Planning a wedding while working

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Re: Planning a wedding while working

I was in customer service.  I could see that there were 50 irate customers on hold (I only dealt with irate customers - I was in a special handling unit), getting more irate the longer they waited, and she would have a customer on hold while she looked at invitations on line.  Or whatever.  It was always something different.  And I was like, "You know, if you would help me take these calls now, we'll both have free time later to do stuff."

And I remember last year, I needed help researching a legal issue, and my friend told me that she would look at it as soon as she finished checking her registry.  Undecided

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

In Response to Re: Planning a wedding while working:
    [QUOTE]I was in customer service.  I could see that there were 50 irate customers on hold (I only dealt with irate customers - I was in a special handling unit), getting more irate the longer they waited, and she would have a customer on hold while she looked at invitations on line.  Or whatever.  It was always something different.  And I was like, "You know, if you would help me take these calls now, we'll both have free time later to do stuff." And I remember last year, I needed help researching a legal issue, and my friend told me that she would look at it as soon as she finished checking her registry. 
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

That's obnoxious. I can understand being irritated with that girl because she's clearly shirking work.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Now that's just awful. I mean, I could understand someone somehow rationalizing to themselves that picking out their invites or DJ was more important than their current work task- but to shirk your responsibilities because you're busy seeing what people have bought for you is just plain awful.

[QUOTE] And I remember last year, I needed help researching a legal issue, and my friend told me that she would look at it as soon as she finished checking her registry. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I forgot to mention that, when I was in customer service, we worked nights.  I mean, you're on the 5 pm to 2 am shift, and you can't do your wedding planning before you show up?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Oh jeez, this story just gets worse and worse! When you hold hours like that (presuming it's your only job) there's no reason for it.

[QUOTE]I forgot to mention that, when I was in customer service, we worked nights.  I mean, you're on the 5 pm to 2 am shift, and you can't do your wedding planning before you show up?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

[QUOTE]I forgot to mention that, when I was in customer service, we worked nights.  I mean, you're on the 5 pm to 2 am shift, and you can't do your wedding planning before you show up?

That is ridiculous!

I worked with a guy that used to "take the afternoon off" by sitting at his computer and do his fantasy baseball or football draft. Then the next day he'd ask me to help him because he was going to be late on a deadline.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Planning a wedding while working : That is ridiculous! I worked with a guy that used to "take the afternoon off" by sitting at his computer and do his fantasy baseball or football draft. Then the next day he'd ask me to help him because he was going to be late on a deadline.
    Posted by cicirose[/QUOTE]

That is not related to wedding planning at all but it used to make me so mad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

I guess I assumed, with this group, it's a no-brainer that "planning a wedding at work" does not equal "shirk your duties and make everyone's lives around you miserable while doing it."  I did most of my emailing/researching duirng lunch hours, my work always got done well and on-time, and I virtually never talked wedding unless explicitly asked (which wasn't very often).  Some of these other stories are pretty horrifying!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

It does depend on your work situation.  I am kinda a one woman show at work, so there really isn't anyone around to pick up the slack if I was slacking off.  I also work 10 hours a day, get paid for 8 and I don't take a lunch so if I send an email here or there, or spend 5 minutes on a personal call I don't feel too bad.

But I know what you mean.  I have friends at work that are in other departments where they have a coworker who slacks off.  She works part time hours now that she has a kid, so she comes in for only 4.5 hours a day, spends an hour away from the desk talking to people in other departments and still takes a lunch.  They definitely resent.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Planning a wedding while working : That's obnoxious. I can understand being irritated with that girl because she's clearly shirking work.
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE]

If she breaks something and needs PT, I know one planning her own wedding who will keep her waiting, as payback!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hmmm but most of us post on here from work, right?  So how is that worse than the coworkers who plan from work?
    Anyway, of course it should be done in moderation.  You can totally visit venues and meet with vendors on nights and weekends - don't worry!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

[QUOTE]Hmmm but most of us post on here from work, right?  So how is that worse than the coworkers who plan from work? Anyway, of course it should be done in moderation.  You can totally visit venues and meet with vendors on nights and weekends - don't worry!!
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

Some of us never post from work, ever.  For good reason.
    It varies according to what work you do, whether okay or a bad idea.  I am willing to bet that amongst us there are people whose jobs forbid it, and who are not on break,  when they post here.
    As anyone who ever went to a store, restaurant, hospital, or their own office in the evening knows, not everyone works M-F 8-6.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

I thought your question about contacting vendors on weekends was funny because if you think about it, these people work every weekend!

I think you will find most vendors are very accomodating.  They are used to calling people back/meeting with people in the evening and on weekends.  Email and websites make it very easy to contact people these days.  Everyone has voice mail and cell phones now, so calling people after hours is really never an issue.

We met with most of our vendors in the evening.  At the time, I also worked full time, in a very stressful job taking care of terminally ill children.  I could barely think about my wedding, let alone plan it, at work.  I was lucky, because my mother wanted to plan (and pay for) my wedding (and I didn't care), so she did a lot of legwork ahead of time--setting up appointments and scouting out venues.  I know a lot of today's brides don't want to do that, which I think is too bad.  It sure takes the pressure off.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

I just read the other comments and have to say, I though Wag's comments were very interesting since I think the ancillary medical roles she is describing (nursing, PT--and I don't mean ancillary in a derogatory manner--I am a nurse--just separating them out from doctors) all have set lunch breaks and are paid hourly, accordingly.  And not just in hospitals, where your lunch break is actually assigned to you.  Most doctor's offices and PT offices I have been to as a patient or dealt with as a professional have a lunch break between 12 and 1.  If anyone has time to plan a wedding at work, its a nurse!! 

Of course a surgeon should not leave in the middle of an operation.  But that is an extreme.  It is sort of a gross overgeneralization to say that because someone makes a phone call on their lunch hour, or even from the nurses station during a minute of downtime they are doing what this doctor did or not doing their job.  All this bozo needed to do was wait till his lunch hour!  And I can guarantee he had one!

I work in the medical area.  And based on the number of people I see lined up at tbe bank, the Starbucks, and the CVS near my office, there's loads of medical professionals doing non-professional things on their lunch hours!

Sections
Shortcuts