    Btw. Ceiling before the walls, you do not want splatters on your newly painted walls.

YOu could hire for the ceilings and trim and paint the walls yourself.  Do it in the right order, though, trim last, of course.  Not sure if ceiling or walls are first, though.
    Posted by kargiver

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

When we bought our home, we received a gift from our real estate agent - and we were so impressed with her thoughtfulness.  Until my sister was finishing up getting her real estate license and we mentioned the cheeseplate we rec'd from Realtor and she said "but of course, that's real estate agent 101 - they give a gift to everyone."  And that made me feel less special...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's really all about referrals, you know...sorry, CT-DC.  But, take heart, we know you're special. :)

pingo, wow, of course - no spatter on the walls from the ceiling.  You can see why DH does all the home improvements around here!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

My bff used to be a realtor (or maybe is a non-practicing realtor?) and she would give out gifts too, usually gift cards.  She could claim them as business expenses.  It's still a nice gesture though!  I am sure there have been times when such a realtor couldn't stand the client and didn't give a gift.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

The realtor in our town, well we have several - but the one we used when we sold our last home, advertise in the local paper with charcoal drawings of the homes, they put on the market.
    After the sale, we got the original as a gift.
    It was around Christmas time, and our then younger children received a Ginger Bread House, with a lovely handwritten note. Nice touch!

Sections
Shortcuts