Receiving lines - an observation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Toffee. Show Toffee's posts

Receiving lines - an observation

Ahh, just returning from my honeymoon and can't seem to quit you guys.  (Not that I ever planned to...) 

But I do have one quick observation about my wedding day to share with you.  I've always been anti-receiving lines as a wedding guest because after the (generally long) wedding ceremony, I don't want to stand for another 30 minutes to slowly filter out the door as the couple is greeting each and every guest.  That said... We chose not to have a receiving line. 

My observation is that my DH (woo!) had a whole hour to watch guests enter the church and see the faces of our 180 family and friends gradually over that time.  Because my walk down the aisle and back were both a blur, I had the experience of seeing all 180 of these people all at once during cocktail hour.  This caused a total panic attack (albeit minor) which I never ever anticipated!  I just saw all of these eyes on me and everyone bee-lining toward me.  I burst into tears and hid in a corner (literally - I'm so embarassed that I acted this way!) and all of my bridesmaids fluttered around me to hide me from everyone.  It was a quick 2-3 minutes and I was calm and back in business, but after that moment, I decided I was PRO-receiving line!  Had I had the opportunity to greet each guest one by one, I would have not had that moment of stress and all-eyes-on-me...everyone you know and love...all at once.  Overwhelming in the extreme!  

I never, ever saw something like this coming...  Just an observation I wanted to share!   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Re: Receiving lines - an observation

Toffee - i'm sorry this happened - I can totally understand this reaction!!  I also wish I had done a receiving line because although I got to chat with some guests before the reception started, I know there are some guests that I did not personally greet at any point during the day because my DH refused to get up and do "rounds" during the meal!  Bless him for wanting to eat and forcing me to eat, but it did stress me out (I'm still a bit stressed about it, 3 months later) that we didn't do the typical "rounds" - although we made efforts to get to each table after we had finished eating.  One thing I was not anticipating is that some of the older (not elderly, but older) guests left pretty much right after the meal!  So I had to run across the floor to say hello/goodbye to some of them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'm also pro-receiving line. I was urged by my coordinator to have one, and I'm so glad I listened to her.

Congrats! and thank you for sharing!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I am pro receiving line as well with a slight caveat.  We just did the parents for both DH and myself, as well as myself.  The rest of the bridal party was just mingling with people until we were ready for pictures.  It worked out very well for us and it did have some light hearted moments, like when my niece in typical little girl fashion ran up to give me a hug around my knees and almost took me out.  It was actually very funny and sweet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

In Response to Re: Receiving lines - an observation:
    [QUOTE]I am pro receiving line as well with a slight caveat.  We just did the parents for both DH and myself, as well as myself.  The rest of the bridal party was just mingling with people until we were ready for pictures.  It worked out very well for us and it did have some light hearted moments, like when my niece in typical little girl fashion ran up to give me a hug around my knees and almost took me out.  It was actually very funny and sweet.
    Posted by wendy98[/QUOTE]

This is what we're planning on doing, also.  Just the parents, MOH (my sister), and BM (his brother), and us, of course.  We're going to do the receiving line after the cocktail hour as the guests are about to enter the ballroom for dinner.  Our ceremony is in the middle of the afternoon, so we want to make sure we make it to the venue in time for pictures (with daylight) as we'll be leaving the church immediately following the ceremony.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

That's the way we did it. Just me, DH, my parents and his parents. Our attendents greeted and mingled by the bar.

It does create some sweet moments. Like when DH's adult cousin started by saying "Hi, I'm DH's cousin, his Uncle So&so's son. MIL's nephew." and then I had to laugh and say "We've met before silly. Give me a hug, it's good to see you!"

[QUOTE]I am pro receiving line as well with a slight caveat.  We just did the parents for both DH and myself, as well as myself.  The rest of the bridal party was just mingling with people until we were ready for pictures.  It worked out very well for us and it did have some light hearted moments, like when my niece in typical little girl fashion ran up to give me a hug around my knees and almost took me out.  It was actually very funny and sweet.
    Posted by wendy98[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

we didnt do a receiving line, but we also got married onsite at the reception, and there wasnt a great place to do it without a major backup, plus we only had 30 minutes for the ceremony before we started eating up cocktail hour.

So, we went through and said hi to the tables during dinner. We managed to hit the tables much more quickly than we thought. We did our required wedding things, and then I said, no more, I will see you on the dance floor! DH mingled off the floor much more than I did. I know I should have done a little more kissy-kissy talking to people, but I wanted to enjoy my reception. A lot of people commented on how much fun DH and I were having.

Oh well, it's my party and I'll' dance if I want to!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I still regret not doing the receiving line, because we never did "go around to the tables".  I totally missed his table of cousins.  It was an accident but I still felt bad about it.  Good thing they know me and love me anyway, but ...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Hi Toffee - Thanks so much for posting this. We weren't planning on having a receiving line either but I am also the type to get nervous in large groups so it's very possible that I would have a similar reaction. I honestly would never have even thought of that until I just read this. Thank you!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

We went table-to-table. We only had 86 people and didn't get through all of the tables during dinner, but I made sure to talk to everyone at some point (usually on the dance floor!).

Receiving lines freak me out. Sorry you had that episode, though, toffee!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I'm honestly not a huge fan of receiving lines, but we're going to do it to get it out of the way.  Our worry is that we're going to miss someone if we don't do it, and we don't want anyone to be upset.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

[QUOTE]I'm honestly not a huge fan of receiving lines, but we're going to do it to get it out of the way.  Our worry is that we're going to miss someone if we don't do it, and we don't want anyone to be upset.
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

That's great because then you'll be able to sit and enjoy your dinner and get straight to dancing without worrying you haven't greeted everyone!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Well, I'm sorta not off the hook with that one, quite yet.  My FI still would like to go from table to table to say a "quick hello" to everyone, as well.  So, we're doing a two-fold thing of receiving line and greeting at the tables.  We're being strict with our timing, though, and only keeping it to a 2 minute max per table.  We're estimating about 22 - 24 tables for our reception. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I think we'll also try to a receiving line as long as there is space.  I like that way you don't feel pressured to visit each table and can relax more at the reception.  One wedding we went to did a receiving line outside after the ceremony and what was really nice was after the greeting, the photographer took a photo of each set of guests as they walked towards the reception area.  I thought that was really cool so you are sure to get a photo of all your guests!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

tell FI that my DH tried to do that and ended up missing dinner because of it.

[QUOTE]Well, I'm sorta not off the hook with that one, quite yet.  My FI still would like to go from table to table to say a "quick hello" to everyone, as well.  So, we're doing a two-fold thing of receiving line and greeting at the tables.  We're being strict with our timing, though, and only keeping it to a 2 minute max per table.  We're estimating about 22 - 24 tables for our reception. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

That's what I told him.  He said that we'll eat dinner, then do our visits.  Honestly, I don't really see it happening.  Or, we'll start, then get pulled away. 

The last thing I want to miss is my dinner.  I've been waiting a year for this meal.  Oh, and the cake!!!

I think the receiving line is plenty.  Everyone's going to be walking into the ballroom for dinner anyway, so we'll make sure to get everyone that way.  Then, we can just see them up at the dance floor (where we'll be for 90% of the evening, anyway). 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

My FI was adamant that we would eat.
    Our event manager actually came over to us, interupted us talking to one table (nicely of course) and told us that our food had been served

That was an easy exit for us to go eat, we did so, and resumed our tables after that!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yeah, some people can manage both, but I really think one or the other is the way to go.
    Doing both really presses you for time, and as it is the reception flys by, so you want to have a chance to enjoy it.

My coordinator grabbed us both and sat us down to eat, but DH got up "real quick" do to table visits. By the time he was done, the dinners had been cleared and it was time to cut the cake. So there was a whole hour there during our wedding where I didn't even see him. He totally regrets it.

[QUOTE]That's what I told him.  He said that we'll eat dinner, then do our visits.  Honestly, I don't really see it happening.  Or, we'll start, then get pulled away.  The last thing I want to miss is my dinner.  I've been waiting a year for this meal.  Oh, and the cake!!! I think the receiving line is plenty.  Everyone's going to be walking into the ballroom for dinner anyway, so we'll make sure to get everyone that way.  Then, we can just see them up at the dance floor (where we'll be for 90% of the evening, anyway). 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]yeah, some people can manage both, but I really think one or the other is the way to go. Doing both really presses you for time, and as it is the reception flys by, so you want to have a chance to enjoy it. My coordinator grabbed us both and sat us down to eat, but DH got up "real quick" do to table visits. By the time he was done, the dinners had been cleared and it was time to cut the cake. So there was a whole hour there during our wedding where I didn't even see him. He totally regrets it. In Response to Re: Receiving lines - an observation :
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

Okay, I'll make sure to pass this message along to my FI.  He DEFINITELY doesn't want to miss his meal that night, and we'll make sure we talk to our coordinator that it's ok to interrupt us if we're talking and dinner's been served.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

I agree the night went by so quickly and I kept saying to myself - where is DH!

It is hard to stay together when everyone wants to talk to you, especially each family wants to see their respective person - either the bride or groom - a little more!

n Response to Re: Receiving lines - an observation:
    [QUOTE]yeah, some people can manage both, but I really think one or the other is the way to go. Doing both really presses you for time, and as it is the reception flys by, so you want to have a chance to enjoy it. My coordinator grabbed us both and sat us down to eat, but DH got up "real quick" do to table visits. By the time he was done, the dinners had been cleared and it was time to cut the cake. So there was a whole hour there during our wedding where I didn't even see him. He totally regrets it. In Response to Re: Receiving lines - an observation :
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

The only reason we didnt do a receiving line is b/c our reception was a good 30-40 minute drive from the church and I didnt want anyone to miss it.

Anyway, we did OK and with 147 guests we managed to get around to all the tables and still eat our dinner and not feel totally rushed. We had a game plan, sometimes we split up a bit but not completely and it worked out. Everytime we would sit down, for a toast or dinner or whatever - we would quietly talk about where we needed to go next.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Funny....we didn't plan on doing one but as we walked out of the ceremony room and ended up in the cocktail area a line formed!  We just started saying hi to people and I am so glad this ended up happening.  We got to sit and relax the whole meal and one of my favorite memories was looking around the room at everyone eating, drinking and having fun!  It was dream like with the music playing, candles lit etc.

C'est la vie. I guess the best things aren't always planned!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'm glad I'm not the only one!
    I started getting a little emotional the third time I had to hunt him down: "This is our wedding, wouldn't you like to spend it together?"

[QUOTE]I agree the night went by so quickly and I kept saying to myself - where is DH! It is hard to stay together when everyone wants to talk to you, especially each family wants to see their respective person - either the bride or groom - a little more! n Response to Re: Receiving lines - an observation :
    Posted by ilovebeagles[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Toffee, just wanted to add that I was anti reception lines until my wedding (where we didn't plan one, but an informal one formed at our reception site).  Its just an easier way to see all those people at once.

As a guest, I am still not a fan of them, mostly because I hate introducing myself to a boat load of people and I think they should be limited to the bride, groom and parents (let the bridal party drink for goodness sakes).  I say if you have one, people can opt out of it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, my, Toffee, so sorry you had that moment!  Sounds like a deodorant commercial.  ;)

Count me in as pro-receiving line, too.  But, it helps to gently move people along with a friendly, "we'd love to catch up more at the reception - see you there soon!" to the long winded. 

Sections
Shortcuts