OT- Vacuum

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

OT- Vacuum

We are looking for a new vacuum and are not sure what to get.  We have someone who would like to buy us one as a gift and is willing to spend some money on it..  We have a golden retriever, so as you can guess, we have lots of dog hair!  Other than that we want one with the option to do hardwood and rugs, and if it is a stand up have one of those hoses you can use to get into small areas. I've been looking into dysons, not sure if they are worth the money...  Anyone have a new vacuum that they love, or can recommend one?  Thanks!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Re: OT- Vacuum

My roommate has this crazy vaccuum that cost over $1,000.  It scares me, but it is pretty amazing.  It vaccummed dry paint off the hardwood floors when I was painting my room.

It also has all kinds of attachments, and cleans up well after our menagerie.  So, if your gifter is willing to spend that kind of money, I can find out what it is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

In Response to Re: OT- Vacuum:
    My roommate has this crazy vaccuum that cost over $1,000.  It scares me, but it is pretty amazing.  It vaccummed dry paint off the hardwood floors when I was painting my room. It also has all kinds of attachments, and cleans up well after our menagerie.  So, if your gifter is willing to spend that kind of money, I can find out what it is.
    Posted by lucy7368

That sounds awesome, however lil' too pricey. thanks! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

A couple of my friends have a Dyson.  It's a great vacuum cleaner!  They let us use it once, and we were shocked as to how much it picked up.  You can get one of those starting at $400.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: OT- Vacuum : That sounds awesome, however lil' too pricey. thanks! 
    Posted by ajuly09

Yeah... the most expensive vaccuum I ever bought was $40 at Target....I'm afraid to use hers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

The Dyson ball.  We got one and it is fantastic!  We got a less expensive one about two years ago as a wedding gift.  It was a Hoover and it died in about a year.  It was not cheap.  There was no way I was spending a couple of hundred on a vacuum that only lasted about 12 months, so we caved in and got the dyson. It's not cheap, but Sears and other places have them on sale on occasion and you can save about $100.  We have a mix of carpet and hardwood and also have a cat.  The wand attachment doesn't have much extension on it, but it's doable.  I have always hated uprights, but this vacuum has brought me around to the dark side. They do have a canister model as well if you really can't abide uprights.  I have allergies and the dyson really suck-s up all of the junk in the rugs and on the floor. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

We have a Dyson, but haven't used it yet.  We've been doing a lot of remodeling, so the only thing I'll use right now is the shop vac!  I think our Dyson was $495 (it was a wedding gift). 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BE2Be. Show BE2Be's posts

I agree with others - the Dyson Ball is fantastic. It is far and away the best vacuum I've ever used. It picks up everything and it's light and easy to manuever.  It's totally worth the money, especially if you can get it on sale.  (We got ours at bed bath and beyond using a 20% off coupon and wedding gift certs.). We have the smaller model and it works just fine.  I usually need to empty it every other time I vacuum but it certainly has the capacity to clean our entire house, which has both carpet and hard wood.  If it's in the budget, definitely get a Dyson.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

The Dyson ball.  We got one and it is fantastic!  We got a less expensive one about two years ago as a wedding gift.  It was a Hoover and it died in about a year.  It was not cheap.  There was no way I was spending a couple of hundred on a vacuum that only lasted about 12 months, so we caved in and got the dyson. It's not cheap, but Sears and other places have them on sale on occasion and you can save about $100.  We have a mix of carpet and hardwood and also have a cat.  The wand attachment doesn't have much extension on it, but it's doable.  I have always hated uprights, but this vacuum has brought me around to the dark side. They do have a canister model as well if you really can't abide uprights.  I have allergies and the dyson really suck-s up all of the junk in the rugs and on the floor. 
    Posted by ALF72

these were my thoughts exactly, why spend a couple hundred on a not so good vacuum when we can spend a bit more and get one that will last.  I read that about the wand on the dyson vacuums, there is one that is more expensive but it has a better wand, not sure if it is worth the extra 100 yikes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: OT- Vacuum : these were my thoughts exactly, why spend a couple hundred on a not so good vacuum when we can spend a bit more and get one that will last.  I read that about the wand on the dyson vacuums, there is one that is more expensive but it has a better wand, not sure if it is worth the extra 100 yikes.
    Posted by ajuly09

If you look around for a good sale, it probably is worth it, depending on how much you use the wand.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Amazon also has sales on the vacuum if the Sears sale isn't for a while.  And there are always the 20% coupons for BBB.

I couldn't stomach spending the extra $100 for the longer wand.  The wand is just for attachments like crevices and upholestry.  The beater bar does hardwood and carpet [the bristles retract and extend] so you don't need to use the wand for the hardwood.  The only thing I found a bit irritating is that the vacuum is designed for shorter women. I have to bend slightly at the waist to get the ball portion to turn. If I stand upright and just move it from side to side, it doesn't swivel like it does on the commercials; if I bend a bit, it does.  So if you are under 5'7" it probably works fine.  lol. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hobartt. Show hobartt's posts

dyson is good. Price is high upfront, but it works better than the cheaper ones. You also have to replace the cheaper ones often. So you end up paying the same amount eventually.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodie. Show woodie's posts

I have one of those "crazy" $1000+ vacuums. It's a Kirby. I got it as a gift. I don't like it and have used it once in the past year. Reasons I don't like it.
    - It's very heavy.
    - Changing from carpets to hardwoods requires a multistep process of removing parts from the vacuum.
    - It scratched my hardwood floor and lifted up a tile. 
    YMMV

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

We got the Dyson ball mini last year when the condo had to be practically sterile, it was recommended by the hospital.  I was seriously shocked (and disgusted) at how much cr*p it pulled out of our carpets.  We had them cleaned professionally & then I used the dyson again & even more came up.  I would never get another type!
    I just wish i had known I could use a 20% coupon at BBB, I was in a rush to get it & couldn't shop around.  But it's worth it, even at full price! 
    I haven't had a n issue with the wand, it's short, but useable.  Anything I can't reach I get with the hand vac.  Although I'm asking for a Dyson hand-vac for Xmas (how lame!)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Oh the joys of marriage, Ti!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamer-6-19. Show Dreamer-6-19's posts

I ditto the Dyson ball.  It is absolutely amazing and I could never get a different brand of vacuum!!  We also used the 20% BBB coupon which is a great savings!!  Last year one of my associates at work got married, and we got him the Dyson Animal (think it was purple) and he said it works wonders with dog hair! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

thanks all- i guess the dyson is the way to go! I feel better knowing that it is worth the extra dough! 

Sections
Shortcuts