Palladium...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Palladium...

Hi ladies!

As my boyfriend and I start to nail down what my ring will be, we have started to research on different metals. We have both decided we don't want white gold, and platinum is pretty darn expensive. We have been doing research on palladium and seems as it is comparable to platinum but at a fraction of the cost. Do any of you have any palladium jewelry that you want to share your experience with?

Thanks!

http://www.bluenile.com/palladium-jewelry/palladium-education?track=head

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: Palladium...

What is your reason for not wanting white gold??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I have nothing against white gold, it is just our (mostly my boyfriends) preference.

I didn't start this thread to knock people who have white gold.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gosh, I don't have any personal experience with it, but it looks gorgeous to me.  I also know that Blue Nile doesn't even sell 14k gold because it's not high enough quality for them.  So, I'd assume they aren't lowering their standards to carry this.

However, one concern I do have is sizing it.  I'd call Blue Nile and ask how easily it can be sized; you never know.  Also, if it can be resized, do local jewelers have it available to do the sizing?

I'd also like to know your concerns about white gold. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We're sure you're not intending to knock anyone's white gold rings or preference for it.  But, if your boyfriend has any unfounded concerns he might be disuading you from having what you both might really like, after all, based on a mistaken idea of how it will look in 50 years, for instance.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I took a photo of my mom's old white gold ring right up against my 1 year old platinum ring.  But, I cannot for the life of me find the USB cord to transfer it.  The color is barely noticable even in person.  The white gold is a bit shinier because it's not as soft and prone to scratching as platinum.

...if I find the cord (did the dog eat it???) I'll post.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Cici: I think you are talking about tungsten or tungsten carbide rings.  They are VERY hard materials, very durable.  But I think you are right, they cannot be resized.  They cannot be cut as easily as other metal rings in an emergency, but they are so common now that I think most ERs and ambulances carry the tools needed to cut or break them off. 

Or titanium, that's also another newer metal for wedding bands.

My ring is yellow gold, but has platinum prongs.  I think FI said that since platinum is stronger, it is safer for holding the diamond.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not that this helps, per se, but just to show the color of a relatively old white gold ring that was never plated with rhodium right up against my platinum.  The one with the purple stone is the white gold. I didn't edit the photo at all.

Hope this helps!

~kar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I like the grayish look to platinum, where white gold is more shiny. It's just a personal preference, we all have them.

Cicirose, I was worried about that as well, the whole swelling of the fingers, but then I read from a jeweler, that palladium can be re-sized, it just takes longer than other metals. I don't think titanium can.

See, Kar, now I can't see the difference!
    Oh man I give up....I keep telling him to get what he wants and he keeps telling me to look up all these metals and asking me what I would prefer. I just don't know enough but any of them!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, me, too.  But, when you said your BF was mostly against it I wondered if he was under the impression it "yellows."  Didn't want you guys to make a decision based on something that doesn't seem to be true as far as my experience goes, anyway.

But, if you like that greyish look, I can understand that - it's why I have platinum myself.  You can definitely see that my white gold ring IS shinier than my platinum one, and it's 40 times older.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, that's why I was eager to post them side by side.  I was sure you might have some misconceptions about white gold.  I will say, though, that it is a bit shinier, and it has more of a silver color rather than the greyish cast of the platinum in person.  But, at the same time, the photo is pretty darned good as far as showing how they really look.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Let me see if I can get another shot that shows the very subtle difference a little better....hold please.  My battery is dead on my camera.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OK, here's a few more of a different angel on toilet paper which is, of course, white for contrast.  The middle ring is the white gold.  The others are platinum.  The first picture, I think, shows the slight color difference, the "yellowing" of white gold.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Thank you, Kar! Whatever happened to the good ole' days when the man would buy the women the ring, and she would have zero say in it? I don't think my mother had any idea that my father was going to propose to her, let alone any say in her 14k gold band, and pear cut diamond! Things have definitely changed!

P.S. Kar, I can see the difference very slightly. Your mothers ring has held up quit well after 40 years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry if I made it that much harder, but I figured white gold wouldn't be as bad a choice for you as you had imagined. 

I know, it's a great thing and exciting, but stressful to be involved, too.

Did those 3 photos help?  It's hard to know myself since I can see them in person, too.

P.S.  Remember, that's the look of white gold 40 years from now.  It will be shinier longer than platinum.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

No, they did, and I am going to show them to my BF when he gets home from work. I appreciate it, as I appreciate so much of your advice :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's great - I was hoping you wouldn't be offended since your OP asked about another metal.  There were some misconceptions about white gold that I didn't go too nuts refuting in the rings thread, and I figured now was the time since you are making a purchase decision.

My mom's ring is 14k white gold.  I'm glad the slight color difference was apparent. 

Thank you, I love my mom's ring.  The irony of my having it to show what old white gold looks like is that she never liked the white gold.  It was the in thing for fashion (non-wedding) rings when she was in high school so she asked for it, but regretted it - she always wanted yellow and never thought it looked good on her skin.  So, YAY, I got it when I was old enough...12, I think.

P.S.  It will take a long time for white gold to be quite so scratched, but if DH's yellow gold ring is any indication it won't stay super shiney long, either.

Oh, I know, what if you get a brushed white gold?  I don't think rhodium is necessary at all if you don't want it shiney.  As you can see, yellowing is not really a valid concern, at least IMO.  Rhodium is what makes white gold crazy shiney and extra white which isn't the color you want.  Natural white gold (or at least as natural as it can be since it's an alloy) is much closer to the look of platinum.  White gold looks much different than platinum if it is plated with Rhodium which is often the case.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

DH's ring is palladium. We bought it at the Alpha Omega liquidation sale a couple of years ago and it's great. It looks like platinum except it's extremely light. He was uncomfortable in most of the rings he had tried on, but loved the feel of the palladium. It doesn't scratch as much as platinum and is naturally "white" so it doesn't need to be rhodium plated.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Tri, that's EXACTLY why I think I would love palladium. I like a light metal, and I like that it does not scratch and I wouldn't need to get it dipped. Thank you for telling me about your husbands ring.

Thank you for the links, Cici!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Peonie, my e-ring is palladium.  I posted it in the "show off your rings" thread (its the second post on the thread).  It has definitely dulled since I got it in March but nothing a little cleaning can't fix. 

My fiance, whether unfounded or not, thought it was a good compromise between white gold and platinum.

As for tungsten carbide, it's true that it can't be cut off or stretched, which scares me.  But it's what my fiance wanted because of it's color so he ended up with a tungsten wedding band.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

clc, your rings are very pretty - not that it matters, per se, but if I saw them on you "out there" I'd assume it was platinum. 

By the way, I don't think there's anything wrong with avoiding white gold, but I just like to make sure people are properly informed before they dismiss a metal they might actually like.  There are a lot of myths out there about all the jewelry metals, including white gold.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

The jeweler where we bought our wedding bands highly suggested palladium.  My rings are both platinum.  He suggested platinum for my band since my ering is but for my fiance, he suggested palladium instead of platinum because of the cost.  The prices of gold are also crazy.  My fiance got yellow gold (his preferred metal) and I have no first-hand experience with palladium but I liked our jeweler and trust his advice that it is a good metal.  It was Freedman's Jeweler in the Jeweler's Building, if you want to know. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

peonie,

My parents have exactly the same wedding bands in gold and I always thought I would do that - have matching gold bands. To me, that's what wedding bands are "supposed" to be. 

And then I fell in love with an engagement ring in white gold. So no gold wedding band for me!

and then my husband liked the tungsten bands because he likes the darker color and the shiny-ness, and that it won't need to be polished and 'dealt with' ever. 

But I had a white gold ering and a tungsten wedding band wouldn't have matched.   (not that I wear my ering anymore, but 3 yrs ago I thought I would!)

So the unthinkable happened:  we have 2 completely different wedding bands!  gasp! 

So you two can get whatever your individual hearts desire!

My husband LOVES his tungsten carbide band.  (well,as much as a man "loves" jewelry, lol).  I like my wedding band - but honestly wish I'd pushed to shop around some more, at different stores, because there weren't many options in the store and a friend now has a wedding band that I love and adore and think would look fab on my hand!

but I digress.

get whatever ring you want, peonie and peonie'sman!

Smile

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Thanks CT-DC! We have decided to definitely go with Palladium. My BF wants to get me a top notch diamond rather than platinum, and I have no problem with him spending his money on that, rather than a more expensive metal!

Right now it is between Longs and Lux Bond and Green, but I have zero choice on that one!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'm late on this one, but I figured I'd share in case anyone else is reading and thinking of tungston: DH's first ring was tungston w/white gold insets and made by David Yurman. one of the insets popped out and couldn't be repaired, b/c of the tungston. we were very disappointed. so, the ring he has now is not the ring I put on him on our wedding day. funny thing is, if he'd lost it I wouldn't have minded so much, but it breaking and not being able to be repaired was upsetting.
    it was very similar to this ring: http://www.davidyurman.com/shoponline/product.aspx?itemId=N3689&folderid=/men/rings&filterValue=&filterType=
     I wouldn't be surprised if the reason you can't buy this ring in tungston/white gold anymore is because if that problem.