Proof you can have a fab wedding for $5k

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Proof you can have a fab wedding for $5k

Found this link and just had to share it:
    http://offbeatbride.com/2010/01/new-hampshire-church-wedding#more-4200

It's in NH, not MA, but I still think this bride gives a lot of good advice. Her pictures are also beautiful.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodie. Show woodie's posts

Re: Proof you can have a fab wedding for $5k

Thanks for the link Pinkkittie!  It's refreshing to see a bride who focused on being low maintenance. So many brides stress over the smallest details...like "crisis! I can't find the right shade of toenail polish to match the bridesmaids dresses." 
    I loved the pictures and the attitude of the bride. 
    -K

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

The cake and invites are beautiful!  I see no shame in that wedding, I can't believe people responded and said that they wouldn't attend their "weird" wedding.  What awful family. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I wouldn't call it weird either, it is quite retro, as I recall (from stories not personal experience) receptions were often in the church hall with other members of the church serving.  The couple sure looks happy and the photos are very cool.  I am glad that they enjoyed their day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How horrible, indeed, to decline a wedding because it doesn't meet their standards!!!   It wasn't underwater or atop Mt. Kilimanjaro or anything.  Looked and sounded perfectly lovely to me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly was "shameful" about the wedding.
    Did they use printed address labels or something?? ;) j/k

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

aw, man.  It's a blocked site for me.  I'm so curious, I'll have to check it out at home.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Got to be honest, don't think she says anything really special here, except that you don't have spend a lot to have a wedding if you don't want to.  Its easy to spend less than $5000 is you don't feed people a full meal or have music.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I do think she gives some good advice, such as: "Those details that all the bridal blogs are constantly obsessing over are NOT worth your sanity. Seriously."

I also think her pictures are fun, and the attendents and the bouquets and everything look fantastic for being done on a small budget.

and she served a brunch. that's a full meal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

brunch food is my favorite food! My Aunts wedding was a brunch buffet and I ate like 5 waffles, 3 sunny-side up eggs, tons of bacon, and delicious homefries...mmmmmm good times!

ok, maybe not THAT much food....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

liz- agreed! I love brunch as well!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, your story reminded me I made a PIG of myself (not that you did!) at a wedding where they served all the cocktail shrimp you could eat (literally).  We all started slow so as not to be rude, but when it became apparent there was no end to the constantly refreshed platter, we all started returning with TONS of them on our plates.  Bless that couple.  Anyway, if there was an endless supply of bacon I think I'd have a repeat experience!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Honestly, she had a make your own waffle station, a guy making omlets, bacon, homefries, eggs, bagels, toast, pastries...honestly I was in heaven!!!

And you could tell all of her guests were very happy because everyone went up for second and thirds.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

I missed the brunch part.  Oops.  I do think that is a meal.  Still, I don't think any of this is rocket science.   I think the problem comes when people want a sit down meal, a DJ, a fancier place than the church hall (nothing wrong with that, don't get me wrong!) and other trappings for $5000.  That's probably a little harder!

But it does sound like a wedding that was exactly what they wanted, that was fun for them and their guests.

I do agree you don't need to pay attention to the bridal blogs about what you must have (I think we can all agree--bride, groom, officiant, check to pay for license only requirements).  I hope people take notice!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Ash- you make good points, and I think that leads to the bride's other advice of "EDIT EDIT EDIT"
    In other words: decide what is most important to you, budget from there.

and while you might not be able to have a $5k wedding with all the trappings, we have to ask ourselves: how important are those trappings to me and how much am I willing to spend on them?

sort of like how I skipped on flowers because I couldn't stomach the cost, but spent a lot on food and venue. my MOH pointed out that she'd serve PB&J at her wedding to get her dream flowers (she's a gardener for a living!)

spend your money on what's important to you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I love that she breaks everything down in detail. what a great link, thanks for sharing!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I had a wonderful day, but looking back on it, did I need all those extras we spent money on?  No...I'd rather have the money towards a down payment on a house. :) 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You really have regrets, ajuly?  What would you have done away with?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

ajuly- I know what you mean! I wouldn't call it regretting, I would say that my priorities are just different now after almost 3 years. I wouldn't go back and change it, but I do admit that if I had to plan a wedding this year it would be much less expensive.
    But hey, that's life!