Receiving lines - an observation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: Receiving lines - an observation

well I don't think there's any easy way to great all the guests when there's over 150 of them. Either way, you've got more than 15 tables to visit or you do the receiving line in a smallish window of time.
    It's tricky. You've just got to decide what will work best for you and what you'll be able to manage.

In Response to Re: Receiving lines - an observation:
    [QUOTE]Absolutely, Pinkie - my MOH was thoughtful enough to order a deli platter for me, my mom, my FMIL, and her for when we were getting dressed together at the Inn before the wedding.  I'd have died otherwise. pingo, you have a very good point.  I have to agree that a rec line is AWFUL for everyone if the wedding is over 150 guests.  The bride and groom have to stand there forever, and so do most guests. 150 is average, though, so, on average, I still think they work great and keep the bar from being mobbed all at once.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm so glad we kept it to 80, as tough as it was to manage the guest list.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Food beforehand is key.  We ordered lunch to be delivered to both the guys' and the gals' getting ready suites.  

Funny detail: My dad somehow didn't realize that the girls got the same lunch that the guys did.  He started hoarding the delicious tofu salad from the guys room, and told them he was saving it for me.  He came and brought me a big plate of it over in the girls' room.  He was like--don't worry, I've brought you some food! Of course, we had our own big serving platter of it in the girls' room. It was funny and super cute.  :p

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In theory, it's easy enough to make it to all the tables, but stuff happens so be prepared.  Our venue had a veranda (as they call it - a porch to me :o) and people spent a lot of time out there.  So by the time we got to table 11 out of 18, the rest of the tables were half empty!  We still should have made more of an effort, but oh well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I've said it before on another thread about this, but you really can't get to everyone no matter what you do, as even if you do have a line, you will have line-dodgers.
    Who knows why they dodge, maybe they need to get to the restroom, or they're about to pass out from hunger, or they have social anxiety and don't want to have to introduce themselves to that many people.
    I saw a couple of people dodging my line, they did their best to avoid eye contact as they scuttled away, fully aware that they were doing something odd. I tried to not let it get to me and spend my time greeting the people who did want to say hello.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]I've said it before on another thread about this, but you really can't get to everyone no matter what you do, as even if you do have a line, you will have line-dodgers.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

Ok, that's really weird.  Unless there is a physical reason you can't stand in line (in which case, I would hope people would let you go to the front), I don't see why you would go to a wedding and then avoid the bride and groom. Even if you wanted to go the restroom, you could always go back and get in line, right?  Weird.  Undecided

Were they, like, relatives you had to invite but didn't actually know?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I've been to a lot of weddings where, during the receiving line time, people avoid them like the plague. Why they wouldn't want to congratulate the B&G and their parents, I have no idea, but it happens a lot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ariel81916. Show Ariel81916's posts

I'll admit to having dodged a line... if it actually happened.

It was cold and rainy, outdoor ceremony, indoor reception. As the happy couple were about to recess, the officiant said they were going to have a receiving line going into the reception. Only problem is they wandered off and started taking pictures. After waiting around for 5 minutes, freezing ourselves silly, probably 95% of the wedding guests made a beeline for indoor comfort.

Whether it eventually dawned on the couple that their guests were miserable and weren't going to wait around forever, I have no idea. They were still taking pictures for the next 15 minutes or so (there were huge windows where the cocktail hour was and you could see out to where they were).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I don't know if you recall but the last thread I shared this on, I got a lot of flack from some line-dodgers who said they had good reasons to dodge a line. Words were exchanged and I was accused of treating guests like cattle. I'd not like to re-visit that conversation.

I just think, personally, that if you don't want to congratulate the bride and groom and their parents on their wedding day because there is a line to wait in then you just shouldn't go to weddings.
    Lines are a part of life, we all have to wait in them sometimes.
    I also think that the bride and groom should think about the comfort of their guests and not have the line anywhere that's not climate controlled.
    I had a very short ceremony, and my ceremony and reception were in the same room. People dodged anyway. There was no excuse for it.

The line dodgers were on DH's side of the family. I'd never even really met them before, so it was very hurtful, but I guess some people think they're too good to stand in line.
    I don't remember who didn't give us a card or gift, I don't remember who left early, I don't remember if anyone had too much to drink, but I will always remember those who dodged the line.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Receiving lines - an observation : Ok, that's really weird.  Unless there is a physical reason you can't stand in line (in which case, I would hope people would let you go to the front), I don't see why you would go to a wedding and then avoid the bride and groom. Even if you wanted to go the restroom, you could always go back and get in line, right?  Weird.  Were they, like, relatives you had to invite but didn't actually know?
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

i like receiving lines. i liked ours, we had just us, no parents, no bridal party and right outside the church. it was wonderful to see everyone say hello and see you on the dance floor at the reception! we also tried to go table to table but some people were using the facilities or at the bar or dancing as we went around so I was glad that i at least got some face time with everyone!

the oddest receiving line at a wedding was between the cocktail hour and dinner. no one knew what was happening. the couple hung out at the cocktail hour with everyone and then they were introduced formally, then had the first dance then the receiving line. after that they showed a 15 minute slide show followed by dinner. it wouldn't have been as strange if they hadn't mingled during the cocktail hour + (it was long) and talked to a lot of people.

if they had done the rec line after the ceremony it wouldn;t have seemed off at all to have them at the cocktail hour, i think it was just broken up in a confusing way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

sher- that is odd!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

sher - that's the weirdest planned wedding happening I've ever heard of (aside from the whole wedding being off the wall).  What a bumbling mess; who was their wedding coordinator and did the happy couple get their money back???  ;)

As for dodging, that's weird, too.  We didn't have to deal with that - there was only one narrow way out of our chapel so even if anyone wished they could dodge us there was no way out except to congratulate us first!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

The worst part is that in order to dodge the line, these people had to walk right past it and us to get to the tables and food.
    They walked right by me, DH and our parents, avoiding eye contact. It was such a slap in the face. No, I would have preferred a smack in the face, at leat then they would have acknowledged me! Instead of walking by pretending like we all weren't there.

[QUOTE]sher - that's the weirdest planned wedding happening I've ever heard of (aside from the whole wedding being off the wall).  What a bumbling mess; who was their wedding coordinator and did the happy couple get their money back???  ;) As for dodging, that's weird, too.  We didn't have to deal with that - there was only one narrow way out of our chapel so even if anyone wished they could dodge us there was no way out except to congratulate us first!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]The worst part is that in order to dodge the line, these people had to walk right past it and us to get to the tables and food. They walked right by me, DH and our parents, avoiding eye contact. It was such a slap in the face. No, I would have preferred a smack in the face, at leat then they would have acknowledged me! Instead of walking by pretending like we all weren't there. In Response to Re: Receiving lines - an observation :

Pink, that's heartbreaking.  And, as much as you probably tried to push through and ignore it, it must've been tough on you, too.  Just say congrats, people.  Doesn't take long!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know if you recall but the last thread I shared this on, I got a lot of flack from some line-dodgers who said they had good reasons to dodge a line.   In Response to Re: Receiving lines - an observation :

I'm sorry.  I must have missed that thread.

So - how 'bout them Red Sox?  Cool

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

well, like I said, I'll never forget it and if you don't like lines you just shouldn't go to weddings, banks the RMV or amusement parks.
    I just wanted all those line-dodgers out there to keep that in mind, it's very hurtful to see someone skip your line.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Receiving lines - an observation : Pink, that's heartbreaking.  And, as much as you probably tried to push through and ignore it, it must've been tough on you, too.  Just say congrats, people.  Doesn't take long!
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

DH and my stepdad are going to the game tonight! :)
    Go Sox!

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Receiving lines - an observation : I'm sorry.  I must have missed that thread. So - how 'bout them Red Sox? 
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]DH and my stepdad are going to the game tonight! :) Go Sox! In Response to Re: Receiving lines - an observation :

How fun!!  I love those Sox!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Not gonna lie, I've dodged lines before...most of the time I didn't realize that I was dodging a receiving line and thought it was a line for the bar/restroom/appetizer table (depending on how the venue is laid out, these were plausible). 

Lines feel so awkward to me. I rather find the B&G on the dance floor or during another part of the reception, chat for a sec, get a photo, and give them a hug. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

A little OT - the last wedding I went to was a month after mine, and there was a receiving line.  The first person in it was the groom's father.  Since the bride was a friend of mine, I spoke first and when I went to introduce myself I stumbled on my name, since I had just changed it to DH's last name and hadn't actually introduced myself like that until that moment!!  So I was like, "Hi, I'm Heather... um...er... V, a friend of Melissa's" and he was looking at me like I was speaking sanskrit.  Then I had to introduce DH and stumbled over calling him my "husband" since I was more used to calling him my fiance.  The groom's father must have thought I was looney.  Or drunk.

ETA: I feel like I might have already shared that story.  If so, perhaps I *am* looney.  (or drunk)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I think I have probably dodged a line.  Not positive.  If so, my thought was why wait in line to speak to the bride and groom for three seconds when I can just find them later for a private moment.  But I'm glad to hear a bride's point of view.  I will never dodge again!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

The bride and groom have a line so that they can enjoy themselves at the reception.
    I didn't want to be stopped a hundred times on the dance floor for a picture and a hug with every guest. I understand this is what feels most natural to people, but it's just not practical when you've got over 100 guests and they all want that same moment.
    The line is there for a reason, it gives everyone their chance to say hello, and meet the parents- which was very important to my parents. They usually don't get a chance to meet my friends.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]The bride and groom have a line so that they can enjoy themselves at the reception. I didn't want to be stopped a hundred times on the dance floor for a picture and a hug with every guest. I understand this is what feels most natural to people, but it's just not practical when you've got over 100 guests and they all want that same moment. The line is there for a reason, it gives everyone their chance to say hello, and meet the parents- which was very important to my parents. They usually don't get a chance to meet my friends.

I completely agree!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from italianqueen. Show italianqueen's posts

My daughter is having her ceremony at the reception venue and she does not want a receiving line.  After the ceremony, her and her new husband will to going out to take some wedding pictures (hopefully, weather will be fine).  She will be back before the cocktail hour is over and wants to mingle with the guests then.  She also plans on taking a group photo at every table which I think will be nice.  (I think I will be telling the photographer to move her along to the next table and not have her/husband stay at one place too long).  I am hoping she will be able to do this during the lull in the dinner before the entree comes out. She is having about 120 people. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

[QUOTE]sher - that's the weirdest planned wedding happening I've ever heard of (aside from the whole wedding being off the wall).  What a bumbling mess; who was their wedding coordinator and did the happy couple get their money back???  ;)

still have no idea why it was planned that way...right after their first dance they stopped in the middle of the dance floor and the coordinator started having people line up. followed by the slide show...but we had all already spoken to them (they are family and were mingling!)...and i don't think anyone dodged their line.

might be standard for that venue? or maybe they thought they were coming up with some unique way to flow through the reception...they may have thought everyone would stand around the dance floor watching the first dance instead of from their tables?...in any event it was not a smooth flow.