OT - Worst Christmas gift you've ever received?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

OT - Worst Christmas gift you've ever received?

I saw this topic posted on another board and thought it would be a fun discussion for the day!

Mine:  One year, my grandmother on my dad's side gave me this hideous shiny gold, oddly shaped purse with a matching hideous, shiny gold umbrella in it.  OMG, it was the worst thing I've ever seen.

DH's grandmother also gives me lousy gifts.  Everyone else gets checks or cash (woman is loaded), but last year I got a candle that smelled awful, and the year before I got hand lotion that smelled even worse.  Can't wait to see what she's got in store for me this year!  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Re: OT - Worst Christmas gift you've ever received?

This pic says it all!  My grandma gave my sister and I AWFUL sweaters for Christmas last year!  I dressed up as a granny to take the pic.  My heart breaks though; it's the thought that counts, right? LOL

And some years ago, my ex-boyfriend bought me vitamins for Christmas...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Haha, this is fun. My dad's side of the family really knows nothing about me (despite spending a lot of time together), especially my aunt/godmother. When I was 16 (and fancied myself a punk rocker), she gave me these weird pre-teen clothes from JC Penney that didn't even fit because they were obviously for a younger child, then got mad at me when I couldn't get them on. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Haha love that sweater! My step-mom gave me hand made luggage tags... essentially my name and address hand written on hot pink paper and laminated, with a zip tie. Oh and she put on some very pretty shiny stickers on them too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

One Christmas my dad gave me one of those over-sized, framed Red Sox posters of the entire team. It is the tackiest thing I've ever seen.
    The only time we hang it up is when he comes over. I don't have the heart to throw it out as I know it was probably expensive.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

We spent Christmas last year with our best friends and their respective families.  I *totally* did not expect them to get us presents (their families don't really know us and we're not related, so why would they?).  My friend's husband's sister gave us A Christmas Story Monopoly and A Christmas Story on DVD.  Some people might like this gift, but I HATE that movie with a passion.  Got stuck in the ER one Christmas and had to watch it over and over again, like 4 times on TBS.  It was awful.  I think we gave them away on craigslist.

We are spending the holiday with them again, so I asked my friend to tell her family NOT to get us presents!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

LOL Trex, I almost bought A Christmas Story Monopoly for my Stepdad this year. It's his favorite movie and we put the TBS marathon on every year while we unwrap gifts!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Haha, that is funny!  I've found that people either love or hate that movie!  I had this discussion with some coworkers recently and a few were shocked that I didn't like it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fizzz. Show Fizzz's posts

TREX - Do you mind me asking where your name came from/what it means?! Thank you :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Fizzz! It's been a long time! How are you lady?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fizzz. Show Fizzz's posts

It HAS been a long time! Everything is great - working, last-minute shopping, greatly looking forward to New Year's Eve.

I have a verrrrry slow day at work so I thought I would visit my old friends on the board. Any good updates I should know about?!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Fizzz:  you mean my screen name, Trex509?  Actually, it is a completely random username I made up a while back.  Trex popped into my head and i was wearing a t-shirt with 509 on it, so I used that!  Although my birthday is 5/11 so I should have used that instead.

Why do you ask? :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Things are good-looking forward to the holidays as well. We bought a house this year out in central MA. It's fun being a homeowner dispite the expense involved :-)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Trex - I am 100% with you on that movie! I thought everyone loved it but me.

P.S. I thought your name had something to do with the dinosaur!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My paternal grandmother always gave me clothes that were at least 3 sizes too big.  So, my mom always put them away for when they would fit, but by then they were out of style, but I had to wear them anyway.  I remember in particular one ugly pair of light purple corduroy pants in 1981.  I was hoping they'd NEVER fit, but, alas, they did...in 1983 or 4.  I was stylin'.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fizzz. Show Fizzz's posts

Ok, so, my husband and I have had this 5 or 6-year-long inside joke about naming our first son "T-Rex" (yes, like the dinosour) and we recently adapted it and realistically thought that "Trex" could be a pretty kick-a$$ boy name. There is a siding company or something named Trex, but other than that, I have never seen it written out! (Aside from T-Rex of course, in reference to the dino).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

My godmother has the best of intentions and is on a fairly tight budget, but she gives me the worst presents!!!  Like a can of wd-40 or something along those lines.  But the thing is, she gets me like 6 crappy gifts when she could just put the money towards one decent one!

But I think the worst gift I ever got was when I had been dating a guy for 10-11 months and he said don't get me anything... I took that as a major hint!!  His aversion to committment was obvious enough before that :oP

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Fizz:  oh, haha!  That's funny!  Yeah, I can't remember how it popped into my head.  It is so hard to make up screen names so it was rather random.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Last Christmas-  A doorbell and chimes that would play "The Yellow Rose of Texas" on an electronic car horn (what it sounded like.)   Never did install it in our N NH home.  From a cousin's wife from - guess where?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

one year I got this butt ugly tapestry earring box...and my mom got a matching oversized handbag

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

When I was 14, my boyfriend gave me a red mohair cardigan cable knit sweater. 

That was in the day when all the cool kids wore Pandora crew-neck pullover sweaters, so the red mohair was the farthest thing from cool.

Jimmy told me it was okay to return it so I spent the entire day at Downtown Crossing in Filene's but no one would take it back.  I finally went to Filene's basement and one the salesladies said she remembered it from the year before, but they wouldn't take it back.

I was crushed and hurt.  But not surprised, his mother hated me!  (for good reason, ha ha ha!!!) 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

For good reason, cos???  I highly doubt that. 

I vote your present the worst of the worst. :(

Hope you made out better this year!!

~kar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sniper99. Show sniper99's posts

Divorce Papers on Xmas Eve

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, my...nothing says "Merry Christmas" like that.  It could only be worse if it were a surprise "gift."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ToonieR. Show ToonieR's posts

Every year we were allowed to open one Christmas present on Christmas Eve from the big box my aunt sent.  Usually the presents were good, but one year all the girls got a box of Tums, with a typed note saying that Tums were the cheapest source of calcium to prevent osteoporosis.  That's got to be the farthest thing from the mind of a 15 year old, although clearly she meant well.  The next Christmas our aunt sent us boxes of thankyou notes, as apparently we had neglected to send thankyous for the Tums the prior year.