OT-Tennitus?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Re: OT-Tennitus?

My husband had this a fwe weeks ago, it was making him wicked dizzy and he couldn't even stand up straight. They told him he basically had a cold/infection inside his ear canal. Sadly, he has significant hearing loss from this in his left ear that he likely won't get back. :-(

They put him on steroid therapy to try and help but it just made him ill, and no hearing.

hopefully it is nothing that will take away his hearing - that is no fun!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Heather and Alf and whomever else (I can't keep track) who has tinnititus:  Have you tried acupuncture?  My father completely destroyed one of his eardrums by using a VERY loud drill without ear protection (let that be a lesson to us all - ALWAYS stop and put the stupid ear protection on..... always!)

anyhoo, he did get some help from acupuncture, which he tried about 6 or more years after the ringing began - he wishes he'd started it sooner because perhaps it would have been solved through acupuncture. he does wear a hearing aid which helps him hear "over" the whooshing and crackling (it's not ringing for him).  But when he was doing the acupuncture 2 times a week, after about 4 weeks he noticed it made a significant difference. Only problem: he had to keep going, at least once a week and his life is too busy given he travels, etc - so a standing appt on a Monday afternoon couldn't work.

So perhaps you try it (after Heather deals with her sinuses, this isn't instead of medical treatment, it's along with).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

my dad's got a fear of needles, no accupuncture for him!

In Response to Re: OT-Tennitus?:
    [QUOTE]Heather and Alf and whomever else (I can't keep track) who has tinnititus:  Have you tried acupuncture?  My father completely destroyed one of his eardrums by using a VERY loud drill without ear protection (let that be a lesson to us all - ALWAYS stop and put the stupid ear protection on..... always!) anyhoo, he did get some help from acupuncture, which he tried about 6 or more years after the ringing began - he wishes he'd started it sooner because perhaps it would have been solved through acupuncture. he does wear a hearing aid which helps him hear "over" the whooshing and crackling (it's not ringing for him).  But when he was doing the acupuncture 2 times a week, after about 4 weeks he noticed it made a significant difference. Only problem: he had to keep going, at least once a week and his life is too busy given he travels, etc - so a standing appt on a Monday afternoon couldn't work. So perhaps you try it (after Heather deals with her sinuses, this isn't instead of medical treatment, it's along with).
    Posted by CT.DC[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

What did they say in urgent care?  If he had an ear infection, they would see it.

I'm just curious, why are you skeptical and if he does/doesn't have it does it make a difference?  Tinnitus is just ringing in the ears and is a symptom of something not a diagnosis in and of itself.  He could have an inner ear problem (fluid imbalance, inflammation) which would cause dizziness, nausea and balance problems.  And they cause pretty bad dizziness He could have an ear infection (which does not always cause pain, but sometimes a bubbling sound in the ear)--though again, this is easily visualized by looking in the ear.  He could have a viral illness or the beginning of the flu, all of which cause headaches, dizziness and nausea.  He could have high blood pressure or another circulatory problem (though this probably would have been evident at urgent care also).

I would not be so quick to judge that his continued symptoms are from lying down on the couch.  Some of these inner ear problems cause really bad dizziness--can't stand up straight because the room is spinning sort of thing.

If the urgent care could not diagnose anything and he still has these symptoms, ENT is the place to go, so I'd say he's handling things correctly.

Let us know how it turns out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

I've done acupuncture in the past for my sinuses, and it didn't help, but it may have just been the practitioner... I did it in college for other stuff and it was amazing.  I haven't gotten aroudn to finding another person, but it has been in the back of my mind for a while.  I never thought of trying it for the tinnitus! 

Anyone know of any good acupuncturists?  I know it's a personal thing, however I hate just looking on a website and picking a name!

[QUOTE]Heather and Alf and whomever else (I can't keep track) who has tinnititus:  Have you tried acupuncture?  My father completely destroyed one of his eardrums by using a VERY loud drill without ear protection (let that be a lesson to us all - ALWAYS stop and put the stupid ear protection on..... always!) anyhoo, he did get some help from acupuncture, which he tried about 6 or more years after the ringing began - he wishes he'd started it sooner because perhaps it would have been solved through acupuncture. he does wear a hearing aid which helps him hear "over" the whooshing and crackling (it's not ringing for him).  But when he was doing the acupuncture 2 times a week, after about 4 weeks he noticed it made a significant difference. Only problem: he had to keep going, at least once a week and his life is too busy given he travels, etc - so a standing appt on a Monday afternoon couldn't work. So perhaps you try it (after Heather deals with her sinuses, this isn't instead of medical treatment, it's along with).
    Posted by CT.DC[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Northern,  I want to THANK YOU for posting this the day before my regular allergy dr visit.  I mentioned casually that my tinititus had been acting up and they ran a hearing test.  Turns our I DO have hearing loss, in both ears. I have an MRI scheduled for the weekend to see how bad it is.  It doesn't sound like it's going to be a huge problem b/c it's not a significant loss, but it's one that registers on a test, so we'll see what the MRI says.  Other than that, all I am supposed to do is avoid loud noises.  Good thing I'm not a band groupie.  :-)  Thanks again!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

good luck at your MRI! :)
    And I also hope there's no construction going on either where you live or work. There always seems to be construction wherever I go :(

[QUOTE]Northern,  I want to THANK YOU for posting this the day before my regular allergy dr visit.  I mentioned casually that my tinititus had been acting up and they ran a hearing test.  Turns our I DO have hearing loss, in both ears. I have an MRI scheduled for the weekend to see how bad it is.  It doesn't sound like it's going to be a huge problem b/c it's not a significant loss, but it's one that registers on a test, so we'll see what the MRI says.  Other than that, all I am supposed to do is avoid loud noises.  Good thing I'm not a band groupie.  :-)  Thanks again!
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Thanks!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Alf,
    In another thread I posted about hearing loss. I was told I had hearing loss in both ears and got hearing aids a couple of years ago. But as time went on I totally lost my hearing in my left ear. Aid or no aid. Couldn't use the phone.
    It turned out, it was severely compacted wax. That got cleaned out (couldn' t believe, what they dug out of there) - and I can hear loud and clear again. Don't even need my aids on an everyday basis.
    Make sure your doc check for wax. Good luck!

[QUOTE]Northern,  I want to THANK YOU for posting this the day before my regular allergy dr visit.  I mentioned casually that my tinnitus had been acting up and they ran a hearing test.  Turns our I DO have hearing loss, in both ears. I have an MRI scheduled for the weekend to see how bad it is.  It doesn't sound like it's going to be a huge problem b/c it's not a significant loss, but it's one that registers on a test, so we'll see what the MRI says.  Other than that, all I am supposed to do is avoid loud noises.  Good thing I'm not a band groupie.  :-)  Thanks again!
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

That's an excellent point. Because of his tinnitus my dad gets his ears cleaned at the doctor's office once a year to get rid of all the backed up wax.

[QUOTE]Alf, In another thread I posted about hearing loss. I was told I had hearing loss in both ears and got hearing aids a couple of years ago. But as time went on I totally lost my hearing in my left ear. Aid or no aid. Couldn't use the phone. It turned out, it was severely compacted wax. That got cleaned out (couldn' t believe, what they dug out of there) - and I can hear loud and clear again. Don't even need my aids on an everyday basis. Make sure your doc check for wax. Good luck! In Response to Re: OT-Tennitus? :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

No wax for me.  It has something to do w/ nerves, they think.  Hopefully the MRI will figure it out. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

hey ash, that's why i was skeptical, tinnitus is generally a symptom of something not just a diagnosis itself. i don't want him worrying himself and blaming himself for causing it. also from what i have been reading chills, exhaustion and nausea aren't part of tinnitus. he didn't say he was dizzy (urgent care asked thinking it could be minares disease). No high blood pressure either. All urgent care did was look in his ears, heard he said his ears were ringing and gave him a z-pack. He's been feeling a little better the last two days and the ear ringing is going away but he's still going to see the ENT doctor tomorrow because we both want to know what the cause was or is.

and Alf, you're welcome. I hope things go well with your MRI.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

[QUOTE]hey ash, that's why i was skeptical, tinnitus is generally a symptom of something not just a diagnosis itself. i don't want him worrying himself and blaming himself for causing it. also from what i have been reading chills, exhaustion and nausea aren't part of tinnitus. he didn't say he was dizzy (urgent care asked thinking it could be minares disease). No high blood pressure either. All urgent care did was look in his ears, heard he said his ears were ringing and gave him a z-pack. He's been feeling a little better the last two days and the ear ringing is going away but he's still going to see the ENT doctor tomorrow because we both want to know what the cause was or is. and Alf, you're welcome. I hope things go well with your MRI.
    Posted by NorthernLghts[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the update.  Let us know what ENT says if you don't mind! 

He shouldn't worry about causing it...you can't cause your own tinnitus unless you listen to really loud music, alot!

I would imagine that U/C saw fluid in his ears--whether infected (indicated an ear infection) or not0--this is probably why they gave him a z-pack.  If he does have an ear infection, or even just uninfected fluid in his ears, what he may be hearing is not ringing but a whooshing or bubbling sound.  The whole picture is pretty viral sounding (nausea, fatigue, fever and chills).

Just speculating though!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

hey guys, so the ENT doctor just said that he had some mild hearing damage and to avoid loud noises and wear ear plugs. After that last concert he went to he went out and bought good, quality ear plugs (he'd been using those cheap foam ones) so he's got the covered. It's nothing permanent, thankfully, and it should clear up in a couple months. He mention his other symptoms but the doctor he went to see didn't say anything about it. So maybe the viral symptoms had nothing to do with his ears. Thanks for all the concerns and ideas ladies :-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks for the update Northern. Good to hear it is nothing permanent. And you are right, it was probably two different problems hitting the same time. Hopefully he will be all over it soon.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

[QUOTE]hey guys, so the ENT doctor just said that he had some mild hearing damage and to avoid loud noises and wear ear plugs. After that last concert he went to he went out and bought good, quality ear plugs (he'd been using those cheap foam ones) so he's got the covered. It's nothing permanent, thankfully, and it should clear up in a couple months. He mention his other symptoms but the doctor he went to see didn't say anything about it. So maybe the viral symptoms had nothing to do with his ears. Thanks for all the concerns and ideas ladies :-)
    Posted by NorthernLghts[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear he is ok!  I was actually thinking the opposite--that he had fluid in his ears from the viral illness or an ear infection that made him hear a whooshing or ringing sound and the hearing loss was an incidental finding.

Either way, glad its all ok!