OT- Undereye cream and concealer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

OT- Undereye cream and concealer

Can anyone recommend a good undereye cream and concealer for dark circles?  I was horrified when I put my contacts in today [usually wear glasses but I have an interview] and saw how bad my dark circles are. There's not alot of puffiness, but enough that it's looking kind of baggy.  Ewwww.

Does anyone have any suggestions for eye cream or concealer? I have very pale skin so dark circles are really noticeable. My skin is combination/dry/sensitive. No mineral based makeup either, please!  It makes me break out and itch, and it settles in the fine lines and makes me look about 10 years older than I am.  

Thanks ladies!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: OT- Undereye cream and concealer

Hi, ALF!

You're missing the snow!!

I like my overall face cream - it tightens and brightens my whole face.  Deep Sea Cosmetics Cream

Not sure if it's hypoallergenic, though...I use Bare Escentials with no problem so you can't go by me even though I have rosacea and do have to be careful.

Pinkkittie is who you really want to weigh in - she knows all about everything like this.  But, you might get slow response today if people are home from work.  The roads are a MESS.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'm here Kar. It's not that bad here in Boston, and I don't drive, so I have no excuse to stay home ;)

ALF- Lotus Eye Gel from Fresh is awesome. It will definately help with the puffiness, and it doesn't irritate sensitive skin.
    Dark circles are caused by the delicate blood vessels in the eye area breaking. This can be caused by stress or simply rubbing your eyes. The blood clots and pools in the eye socket (pleasant thought, non?) leaving the purply looking shadow we all know so well. If yoyou have a history of dark circles and this isn't a new thing from stress or rubbing, I recommend Kinearase Under Eye Rescue, Peter Thomas Roth Power K Eye Rescue (this one is really the best for getting rid of dark circles, it's expensive, but it really works. was always sold out of the Pru store) MD Skincare Lift & Lighten Eye Crea, is the nest best one if you don't want to spend the money on the Power K.
    These eye creams take about 3-4 weeks to get rid of the dark circles. the reason it takes so long is that the pooled clotted blod takes 3-4 weeks to be flushed fromt he area. Vitamin K and C strengthen the cell walls of the blood vessels in the eye area so that they will be less likely to break and bleed in the future.

Never buy any eye creams with Hydroquinone of Hyloxyl in them. Those ingredients lighten the actual skin around your eye. That would work if your skin was discolored from aging, but if you're looking to get rid of the purple shadows, it won't do a thing for them. Those ingredients are also not good for your liver, and they actually have a warning on them that you shouldn't use them if you're pregnant, TTC or breast feeding. Bad bad bad ingredients.

concealer- do you like a liquid, cream or powder?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

forgot to mention, all the above eye creams will also do away with the puffiness and any fine lines.

for a quick fix, or if the dark circles are a new thing and you don't want to rush out and buy a new cream for it- take two tea bags. the tea MUST be caffienated. dip them in cold cold water. lay down and place them on your eyes. let sit for 10-15 minutes. The caffiene will boost circulation in your eye area. this will de-puff and diminish the dark circles.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'm bored because half my office isn't here due to the weather. I'll give a run-down of all concealers.

For liquid, I like Pixi, which used to be sold at Sephora but is now at Target. It's a little twist-up brush, which I like because you don't have to use a separate brush. It has light-reflecting particles and is very ligthweight.

For cream I like L'Oreal infallible concealer stick. It's blendable and has a nice powder finish. I recommend warming it on the back of your hand with your finger or a brush before applying.

For powder, nothing beats Bare Escentuals. No matter what you have to cover up, their stuff does the trick.

to camoflage dark circles, apply concealer under the eye and blend upwards. do not put any concealer on your lower lid, this can emphasize dark circles. once blended, take a light pink highlight powder, eyeshadow or liquid highlightr and dab lightly in the groove of the inner eye. This will bounce light off of your skin and fill in the shadows.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Thanks, Pink and Kar!  Sorry you are getting walloped w/ weather.  We had rain last night and now the sun is out. :-)  Hee hee.  Although it did 'snow' on Saturday.  It was coming down at a pretty good clip, but hardly sticking.  They go nuts for a dusting down here. It was pretty funny to watch people walking like they were 90 yo on a sidewalk that was just wet. 

I guess just drinking the tea won't work, huh?  lol.  I drink enough tea per day to float a boat. 

I prefer liquid or cream concealer.  I don't really wear foundation, so I need something light that blends well.  I use a tinted lotion [actually, I mix my Olay lotion w/ Neutrogena Sheer Tint - I think it's called] and it does the trick.  Then I just dab concealer under my eyes, around my nose and any other small marks.  But the dark circles have gotten out of hand lately. Not sure why. I am getting ample sleep.  Must be allergies - mine are going nuts.  I'm probably rubbing more than I realize. 

I check out Target tomorrow. I still havent' figured out where a mall is around here, but once I find one, I'll check out some of the other ones at dept counters. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

I love MAC Select Moisturecover concealer.  I also have dark circles and pale skin, and it works well. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

lol, unfortunately drinking tea won't help dark circles. Taking vitamin K and A orally can help. It's true what they say about carrots ;)

allergies are probably the culprit. Not so much from rubbing, but swellin gand pressure in the sinus cavities can certainly do a number on the capillaries in your eye area. especially if you're sneezing and blowing your nose, not to mention itchy eyes!

In Response to Re: OT- Undereye cream and concealer:
    Thanks, Pink and Kar!  Sorry you are getting walloped w/ weather.  We had rain last night and now the sun is out. :-)  Hee hee.  Although it did 'snow' on Saturday.  It was coming down at a pretty good clip, but hardly sticking.  They go nuts for a dusting down here. It was pretty funny to watch people walking like they were 90 yo on a sidewalk that was just wet.  I guess just drinking the tea won't work, huh?  lol.  I drink enough tea per day to float a boat.  I prefer liquid or cream concealer.  I don't really wear foundation, so I need something light that blends well.  I use a tinted lotion [actually, I mix my Olay lotion w/ Neutrogena Sheer Tint - I think it's called] and it does the trick.  Then I just dab concealer under my eyes, around my nose and any other small marks.  But the dark circles have gotten out of hand lately. Not sure why. I am getting ample sleep.  Must be allergies - mine are going nuts.  I'm probably rubbing more than I realize.  I check out Target tomorrow. I still havent' figured out where a mall is around here, but once I find one, I'll check out some of the other ones at dept counters. 
    Posted by ALF72

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

allergies are probably the culprit. Not so much from rubbing, but swellin gand pressure in the sinus cavities can certainly do a number on the capillaries in your eye area. especially if you're sneezing and blowing your nose, not to mention itchy eyes! In Response to Re: OT- Undereye cream and concealer :
    Posted by pinkkittie27

Good point re: allergies.  Another thing to consider is whether you might have an iron deficiency.  Lack of iron/anemia often causes bluish circles under the eyes.  I have an iron deficiency and find that when I forget to take my iron pills, my circles are worse.  In addition, the dark circles could also be genetic/cultural.  Many people of Mediterranean descent (I'm Greek-American) have issues with dark circles, for example. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

I love MAC Select Moisturecover concealer.  I also have dark circles and pale skin, and it works well. 
    Posted by mezzogal1124

I second the moisturizing MAC concealer - I have very dry skin and that stays dewey all day - but still covers my undereye-purples when they show up.  It doesn't make them crepey like mineral-based concealers/foundations do. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yes, that's why I recommended vitamin A. Iron does wonders for your skin,as well as calcium and vitamin c.

Hereditary dark circles can be more of a problem of the actual skin around the eyes being darker, or differently colored. An olive skin tone really emphasizes the purplish color of the dark circle. Plus, iron deficiencies and weak capillaries tend to be hereditary as well.

In Response to Re: OT- Undereye cream and concealer : Good point re: allergies.  Another thing to consider is whether you might have an iron deficiency.  Lack of iron/anemia often causes bluish circles under the eyes.  I have an iron deficiency and find that when I forget to take my iron pills, my circles are worse.  In addition, the dark circles could also be genetic/cultural.  Many people of Mediterranean descent (I'm Greek-American) have issues with dark circles, for example. 
    Posted by mezzogal1124

Sections
Shortcuts