Show off your rings??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Show off your rings??

Ladies, show off your rings! If you feel comfortable. I don't have one yet...but if I did, I certainley would!

Kar already did in the other post :)

Uhhh, back to class......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Re: Show off your rings??

Okay I've never posted a picture before but here is my first attempt...

Sorry the photo is huge, I don't know how to change that.  We aren't married yet (May 15, 2010) but we bought our wedding bands last week so I had to take a picture.  Also, my hands look so old!! You'd never guess I'm only 24 from that picture.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Woo hoo I found a photo!  I don't think I've ever posted a picture of my ring(s) before.  I wish I had one that shows how well they fit together.  It was a miracle after all the bands I tried on that were too high.

I like this photo better :o)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oooh, how pretty, girls!! 

clc, congrats on the band purchase, and your hands look great - it's just dry skin from the winter.

Fram, it worked great - I love them both and how cool in the shell.

Can I go, again?  I got a much better shot!  Thanks. <Embarassed  for wanting to go again! />

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Ohhh love them all :)

clc I LOVE yours, as I am paritial to the princess cut :)
    Fram, was that taken on your HM? So pretty!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I got a little artsy fartsy with the camera, and took a pic of my ring in a carnation, haha. The one on my finger is blurry and my nails look awful!
    The diamond is his grandmothers from a million years ago, and to me, still looks brand new :) Still sparkles like crazy. He had it set in white gold from Kay Jeweler.

I love your rings, ladies!! Keep em' coming! I love looking at rings. I call it ring p*rn!

Kar, my FI informed me that my e-ring is under a carat, whoops! It is a .85cwt, so yes, it would look silly with huge side stones!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gorgeous, Liz!  How extra special it is when the stone is passed down, too.

(Try building a 3 stone ring on BN with a .85 center to see what happens.  Maybe they offer more 3 stone settings now than they used to.  I was looking 2 years ago.)

Aren't there more pictures out there?  I enjoy sharing everyone's joy with their rings, too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thank you, Kar. I have to admit...and fiance knows this...when I first got it, I wasn't *in love* because I always wanted a 3-stone like yours...just always dreamed of it, but over the past few months I have fallen in love with it, and may not even get the extra stones. I was more flattered that his grandmother wanted me to have her diamond.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Now this is a post I can get behind! You ladies have some gorgeous rings!

The diamonds are from three separate rings that belonged to my grandmother. The side stones were the stones from her wedding band and original engagement ring. She lost the stone out of her e ring and my grandfather got her a new ring to replace it. My FI had it redesigned into this setting. Even my Dad said it's the prettiest ring he'd ever seen. I just love the way it sparkles in church!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I guess I'm in the minority, I *love* yellow gold!  (hahah, it is funny you have to call it "yellow" gold since it is really just gold!)

My engagement ring is a cathedral setting:

Wedding band:

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Friar, what a sentimental ring, and a beautiful setting to bring all those special diamonds together in one amazing ring.

Liz, of course, it's your call, but I think you might be disappointed if you get your diamond reset.  The setting you have is stunning, and the 6 prong setting really showcases the beautiful and very sentimental diamond.

Trex, gold gold is a true classic, and the white prongs set off the diamond.  Very pretty!!

Fram, loving the shell shots!

Ladies, keep the photos coming...how much fun is this?! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lovely choice to go with a solitare, cici.  It's also like Liz's wedding band, too, if you remember.  She has an eternity band with alternating diamonds and saphires.  I like both styles, but a pro of the semi-eternity is its wearability and its being lower maintenance; the prongs on an eternity band are prone to extra wear and tear.  It looks just about the same on, too.

For those of you with eternity wedding bands be sure to put regular prong inspections on your annual list of things to do.  Many high end shops will do it for free, I think, with a cleaning, too. 

Oh, that reminds me!  I learned something about cleaning your diamonds, ladies, from Barmakian.  They told me that just like a little sand can polish rocks and a constant drip of water can make an indent in granite, grime in your rings can eventually push the prongs away from the diamonds causing them to FALL OUT.  They told me to not just clean the surface but to get some bristles down underneath the stones getting any gunk out of the settings.  And, when you go to the mall, get them steam cleaned. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Thanks Kar! I love it. In fact, I love all the rings that have been posted! Smile

Do you have to get your ring at the mall for them to clean it? The jeweler that did my ring is in Merrimack, NH and I don't see myself going there often enough to get it cleaned.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Also, while we're on the rings thread, you can see how platinum wears on my rings - see all the scratches?  The newer rings (white gold and platinum) are super shiney like mine was for a short time. :)

Anyone considering platinum needs to know that in a few years it will look more brushed than anything - and, that's exactly the look I wanted.  However, I know a man who bought a platinum wedding ring because he assumed (and never asked the jeweler) it was super hard and resistant to scratching.  Boy, was he pi$$ed when he found out how wrong he was.  He really didn't have the money to spend on platinum rather than white gold and the irony is that white gold is MUCH harder and resistant to scratching than platinum.  But, it was too late, he had what he had and spent what he spent.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8381655@N08/2719851434/in/set-72157619696563305/

Hrrrm aparently I cannot actually post the picture but at least a was able to provide the link.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Guys!  I love seeing everyone's rings too!

Cici: the band you picked looks just like the one I bought!  I *LOVE* the way it looks against my e-ring and it looks like an eternity band without the extra cost. 

Kar: good points about platinum!  I was talking to a jeweler about the different metals recently.  My e-ring is 18K gold, which is also kind of soft, so it scratches pretty easily.  I am a little sad about that, but when I was at Jared's looking at bands, they polished it for me for free and now it looks good as new!  I guess I'll just have to do that occasionally.  We are opting for 14K gold for our bands, which is a little harder and will hopefully wear a little better.

The jeweler mentioned that the downside to white gold is that it will yellow over time (since it is really yellow gold plated with rhodium to make it white!).  The rhodium wears off and then the yellow gold underneath shows through, so you have to have it replated by a jeweler.  I think it only costs $25 - $50, but if you have to do that every 2-3 years, that can add up.  Liz: I wonder if it will be hard to replate your eternity band because of all the stones?  You might want to ask the jeweler about it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Friar, yes, you can get your ring cleaned for free anywhere.  I like to do it where they have the steam cleaner out front, but really the fact is they can't swap out a diamond in 5 minutes so it doesn't matter.  I've had mine cleaned at Tiffany's, and theirs is in the back.  Stores don't mind, in fact, they do it free on purpose to get you to browse while they clean your rings.  The only reason you might go back to NH is if your ring came with an annual inspection/maintenance plan you paid for.

trex, good choice to go with the 14k for the wedding band.  There isn't enough gold showing in your wedding band to stand out as lighter colored gold than your e-ring and it will be more durable.  I'm guessing that over the years you won't mind that the 18k scratches; it will lok less like "scratches" and more like brushed gold as the scratches add up.

P.S.  About the yellowing of white gold.  Yes, it does, technically, but that's also a chosen look for a lot of women.  It is a signature look for white gold.  Anyone with a rhodium plated white gold ring MIGHT want to have it replated if the ultra white look is what they want, but they might also enjoy the special old fashioned look of the white gold in its natural state.  I have a ring my mom got when she was 18 in white gold, and it's not as white as my platinum, but it isn't "yellowed" either.  If I had white gold I'd keep it natural, personally.  However, that being said, I have to keep my white gold earrings plated because I have an allergy to the metals in the gold alloy, and the rhodium protects my ears from getting infected.

P.S.S.  The jeweler misworded what white gold really is, Trex, fyi.  White gold is NOT yellow gold plated with rhodium.  It is a special alloy (usually palladium since so many people have a nickel allergy) that includes the same amount of gold as yellow 14k or 18k gold and IS whitish and then plated with rhodium.  It doesn't have to be plated with rhodium to be "white."  It has to be plated to be SUPER duper shiney white.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Hmm, I never thought about it. I will make sure to be super duper careful with my wedding band.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, it's not too late to consider getting a semi-eternity even though I know you LOVE what you have and already have an emotional commitment to it.  A lifetime of being super duper careful could be a real pain, you know, and a semi-eternity looks almost the same while you're wearing it.

wendy, you must have posted while I was posting - what an unusual set, I love it.  The center being a saphire is really pretty, what a nice color saphire, too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Yes, I was worried about the difference between 18k and 14k being noticeable, but it really isn't!  That's good!

And yes, you are right about the look of white gold as it ages, as long as you know about it when you buy the ring!  Like platinum, you just have to make sure you know that the look may change over time so you won't be disappointed!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Trex, I added a bit to the white gold portion of my last post.  It really is whitish underneath the rhodium plating; it's not a yellow ring plated with something white so when the rhodium wears off it's not nearly obvious as it would be if it were yellow gold underneath.

YES, ultimate happiness all about proper expectations.  That's why I'm being so prolific about the metals and styles with their pros and cons.  I like people to know up front what to expect when I can.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I read this post yesterday but then forgot to take a pic last night of my rings!  :)

All of your rings are so gorgeous, and so different!  I love hearing the stories and seeing the differences in tastes. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Can anyone realistically be "more careful" about using the inside of her hands? When you choose a ring KNOW that the inside will wear very hard and no metal or setting is immune to this fact.  This went into my decision to get the plain wedding band...not that that's the only "right" thing to do, but wear should be a huge factor in your decision, IMO, just as much as the aesthetic nature of the set.

P.S.  I love the saphire/diamond combo, too - it's my favorite non-diamond gem.

P.S.S.  cici, the good news about not being able to be more careful is that the inside of your ring is as discolored as it's going to get.  The rhodium is worn off and what you're seeing is the whitish/yellowish gold-palladium-(nickel?) alloy underneath, and that's solid all the way through.  If you cut it in half it would be the same color on on the inside as it is on the outside where the rhodium is worn off.  I'd not worry another bit about it if I were you, and I definitely wouldn't get it replated.  It will just wear off again, and who's going to examine or even notice the color of the inside of your ring?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Peonie - I saw from the other post that you're considering a princess cut ring.  I wanted to let you know that I love my ring and haven't had any issues so far with it catching on anything.  I've had it just under a year and so far so good!  My fiance did a great job with picking it out and even though I was there he actually picked out my wedding band too.  He knows me too well!  I hope you get your ring soon so you can add to this post. Good luck!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Kar, I talked to my FI on the phone for 45 minutes this morning, no joke. We are both at work, and had this long conversation about my ring!

Peonie, THANK YOU for starting this thread. Everyone is giving good advice about rings. We have both decided to switch to this ring:

http://www.bluenile.com/sapphire-diamond-ring_5769

I (and my FI) feel it will be more practical and more safe on my finger for life. Blue Nile was UNBELIEVABLE to my FI with the return policy. He said their customer service was stellar and he recommends them to anyone. He said the women on the other line was nothing but understanding and didn't ONCE try to convince him to keep the other ring. Incredible.

Thank you for your advice, Kar. I am happy with the decision we made :)

I LOVE all of these rings! Smile

P.S. LOOK AT THAT PRICE!! Awesome, right!?