OT-Shipping pets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

OT-Shipping pets

This would logically go on the pets board, but I like you guys better. No offense to the pets board people. 

DH and I are in the process of adopting pugs from my cousin who lives in FL (he works and travels a lot, and we've been talking about how this is a good opportunity for everyone involved). I don't really know how to get the pugs from FL to Boston, though. Has anyone shipped animals before? How do you do it safely? How much should it cost?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: OT-Shipping pets

I would call an area rescue group and ask them if they've had any experience with transporting pets by air.
    I know there's a pet airline, but I don't know anyone who has used it.
    flypets.com

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Most airlines will do it.  See delta's policy (look under Pets as Cargo since you won't be traveling with the pet).

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/pet_travel_information/pet_travel_options/index.jsp

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

How exciting that you will soon have puppies!  How many are you getting?

I had to make this decision several years ago when I got a Yorkie.  He was in Reno, and instead of shipping him my ex flew out and got him.  We had read too much about how airlines cannot guarantee the temperatures in the cargo holds of the plane.  It made me too nervous.  That said, I know not everyone can just up and fly across the country.  Maybe things have improved since then, or maybe we just didn't research our options well enough. 

I guess I don't have much helpful advice... but I"m happy for you!
    Good luck

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Hi WPP!  I know I already talked to you about this on FB, but I'll post about my experience here in case anyone else is curious.

DH and I just got our new puppy Saturday night (see avatar), and he was shipped (Delta) from Indiana.  He was put on the plane at 12:30, had a layover in Atlanta, and then arrived in Boston at 6:30.  The runners go out and pick the animals up off the plane as soon as it lands...I had the puppy in my arms at 6:45.

I really thought that after being in the crate and being on a plane he'd be scared and timid, but he came bolting out of that thing and just wanted to play!  Doesn't seem like he was phased by it at all. 

It cost us $200 to have him shipped.  I was very happy with the way Delta handled everything, and I know people that have also used Continental and rave about it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

KMT he is so cute!  I can't wait til we have our own place and can get a pup!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

In Response to Re: OT-Shipping pets:
    KMT he is so cute!  I can't wait til we have our own place and can get a pup!
    Posted by dkb6248

Thanks dkb!  He is AWESOME.  We're having a blast with him.  It's just so much fun to watch him learn new things every day.  He's got a great little personality...very playful, but also loves to chill out and cuddle with you.

What kind of pup do you guys want???

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

kmt- I am madly in love with your puppy. He is just too cute!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I have no clue.  DH doesn't like really small dogs, but I don't want anything too big in a condo.  We will hopefully have a new place by next spring and a dog is my first priority.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Thanks for the info, everyone! I was nervous about the cargo holds with cold temps and just the idea of animals as cargo...I have strong feelings about this. 

KMT, he is ADORABLE! DH and I are going pug like KMT. We're getting two three-year-old brothers. I CAN'T WAIT!! I'm hoping we'll have them within a couple weeks. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wish our "little" Gracie loved to cuddle.  She's a kisser and trampler.  And, at almost 55 pounds, now, that's rough on us!  DH has a huge scratch over and down his lip he's been nursing with bacitracin for 2 days from her lovin'.  :)  She's got so much energy, and we work her pretty hard.  Today, we went to Klem's for leash manners training; she did really well, but, as always, after 1.5 hours of working hard at being calm and sitting to be pet, she slept all the way home and finished napping in her crate.  Then, up and at 'em outside with a rowdy game of fetch and tug-o-war.

Pinkie, turns out, our trainer was SO WRONG about that tug-o-war/fetch thing.  Like Max, Gracie does both.  She always returns with the toy to play tug-o-war until I mangage to wrestle it away from her and throw it, again.  She always brings it back unless she's tired of playing or has to go to the bathroom. :)

WPP, I don't have anything to add about shipping pets, but just wanted to congratulate you!  I, truth be told (and the long version is in the "Crate Training a puppy" or something like that thread), I didn't enjoy her at all when she was little.  Everyone that said, "Oh, a puppy, how FUN!" made me want to cry and/or scream.  But, now that she's housebroken and doing fairly well on her leash and such, she IS fun.  A burden on my time as far as the house and stuff goes, but a joy.  It took 4 months of work, though, before I really started enjoying her. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

WPP - brothers - that's awesme!  We got 2 together & it's so great for them!
    We got them from Georgia & the rescue used a dog transport.  Don't know if it's for rescue dogs only, but something worth checking into if you're nervous.
    They drove straight through with 3-4 people on the bus to switch drivers.  And they stopped several times along the way to walk each dog. I ca't remember the name of the company, but a quick search will bring up some good info.
    Congrats!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

We rescued our dog, Bella, from Texas and had her shipped cargo with Continental.  We picked her up at Continental's cargo hanger at Logan.  We didn't have any problems with them.  She arrived on time and the overall process went very smoothly.

Because she was coming from a foster home we weren't able to specify what type of bedding was in her crate. They used wood chips which was a big mess and wouldn't be my recommendation.  I would suggest you have your pups shipped with comfy towels (that way it will absorb any tinkle). 

Also, it's a good idea to have them shipped with some water but that could make a mess. I read that another option is to have a bowl with a frozen water bottle in it.  You cut holes in the water bottle so when it slowly defrosts the pups can get some fluids without getting soaked.

Good luck getting your new puppies!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cvillebeach. Show cvillebeach's posts

Hi WPP,
       We rescued a dog from New Orleans and the organization used Rescue Road Trips (rescueroadtrips.com) to get him up to us.  I'm not sure if they pick up in Florida, but maybe they could recommend another transporter.  This seems to be a pretty good service, someone is always with the dogs and they stop for bathroom breaks every few hours.

Sections
Shortcuts