OT: Soup recipes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

OT: Soup recipes?

This cold weather has put me in the mood for soup!  Does anyone have any good soup recipes to share?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Re: OT: Soup recipes?

Soup is so wonderfully flexible.  I love it b/c it's one of those things that allows me to clean out my pantry and simultaneously feel really healthy.

I make riffs on this minestrone recipe frequently:
    Olive Oil
    1 Sweet Yellow Onion, diced
    1-4 Clove(s) Garlic, minced
    1 15 oz Can stewed or fire roasted tomatoes, blended
    1 large carrot, diced
    6 Cups of Hot Water or Vegetable Stock (or water+bouillion)
    1 Tbs Tomato Paste
    1 Bay Leaf
    1/4-1/2 tsp Celery Salt
    1 (15 oz) can white beans (canellini or great northern, for example)
    2/3 Cup Elbow Macaroni
    2 Cups chopped kale, packed (or other leafy green--spinach, chard, whatever)
    Salt to Taste (I use 1 1/2 tsp, but it depends on your broth)
    1/2 Cup Frozen peas
    2 Tbs Fresh Herbs or 2 tsps dried herbs (marjarom & rosemary; or oregano & basil; or whatever combo you are in the mood for)
    Lemon Zest (optional)
    Black Pepper
    drizzle of Balsamic Vinegar

Over medium heat, warm a couple tablespoons of olive oil.  Fry the onions in the hot oil for about 10 minutes, until nicely carmelized.  Add the garlic in the last minute of frying.

Add blended tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.  Add the carrot and broth and bring to a boil.  Add celery salt, bay leaf, tomato paste, and cook until carrot starts to soften. (If using dried herbs, add them now too.)  Then add the macoroni and kale and beans, and stir to make sure the noodles don't stick to the bottom.

Add salt to taste and cook until the noodles are finished.  Add frozen vegetables at the very end--they will defrost within a minute.  Add fresh herbs at the very end, if using them.  Drizzle with vinegar, and freshly ground black pepper.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

... p.s. you are inspiring me.  I was asking myself this morning what I can make for dinner that will somehow involve a bunch of chard, half a sugar pumpkin, and half an eggplant, all of which are lingering in my fridge.  I think soup may be the answer...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I normally hate broth in a soup but I can eat this one, it is easy to make and sooo good.  I usually don't eat during the week but divide it up and bring it to work for lunch.

SOUTH BEACH DIET MEXICAN CHICKEN SOUP

1 tablespoon canola oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 jalapeno pepper, diced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    5 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
    1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch strips*
    2 cups mild refrigerated fresh salsa
    Salt and ground black pepper

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeno; cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cumin; cook 30 seconds more.

Add broth, increase heat to high, and bring to a rapid simmer. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in salsa, bring back to simmer, season with salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 4 servings (2 1/4 cups each)

Nutrition information per serving: 320 cal., 8 g total fat (1.5 g saturated), 46 g pro., 14 g carbo., 2 g dietary fiber, 680 mg sodium.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

DH makes a delicious butternut squash soup. I'll have to ask him what the measurements are.

*ETA: he told me it's the Alton Brown recepie from the Food Network website.

Ingredients

• 6 cups (about 2 large squash) seeded 2-inch wide chunks butternut squash
    • Melted butter, for brushing
    • 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus 1 teaspoon
    • 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, plus 1/2 teaspoon
    • 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
    • 4 tablespoons honey
    • 1 teaspoon minced ginger
    • 4 ounces heavy cream
    • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Brush the flesh of the squash with a little butter and season with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper. On a sheet pan lay the squash flesh side up. Roast for about 30 to 35 minutes or until the flesh is nice and soft.

Scoop the flesh from the skin into a pot and add the stock, honey, and ginger. Bring to a simmer and puree using a stick blender. Stir in the heavy cream and return to a low simmer. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

YUM!  These sound SO good!  I'm so glad I asked!  Does anyone have a recipe for corn chowder?  It is my favorite, but I don't eat bacon and most recipes have that.  

Thanks guys!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Black Bean Chicken Soup 

-2 cans black beans, drained
    -frozen chicken breasts (skinless) (4 - 6 depending on the size of the crockpot and the size of the chicken breasts)
    frozen corn
    salsa
    chicken broth
    1 - 2 tsp cumin

Put the beans in the bottom of the pot.  place chicken on top.  Add corn, and salsa.  Add chicken broth to cover and cumin.  Cook on low 8 hours.  Shred chicken with two forks.  Serve with optional toppings - sour cream, cheese, avocado slices.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

jasmine's recipe can be made into a beautful pureed, low carb version by leaving out the pasta and using an emusion blender or blending in batches in a regular blender.

I got a Hamilton Beech (sp?) emulsion blender at a yard sale for $1.00.  YAY!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Good idea kar!  I like blended soups too! :)

I've been working on a pumpkin soup recipe this year, and here is my favorite  so far.

Before you start, you have to take a baking pumpkin (sugar pumpkins work well), and cut it in half, remove the seeds, and bake it at 400 degrees for 45-60 minutes until tender.  Then peel it, and blend it up in your food processor so it is a smooth puree.  If it is a large-ish pumpkin, use 1/2 for this soup, and 1/2 in something else.  If this is too much fuss for you, use 2 cans of pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix!!).  But that will probably cost you at least twice as much. [See finance thread...]  I do the baking step the night before, and then dinner is ready within 30-40 minutes the next night.

Pumpkin Barley Soup
    Olive oil
    1 onion diced
    1 carrot diced
    2 celery ribs diced
    3 cloves garlic minced
    1/3 cup white wine
    1/2 sugar pumpkin, baked, peeled, blended
    4 cups vegetable broth
    1 chopped kohlrabi, potato, or turnip (optional)
    3/4 cup pearl barley
    1/2 tsp dried sage
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
    1 (15 oz) can white beans (great Northern are good, or canellini), drained & rinsed
    2 tbsp fresh chopped basil (optional)
    parmesan cheese (optional)
    black pepper

Heat a bit of olive oil (~1 tbsp) in the bottom of a large pot on medium heat.  Fry onions for 5 minutes, then add celery, carrot, garlic.  Fry another 5 minutes until softened. Deglaze pan with wine (or vegetable broth or sherry). Add all ingredients pumpkin through brown sugar.  Simmer for 20-25 minutes, until barley is tender and vegetables are cooked through. Add white beans and let simmer 1 more minute.  Stir in basil, grind black pepper.  Adjust salt & sugar to taste.  Serve with grated parmesan on top.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Found this recipe on www.eatingwell.com and I tried it Monday.  It was *awesome*!!  The only thing I added was salt to my taste.  Yummy!

Fresh Corn Chowder

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
    • 2 slices turkey bacon, diced
    • 1 medium onion, diced
    • 1 red bell pepper, diced
    • 1 stalk celery, diced
    • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    • 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
    • 3 medium ears corn, kernels cut from cob (see Tip)
    • 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
    • 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
    • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preparation

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon, onion, bell pepper and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened and beginning to brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add broth and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
    2. Add corn kernels, potatoes, milk and salt to the pan. Return to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Season with pepper. Serve garnished with parsley.

PS.  I love Eating Well magazine for healthy, yummy recipes.  I highly recommend it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

...and, if corn is not in season, you can substitute frozen or canned corn (not creamed!).  I personally like the nibblets; I think it's baby corn.  Super sweet and tender.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

In Response to Re: OT: Soup recipes?:
    [QUOTE]...and, if corn is not in season, you can substitute frozen or canned corn (not creamed!).  I personally like the nibblets; I think it's baby corn.  Super sweet and tender.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Yes, absolutely!  I think the 3 ears of corn was probably like 2 cups of kernals.  But we added more since I like it corny.  :)  I found fresh corn at Market Basket and it was SO sweet!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Thanks for the corn chowder recipe T! Corn chowder was one of the things my boyfriend mentioned that he liked when we first started dating. I used a Martha Stewart recipe, but it didn't call for flour or anything, so it was kind of like eating corn and potatoes in warm milk. I'll report back!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

thanks for the corn chowder recepie, I've been looking for one! Although I'll probably add bacon salt to taste as opposed to bacon. I want to try making this for Thanksgiving, and my MIL hates bacon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, that black bean soup will be on our table tonight. Don' t even have to go shopping, as I have everything in the house. Sounds delicious!

[QUOTE]Black Bean Chicken Soup   -2 cans black beans, drained -frozen chicken breasts (skinless) (4 - 6 depending on the size of the crockpot and the size of the chicken breasts) frozen corn salsa chicken broth 1 - 2 tsp cumin Put the beans in the bottom of the pot.  place chicken on top.  Add corn, and salsa.  Add chicken broth to cover.  Cook on low 8 hours.  Shred chicken with two forks.  Serve with optional toppings - sour cream, cheese, avocado slices.
    Posted by Ihavemyhats[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]thanks for the corn chowder recepie, I've been looking for one! Although I'll probably add bacon salt to taste as opposed to bacon. I want to try making this for Thanksgiving, and my MIL hates bacon.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

Hates bacon?  How can anyone who eats meat in general hate bacon?!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

her parents were old school S. Boston Irish and saved their bacon fat to cook with. Everything she ever had cooked at home as a child was cooked in bacon fat.
    She can barely stand the smell. Doesn't even like smoked ham because of it. Made it very hard to figure out what to cook for xmas last year because they didn't want turkey because she only like turkey at Thanksgiving and won't eat ham. We ended up having to get this huge pork shoulder that took forever to cook.

They were in town this weekend and I thought she was going to drive me nuts. She wanted seafood, but we were in south central mass where there are NO seafood restaurants unless you drive to Framingham or Worcester. I tried telling her, but she didn't want to hear it. She went online and searched for restaurants and read 50 restaurant names out loud before she was convinced that nowhere in south central MA will you find fried clams in October!

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT: Soup recipes? : Hates bacon?  How can anyone who eats meat in general hate bacon?!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]DH makes a delicious butternut squash soup. I'll have to ask him what the measurements are. *ETA: he told me it's the Alton Brown recepie from the Food Network website. Ingredients 6 cups (about 2 large squash) seeded 2-inch wide chunks butternut squash Melted butter, for brushing 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, plus 1/2 teaspoon 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock 4 tablespoons honey 1 teaspoon minced ginger 4 ounces heavy cream 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg Directions Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Brush the flesh of the squash with a little butter and season with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper. On a sheet pan lay the squash flesh side up. Roast for about 30 to 35 minutes or until the flesh is nice and soft. Scoop the flesh from the skin into a pot and add the stock, honey, and ginger. Bring to a simmer and puree using a stick blender. Stir in the heavy cream and return to a low simmer. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.

Pink, this is such a great sounding recipe!  I LOVE butternut squash soup.  I'm going to make this sometime this week!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pink, that's so funny!  I hate when people won't just take my word for something that I absolutely know for a fact.

And, I'll also be making that squash soup.  We have a wheelbarrow full of it from the garden, and I generally just take the cleaver to it and boil it for whipped squash with butter, salt, and a little maple syrup.  Love the Viking mixer.  I splurged on myself, but I do use it all the time so it's not just expensive kitchen decor. :)

Hi, Goodness!  Where's your wedding review?  Post soon!  My personal email is kargiverbdc @ gmail . com.

~kar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]Pink, that's so funny!  I hate when people won't just take my word for something that I absolutely know for a fact. And, I'll also be making that squash soup.  We have a wheelbarrow full of it from the garden, and I generally just take the cleaver to it and boil it for whipped squash with butter, salt, and a little maple syrup.  Love the Viking mixer.  I splurged on myself, but I do use it all the time so it's not just expensive kitchen decor. :) Hi, Goodness!  Where's your wedding review?  Post soon!  My personal email is kargiverbdc @ gmail . com. ~kar

I'm working on it as we speak!  I was lucky and worked with some really amazing people. 

Kar, are you available on this e-mail now?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT: Soup recipes? : I'm working on it as we speak!  I was lucky and worked with some really amazing people.  Kar, are you available on this e-mail now?
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

Yup!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

it's really rich because of the cream, but since there's so much fiber in it I still file it inot the "healthy" category! :)

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT: Soup recipes? : Pink, this is such a great sounding recipe!  I LOVE butternut squash soup.  I'm going to make this sometime this week!
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]it's really rich because of the cream, but since there's so much fiber in it I still file it inot the "healthy" category! :) In Response to Re: OT: Soup recipes? :

Oh, it is rich, but OH so good!  Ha, ha.  I have a recipe for squash soup (a bit different than yours) and it calls for cream, too.  I use the fat-free half and half (might sound gross), but it gives it that extra bit of creamy texture, and it tastes just as good. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, I made your "Black Bean Soup" yesterday, except the frozen chicken breasts I thought I had turned out to be country style spareribs. I made it anyway with the ribs. It turned out just awesome. I am sure the pork gave it a different flavor, but it was oh so good. If you eat pork, try it.

[QUOTE]Black Bean Chicken Soup   -2 cans black beans, drained -frozen chicken breasts (skinless) (4 - 6 depending on the size of the crockpot and the size of the chicken breasts) frozen corn salsa chicken broth 1 - 2 tsp cumin Put the beans in the bottom of the pot.  place chicken on top.  Add corn, and salsa.  Add chicken broth to cover and cumin.  Cook on low 8 hours.  Shred chicken with two forks.  Serve with optional toppings - sour cream, cheese, avocado slices.
    Posted by Ihavemyhats[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Autumn Harvest Soup

Pingo, you are so adventuresome! I'd never have done that, though it makes sense now that I think of it - we had the most delicious pork I'd ever tasted in Mexico!

I seldom cook pork because I find it tasteless - much of the fat has been bred out of it, so pork loins and chops are tough.  Not like the delicious chops and roasts my mother and grandfather used to cook.  I still enjoy a half or quarter ham, of course, and bacon. 

Here is another great soup recipe for the crockpot.

Ratatouille Soup

4 cups chicken broth
    1 cup (or more!) of jarred spaghetti sauce
    1 medium yellow onion, diced (I only had a red one, so I used that and it was fine.)
    2 small yellow summer squash, sliced 1/4 inch thick
    2 small zucchini, also sliced
    one or two sweet red peppers, sliced lengthwise
    some cherry tomatoes, halved or a regular tomato or two, chopped
    1/3 cup dry cannelini beans (I used canned, and cooked for less time than prescribed)
    1 tsp Italian Seasoning
    salt and pepper to taste. (add salt at end if using dry beans)
    1/2 c small pasta (add at end)

Put all but the pasta into the crockpot (Mine is 6 quarts, you might want to reduce some quantities if you have a 4 quart.)  Cook 8 hours on low (less if using canned beans.) Add pasta 1/2 hour before serving.  Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired.