Registering in time for the Engagement Party

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Registering in time for the Engagement Party

Engagement parties are not gift giving events.  However, if people are telling you in advance that they want to buy you gifts, you can either spread the word through whomever is throwing the party that you intend to register at X store [and hope they give you GCs] or else you can set up a small registry w/ some linens and towels and kitchen appliances, and then add the big ticket items later when you have had a chance to figure out what you want. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I think your idea of registering for a few small items now and then doing the rest once you're closer to the date is perfect.

ALF's right that typically these parties aren't gift-giving events. At ours, the three people who did bring gifts brought small "everyone-can-use-this" gifts: candle holders, picture frames, ets.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemondrop23. Show lemondrop23's posts

Thanks for the input. I think we'll probably register for a few small things for now. 

I didn't think engagement parties were usually gift-giving events either. Then again, the aunt who suggested registering would probably live at Crate and Barrel if they let her! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It seems that the etiquette is changing regarding engagement parties, unfortunately (imo).  It used to be a non-gift-giving event, and I preferred it that way.  But, that ignores the issue - it's changed. People DO bring gifts to engagement parties these days. 

It's now awkward to bring a gift AND to not bring a gift!  Fabulous, huh?!

So, as much as I hate to agree with registering now and adding to it later, I do.  If people are going to give gifts at this occassion, and they will, you might as well register early enough to allow them to give you what you actually want.

Congrats on your engagement!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I think it's inappropriate for the average couple.  If someone wants to get a small token, that's fine but not necessary.  By registering, other guests will read it as a signal that a significant gift is expected.  And you certainly don't want to put out that message.

Engagement parties are to announce/celebrate the new engagement.  If you've already registered, it looks like gifts are your priority. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hopefully, only people bound and determined to give a gift for this party will even know about the registry.  Others won't think to ask or look this early. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

In Response to Re: Registering in time for the Engagement Party:
    [QUOTE]It seems that the etiquette is changing regarding engagement parties, unfortunately (imo).  It used to be a non-gift-giving event, and I preferred it that way.  But, that ignores the issue - it's changed. People DO bring gifts to engagement parties these days.  It's now awkward to bring a gift AND to not bring a gift!  Fabulous, huh?! So, as much as I hate to agree with registering now and adding to it later, I do.  If people are going to give gifts at this occassion, and they will, you might as well register early enough to allow them to give you what you actually want. Congrats on your engagement!!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Sigh.  Pretty soon any time you say the word "engagement" or "wedding" you are going to be required to throw money at the couple.

I hate that pretty much every party is becoming a gift giving event.  Personally, I wouldn't register because I wouldn't want people to think I expect gifts.  At an engagement party, if people want to get you something, they can pick a small gift themselves.  But if you register, I feel like it sends the message that you want/expect gifts.

But if in your case your family is really pushing it, I guess I'd start a really small registry with inexpensive items (nothing over $50).