Registry Advice

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Registry Advice

Hi Guys!  We're going to the registry event at Crate and Barrel tomorrow and I realized we haven't even thought about what we want to register for.  So I'm looking for some advice!

1)  What is your favorite thing you registered for?

2)  What did you register for that you use the most?

3)  What did you register for that you don't use at all (maybe wish you hadn't registered for)?

4)  Any other advice?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

Re: Registry Advice

In Response to Registry Advice:
    Hi Guys!  We're going to the registry event at Crate and Barrel tomorrow and I realized we haven't even thought about what we want to register for.  So I'm looking for some advice! 1)  What is your favorite thing you registered for? 2)  What did you register for that you use the most? 3)  What did you register for that you don't use at all (maybe wish you hadn't registered for)? 4)  Any other advice?
    Posted by trex509

Hi Trex, Have fun tomorrow at the C&B event.  I went to one at the Burlington Mall when I was registering and thought it was really fun.  Here's my advise:
    1) My favorite thing is my set of Fiestaware from Macy's.  I got 12 sets (4 each of three colors) and a bunch of the accessories like the veggie platter and the butter dish.  Macy's had them on sale for half-price most of the time my registery was up so they were also affordable to guests.
    2) I love to host parties so I got a couple cute serving prices like a cheese and cracker tray, a nice chip and dip set, and a set of 12 of C&B's white square appetizer plates, they make little get togethers look like really nice parties. IMO
    3)  I registered for a couple really specific things like a fancy wok set (that requires a lot of up keep I didn't pay attention to when I picked it) and a fondue pot that have only been used once, if that, since I got them.  I wouldn't say not to get them but the basic stuff like a really nice blender or a food processor are going to get a lot more use.
    4) I'd be wary of telling people that you went to register or making the registry public too early if you have families like mine who are a bit nosy.  A lot of the stuff on my registry was bought way before the invites went out for the shower and some people complained to me and my mother about there not being enough to choose from.  Also, if you over-cook a lot or bring leftovers to work I'd highly recommend Sterilite, they weren't on my registry but a cousin bought me a set and I love them.  It's the first container I've trusted to use for bringing leftover soup to work for lunch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hmmm... advice...

We definitely received stuff we haven't used yet, but I think it's just the nature of the items - you don't use china or a standup mixer every day.  I'm sure we'll use them over the years!

One thing I regretted was registering for too many towels.  Random, I know.  But I was embarrassed afterwards when I realized how many towels I had requested - and received!

We registered for some random things at Target.  I didn't think we'd get them, but I'm glad we did!  (a cooler, a firepit)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I love, love, love my all-clad stainless pots and pans.  I registered for them at C&B individually because they are so expensive.  I got them all, use them and love them.  I also love the dimpled glasses they have there.  I can't think of the name, but we have the tall and short ones and use them everyday. 

Who knows why, but I registered for a large rectangular white table cloth and got it.  Of course I didn't have a table big enough for it at the time, and the table we did eventually get is oval.  I've yet to dig the table cloth out of the attic to see what it looks like on the oval table, but I'm guessing it was a waste.  That's my only case of "maybe that wasn't such a good idea."

Good luck and have fun!  :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I have no idea if C&B sells these...but we have the full set of Calphalon non-stick pans, and they are, by far the BEST cookware I have EVER used. They cook food amazingly and the clean up is incredible.

Highly recommended. I know you can get them at BB&B.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

We also got the Calphalon and love it (the only thing my DH insisted upon).

I would say think about what you have and what you don't have, and then think about your lifestyle.  We didn't register for, but got, a few "party" things, like a chip&dip set and a cheese platter... I have used those probably more than anything else we received aside from sheets and towels!

We also got a full set of new everyday plates etc, but we already had everyday dishes (albeit very old ones) and haven't even unpacked the new ones yet (and it's been 8 months).  I hope by the time I unpack them to use, I still like them!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Don't forget to register for a gravy boat.  You're going to think you'll never use it, but you'll want one later.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Thanks guys!  We had so much fun!  Although we spent 2 hrs in the store, came home and realized we still had a pretty tiny registry.  It is more work than I expected!  We also hit Bed Bath and Beyond and I think we'll probably make a larger registry there.  Their prices seemed better.

Now if only we could find a china pattern we actually like...

PS.  I was thinking about tablecloths too (C&B has some really pretty ones!) but realized like you, Trouble, we don't have the table yet, so kind of hard to buy it!  But we did register for some gorgeous placemats and napkins.  :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stacyg. Show Stacyg's posts

Hi Trex.  I too registered at both C&B (also went to bridal thing there this weekend) and at Bed Bath & Beyond.  The prices at both places were pretty similar, but the great thing I found about BB&B is that your guests can use the 20% coupons that they receive in the mail.  Also found out that after our wedding C&B will give us a 10% coupon on use on whatever we want that wasn't bought off our registry.  I love buying stuff, especially when I am saving money while doing it... Stace

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My favorite thing I registered for was a broken up set from Cutco of kitchen knives, their $2000 Ultimate Kitchen Block.  I use them every single day.  I've never been sorry a minute, and I actually do remember who bought us each piece and think of them many times because of it.  So, that answers #1 and #2.

#3, Generally, I wish I'd registered at Williams Sonoma rather than Crate and Barrel now that I've been using things we got from the registry over a year.  I registered at C&B based on the quality they had about 15 years ago.  It all looks the same as it was, but many things have broken.  BUT, that being said, they have been EXCELLENT about giving me store credit when I bring stuff in and tell them I got it from my wedding/shower registry.  They are very nice about it, too.  WS is more expensive, but their merchandise is of higher quality and lasts, for the most part, much longer.  C&B was perfect as far as the registry process goes, though.

I use everything we got (except the worn out or broken stuff, of course!) because I put tons of time and effort into the choices.  I've seen engaged couples running around with the registry gun seemingly pointing it willy nilly at everything, and I wonder if they are considering their cabinet space as they go along.  Doesn't seem like it.

#4, I don't have any stellar advice other than what's indirectly mentioned above.  Be very careful to consider where you'll PUT stuff.  If you get twice as much stuff as your cabinets can accomodate......

P.S.  Here's the knife set.  I happened to get black handles and a cherry stained block.  Ultimate Set
    It allows you to register for it as one $2000 item or to break it up as individual pieces (we did the latter).  Here's a cheaper but very good set.  I don't use my salmon knife every day, after all.  Homemaker Set

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Stacy - BBBY does 10% off coupons after your wedding too - one for in-store and one for online. The 20% off coupon helps too. It's how we justified registering for $100/setting china. :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I didn't register for kitchen stuff, at the time we really didn't have a kitchen. But since then we've accumulated some things that I don't think I could ever live without again:

Cast iron skillets: I LOVE them. I love that I can start my aromatics on the stove top and then stick the whole thing in the oven to bake and roast.
    Cast iron grill pan: Indespensible if you can't have a gas grill.
    Crockpot
    Mandolin: if you don't have one of these and you do a lot of chopping, get one.
    A good nonstick wok with a cover
    Casserole dishes with covers that look nice: because we all have to go to a potluck sooner or later and it's so much easier than transferring it to a serving dish.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pinkkie, my "other favorite" is my cast iron grill pan from C&B - it reverses to a griddle.  We use it ALL the time!!

And, another word of advice.  Don't worry so much about the prices that you sacrifice quality.  People would rather spend any money on something that will last longer than the honeymoon.

P.S.  If you register for non-stick pans, get at least one stainless one.  Non-stick works for most things, but isn't the best at browning because of the properties that make it non-stick.  Browning requires sticking at least until the item is more done. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

reverses to a griddle??? Surprised I need it!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hm, the one I see on there now is cast aluminum for the same price.  I'm pretty sure what I have is cast iron; it weighs a ton, and I remember reading the care instructions that said to never let it air dry or it would rust. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: Registry Advice:
    Don't forget to register for a gravy boat.  You're going to think you'll never use it, but you'll want one later.
    Posted by lucy7368

Lucy - My mother could NOT stop talking about gravy boats when we were registering, LOL!  She said it was like her absolute favorite wedding gift EVER!  So, we got two but haven't unwrapped them yet... but I know we will!  They're very cute.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've used ours and even made homemade turkey gravy for it!  It was too salty, but I liked it, anyway, and our guest seemed to want to pick it up and drink from the boat.  He was either extra gracious or a salt hound like me (closet). ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I say register for whatever floats your boat. I think this is time to receive as a gift something you might never have purchased on your own.  It is a fun time so enjoy.  Just getting all the practicle stuff is a bore:)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Posted by lucy7368

thanks lucy :-p

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Registry Advice : thanks lucy :-p
    Posted by NorthernLghts

Note that I didn't say anything about your lack of silverware.  Innocent

ETA:  Also, the question just reminded me of how excited I was to discover that my roommate had a gravy boat when I found myself cooking Thanksgiving dinner a couple of years ago.  I would NEVER think to buy one, but it was very handy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I say register for whatever floats your boat. I think this is time to receive as a gift something you might never have purchased on your own.  It is a fun time so enjoy.  Just getting all the practicle stuff is a bore:)
    Posted by allreadymarried

I agree.  I think it's absolutely OK to register for ice cream makers and giant electric mixers and bread makers and stuff that you can't necessarily justify spending the money on (then again, I'm a baker, so I would use all those things if I had them, even though I recognize that I don't need them).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Register for fun stuff, but fun stuff you know you'll use. I feel really guilty when someone gives me something and I don't use it for years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Certainly, there's no rule that says you have to register for practical things!  But, before you go too far with the "Woo hoo!!!  Let's get all those fun things we'd never buy ourselves" idea, figure out if you can accomodate the space those things will take up.  An ice cream maker that's stuffed in the attic because it doesn't fit in the kitchen will be buried and forgotten in no time IMO.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Certainly, there's no rule that says you have to register for practical things!  But, before you go too far with the "Woo hoo!!!  Let's get all those fun things we'd never buy ourselves" idea, figure out if you can accomodate the space those things will take up.  An ice cream maker that's stuffed in the attic because it doesn't fit in the kitchen will be buried and forgotten in no time IMO.
    Posted by kargiver

Kar, in my reality where I am registering for gifts for a wedding, I also have a huge kitchen.  The joy of being delusional is that you can think big. Wink

Actually, I thought of it because my sane roommate's mother has a spare ice cream maker she is giving us - we have lots of room, and I am very excited to see what I can come up with.  There may be bacon ice cream in my future.  Or cannoli!  Cannoli ice cream!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

Trex - also a bit of advice, totally abuse the ability to update your registry online!  I went to BB&B with my MOH to start my registry and let my FI veto/edit online after.  We went to C&B together to pick out plates and stuff, but edited and searched to our heart's content online after.  It make it so much easier, and it's less overwhelmign than in person.  Of course some things you want to touch and feel first, but you can always go back and do that with your list.  :)  Isn't it fun!?