Recommend your haircolor!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Recommend your haircolor!

I had my hair colored this weekend at a salon using the Paul Mitchell PM Shines haircolor.  I have naturally medium/dark brown hair, and this stuff made it darker with a reddish tint, and really shiny!  It's a demi-permanent color with no ammonia and all natural ingredients, so it doesn't damage your hair.  Only problem?  Insanely expensive!

I want to color my hair again for my wedding, but I'd rather just do it at home and save the money.  Can anyone recommend a good haircolor that's semi or demi-permanent and won't damage my hair?  Thanks!  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Re: Recommend your haircolor!

kmt09, how much was it?  That sounds great!  I love how you said it's shiny.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

My friend had it done at this same salon, and I loved the color so much I had to try it.  It was $50 for the color, then they charged me about another $25 for the wash and blow-dry.  In my opinion, it's not worth it for a semi-permanent color. 

However, I've also been very spoiled, in that my mom's good friend is a stylist and does my hair for a fraction of the salon prices.  :)

I actually just found the PM Shines color on eBay, so I think I might just buy some of it and have her do it for me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Oh, that is pretty pricey.  I think the price of the color sounds okay, but $25 for a wash and blow dry?  That sounds like a lot.  I'd rather go home with wet hair :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

In Response to Re: Recommend your haircolor!:
    [QUOTE]Oh, that is pretty pricey.  I think the price of the color sounds okay, but $25 for a wash and blow dry?  That sounds like a lot.  I'd rather go home with wet hair :)
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

Same here.  They didn't tell me until after they finished that the wash and blow dry was an additional charge, of course.  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Of course, God forbid they tell you.  If it were just $50 for the color, wash, and blow dry, that sounds like an okay deal.  Otherwise, let me just dry my own hair, thanks!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I am a loreal cream excellence girl myself, I go with a 6RB (reddish brown) and my hair is very dark brown naturally, but if I actually was out in the sun a lot (like I was in HS) then it naturally gets a reddish hue.

I typically wash my hair every other day with shampoo and conditioner, unless I have been crazy active and am all sweaty and gross.  And I don't blow dry my hair a lot either I just towel and air dry on most days.  That has made all the difference my hair hardly has split ends and is soft and shiny.  My hairdresser always compliments the condition of my hair, and sure you could say that she is buttering me up for a better tip but I believe that she just wouldn't say anything at all if it wasn't in good contidition.

And remember some BBB have a section with hair products I know the one in Burlington does, and you can use those 20% off coupons for hair care includeing the haircolor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]Of course, God forbid they tell you.  If it were just $50 for the color, wash, and blow dry, that sounds like an okay deal.  Otherwise, let me just dry my own hair, thanks!

I won't be returning to that salon.  I don't like it when businesses aren't straightforward with their prices; I like to know what I'm going to be paying before I commit to it. 

I just bought the PM Shines color and processing liquid on eBay for a total of $18.  I like that price better.  LOL!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, that is pretty pricey.  I think the price of the color sounds okay, but $25 for a wash and blow dry?  That sounds like a lot.  I'd rather go home with wet hair :)

I've done that before.  Once because I needed to save the $15 more than I needed well-styled hair, and once because I was desperate to get in, and the salon told me, "Well, she can fit your color, but there won't be time for a blow-dry and style." 
    It's not a big deal... except maybe in January.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

IMO, $25 is too much for a wash/blow dry.  Plus, kmt should have been notified of the price before realizing what it was at the counter.  I would've been aggravated, too, and probably would've said something to the effect of, "You should have told me that it was an additional cost". 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Dang! I think those prices are pretty low for what you are getting. I am used to paying more for hair than you guys are.

I can't really recommend a color product b/c (1) I've stopped coloring my hair, except for demi-perm b/c I am growing the color out [less than an inch to go!] and I just have to make sure the ends stay darker.  And (2) I would never color my hair at home b/c I don't trust the OTC hair products; I'd rather pay a professional to get it done right.  However, I did stumble across a John Freida that is absolutely fabulous and makes your hair so shiny. It's John Freida Luminous Clear Glaze.  It works like a deep conditioner/glaze treatment.  They have one w/o color [and that doesn't alter color already in your hair] and it's phenomenol.  I use it 1 or 2 times a week and it has made a huge difference in my hair.  We have well water and it tends to make my hair dry and brassy.  This totally hydrates it and brings it back to life.  [I know I sound like an ad].  My hairdresser said it's a great product and impossible to overuse b/c it's really just a deep conditioner.  If you like it, you could try one w/ color.  It's about $10 for the bottle, but it lasts a good 4-6 weeks.  Good luck!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

I like L'Oreal Color Spa Moisture Actif which also has no ammonia.  I use #30 Chestnut which is a dark reddish brown but my hair is very dark brown so I would not suggest this for medium or light brown hair.  Does not dry out my hair and last about 6 to 8 weeks.  Can get it at Target or CVS for under $10.  Still debating if I should color it myself or go to my salon before the wedding.  I am thinking about a few highlights that I do not think I can do on my own. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

In Response to Recommend your haircolor!:
    [QUOTE]I had my hair colored this weekend at a salon using the Paul Mitchell PM Shines haircolor.  I have naturally medium/dark brown hair, and this stuff made it darker with a reddish tint, and really shiny!  It's a demi-permanent color with no ammonia and all natural ingredients, so it doesn't damage your hair.  Only problem?  Insanely expensive! I want to color my hair again for my wedding, but I'd rather just do it at home and save the money.  Can anyone recommend a good haircolor that's semi or demi-permanent and won't damage my hair?  Thanks!  :)
    Posted by kmt09[/QUOTE]

Could you try going to Boston Beauty to get the same color and apply at home?

If not, I really like L'Oreal Feria.  My hairdresser actually thought it was my natural color and told me never to get my hair colored because I had such nice hair!  When I told her I used and Feria, she said to never let anyone convince me that I needed to get it professionally done :-)

One tip she did pass along was Feria has something in it that makes your hair have highlights and be shiny, so if you go to a professional place after having it done - just let them know you use it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I like Garnier 100%, it's the only drugstore haircolor I find doesn't fade too quickly and has true to box results. I've been using their Intense Auburn for about four years. It's the color you've seen in my wedding pics, a deep intense red.
    Feria fades too quickly.
    My mother swore by L'Oreal preference for years when my brother and I were kids and she didn't have the $ to get her hair colored professionally.