OT - what to do w/ a beef tenderloin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

My first thought was "Duh - eat it!" :)

When you start to get tired of beef, I say slice it real thin, pan-sear it, and serve it with a balsalmic vinagrette on a bed of spinach with tomatoes, candied walnuts, and whatever else makes you happy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

So, FMIL somehow had a zillion pounds of beef tenderloin and gave us half a zillion of them. I seriously have a whole cow in my freezer...lol. What do I do?

Can i pan sear it and then put it in the crock pot? Or is it better in the oven? I have about 7 of them so if I fail the first 3 times hopefully the next 4 will turn out well...hahaa. :-)

recipes welcomed!! (think cheap, and easy...mostly cheap)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]Hmmm... ams, can you sell it?

I mean, assuming that there's a lot...[/Quote]

sure what are you offering? ;-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Thank you all so much! Thankfully I have enough tenderloin to try all of these....probably more than once! :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maggierep. Show maggierep's posts

Beef tenderloin shoul not be wasted on stew, or crockpot meals. For a roast, bring to room temp.[45 min],lightly oil and salt&pepper. Roast in oven , til 10degrees less than you want it. Take out ,put foil on loosely to cover and let rest for 10 min. Pan fry it basically the same way, use tongs to turn it, and make sure the meat isn't really cold because that ruins the texture of it. www.allrecipes is a good site to get easy recipes from.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]Aww stupid formatting![/Quote]

wow your mom rocks!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Hmmmm.... homemade coffee cake? Brownies? Cupcakes?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

It might be considered a waste, but what if you cut it into chunks and made beef stew once or twice?

Beef fajitas too...yum!

Can you marinate some of it and freeze it for a few weeks out? If so you could use the grill later on...

We did pan fried tenderloin Saturday night with mashed potatoes and green beans...I didn't have salt and ran out of Worcestershire, so I marinated them in A-1 for about 10 minutes and it came out great

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]

Yum![/Quote]

I forgot to mention the cheese. That's the best part! I normally go with gorgonzola, but I'm sure you can find something else good that's cheaper. Trader Joe's has a good selection that's pretty cheap.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]

I forgot to mention the cheese. That's the best part! I normally go with gorgonzola, but I'm sure you can find something else good that's cheaper. Trader Joe's has a good selection that's pretty cheap.[/Quote]

mmmmm I love cheese. i love it so much I gave it up for Lent. It is SO hard!!! but, that's the point. I am thinking I will try your recipe (and kargiver's) after EAster!! :-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

chop it up, and make a stir-fry, or several :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Slice it about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick for beautiful filet mignon steaks.
    I just saw the Barefoot Contessa roast a tenderloin roast in a 500 degree oven. She cooked hers to 125 for rare (I'd go 130 for medium rare). Makes a lovely roast sliced. She actually let hers cool and made wonderful looking sandwiches with arugula, parmesean and tomatoes on crusty french bread. Recipe should be available at Foodtv.com.
    Last time I made Beouf Bourguigon the butcher sold me tenderloin tips and it was delicious, so I'd say go ahead and make some into beef stew. But don't over cook it or it might completely fall apart.
    Normally I'd agree not to "waste" it on stews - but since you got it for free, you should do whatever you want! :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]My first thought was "Duh - eat it!" :)

When you start to get tired of beef, I say slice it real thin, pan-sear it, and serve it with a balsalmic vinagrette on a bed of spinach with tomatoes, candied walnuts, and whatever else makes you happy.[/Quote]

Yum!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]A-M you make me laugh......[/Quote]

:-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Aww stupid formatting!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

My mom just sent me about 35 crock pot recipes, lol:

Beef Tips

stew meat (any amount)
      1 env. Lipton onion soup
      1 can. golden mushroom soup
      ½ c. red wine
      1 can mushrooms, drained

Mix all together in crock pot and cook all day on low. Serve over rice or noodles.

Beer-braised Beef in Crock Pot

3 lb. lean beef stew meat cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    2 med. onions, thinly sliced
    1 can mushrooms (or pieces) undrained (8-oz.)
    1 can beer (12 oz.) dark or light, your choice
    1 tbsp. vinegar
    beef bouillon cubes
    2 tsp. sugar
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp. thyme
    2 bay leaves

Put the beef in the crock pot. Combine all the other ingredients and pour over the beef. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Before serving thicken juices if desired.

Beef and Pasta Casserole

1 lb. beef
    onion, chopped
    1 tsp. salt
    ¼ tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    ¼ c. flour
    c. hot water
    2 tsp. beef bouillon granules
    2 tbsp. red wine
    1 pkg. shell macaroni (6 oz.)
    1 can mushrooms, drained (4 oz.)
    1 c. sour cream

In skillet brown the ground beef and onion. Drain; place in crock pot. Stir in salt, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce and flour. add water, bouillon and wine; mix well. Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours. Cook macaroni per package directions. Add cooked pasta, mushrooms and sour cream to crock pot; stir to mix. Cover and cook on high for 10-15 minutes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've done something very similar to this one of Rachel Ray's, and it can be adapted to have a cheaper topping than gorgonzola. Blue cheese would be good, too, for less.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vanessa11382. Show Vanessa11382's posts

AM are you surprising me with dinner tonight?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mulizard17. Show mulizard17's posts

A-M you make me laugh......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from samanthastevens. Show samanthastevens's posts

thanks, maggierep for your advice. I was sick thinking someone would actually stew a tenderloin our treat it as chuck beef. www.allrecipies.com or www.cooks.com have many ideas for such a tender cut of beef.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Hmmm... ams, can you sell it?

I mean, assuming that there's a lot...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]
    ETA. Don't you ever put it in a crockpot - that is for less tender meats. Like chuck roasts. Tenderloins you can almost eat raw. Treat it with respect.
    [/Quote]

Mmmmm... . Now you have me thinking she should make steak tar tar...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good for you arms! See, you are already a pro --- but do put that meat thermometer on your wishlist. Even tenderloins turn out different. - Pingo

[Quote]OK tried the first one tonight -- turned out great and practically no effort! I didn't do anything fancy just oil salt pepper and garlic powder, put it in for aobut 25 minutes at 425.

Yummmy. :-)

Dont know if I could do tar tar...eek.[/Quote]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Ams - a meat thermometer is pretty cheap. I would just buy one, if you have that much tenderloin. You don't want to mess it up, and it'll come in handy later.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vanessa11382. Show Vanessa11382's posts

Sections
Shortcuts