Show off your rings??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: Show off your rings??

Okay, I only have my phone's built in camera right now and it's not so great, but here are my rings.
    The e-ring is yellow gold with white gold accents. The band is sterling silver and yellow gold:

My e-ring has an unusual setting, so here it is from the side (Max is a better ring model than I am):

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Pink, very unique! Love it :)

I love the rope look to your wedding band...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, I am actually choked up to know you talked it over with your fiance and actually made a choice you are both happier with.  YAY on the price, too!!!!

Oh, pinkie - so beautiful and very unique.  I've wanted to see a picture since you described it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Who knew I would have so many thoughts on this thread :o)

1) Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe one of the differences between gold and platinum is that although they both get scratched, the platinum metal is only displaced when it gets scratched... Meaning the metal hasn't actually been scraped off the band, just moved, whereas the gold is actually scratched off.  Make sense?  I'm sure there is a scientific term for the kind of metal.

2) I have a white gold band and was thinking of posting about its turning yellow.  But it's ONLY on the inside of the band, so it really doesn't bother me.  Eventually I'll have it redipped... like in 5 years.

3) I have nothing against eternity bands, but there are definitely bands that look like eternity but are not and are thus much cheaper.  People ask me all the time if mine is eternity... Nope, just had a regular band sized to my small-ish fingers ;o)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

thank you, ladies! although my rings look so simple compared to your sparklers. I prefer solitaires, and any rings I've ever had with stone in them always get incredibly dirty, so no stones in a band for me. I have simple tastes in jewelery.
    The band is David Yurman. Although I love mine, I wouldn't recommend the brand fro men's bands. DH had a Yurman band as well, but the rope insets in his band popped out and couldn't be repaired. We ended up having a knockoff custom made at a jeweler's in Downtown Crossing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

White gold can also get a blackish cast to it if it comes in contact with bleach or chlorine. I didn't know this and the white gold part under the lifted arch of my ring has that cast to it. I have to bring it somewhere to get buffed out, Bailey Banks & Biddle is closed now, so I have to find a Zales. I'm glad the whole ring wasn't white gold, or the whole thing would look black!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fram, you are 100% correct on all points.  Platinum is easier to pass down forever because it doesn't get thin in the back from wearing away like metals that do scratch off like gold (white or yellow).  This is not a problem with gold for the first generation but the second and third might notice the back of the ring is getting thin depending on how thick it was to start with.

Pinkie - your set is no shrinking violet.  It's awesome!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Kar thanks for the comment on the color of the sapphire I just love it, my DH did very well by me.  He had some input in terms of what I liked but it was still pretty general,  I told him I prefer a silver color metal but no preference on the metal itself.  I said I wanted a sapphire (I was kind of expecting a solitaire even though I said it was ok if it was a three stone as long as the sapphire was the main stone.) and other than ruling out an emerald cut that was the extent of my input.

The sapphire means fidelity and  I liked that a lot.  Plus way back in the day it was much more common and traditional to give gemstones (if a ring was given) rather than a diamond.  Each stone has a meaning.  The only bummer was when we showed the ring off there were a few comments from his family, slightly agahst asking did I want a sapphire.  I assured them I did and he did an amazing job picking it out and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Pink- your rings are very distinctive and very pretty.  Even though I don't know you except for your posts, they seem like you.  I think I would have been surprised if you had a huge sparkly ring set, it would have seemed out of character.  I like seeing how weddings are tailored to the couple and rings are one of the lasting parts of the actual ceremony and celebration that can really be distinctive to the couple.   I hope you understand that this is a complement, I am a bit out of sorts today with a headache so I am not sure if I am articulating myself well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cool post, wendy, thanks.  Now that you mention it, I remember my grandmother's engagement ring was an emerald.  I wonder who got that...

And, I'm sure pinkkittie took that well - it was nice and exactly what I thought about her set, too.  It really seems to me to reflect the person she's shown us here beautifully, as well.  How can that be anything but a compliment - she's a much beloved member! :)

P.S.  Pinkie, you solved a 25 year old mystery for me!!  My 6th grade science teacher went bizerk one day having gotten something on her wedding set that turned it a color.  I didn't see it and had no idea what precious metal could react to anything she could have touched, but she ran out of the room to call her husband as she exclaimed in a tearful panic.  I never knew that bleach could do that, so I'm assuming white gold and bleach is a darned good guess as to what happened.  I have literally always wondered even all these years later what on earth could have damaged her wedding rings.  I assume she got them buffed and all was well because she never mentioned it again and I don't remember her rings being black!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I LOVE gemstones. If I had a choice, I would have chosen a diamond center stone with sapphire side stones, but my wedding band is perfect, I know get the best of both worlds.

Wendy, I can't see your ring, my work blocks that site :( for my parent's 30th, YES 30 years, can you believe it....my dad got my mother an incredibly gorgeous Emerald ring with two pear cut diamonds as the side stones. She is 100% Irish and the emerald stones really represent her heritage. I'm not a huge fan of emeralds but this ring is stunning. I love sapphires (can you tell?) and garnets, I think the deep red is beautiful.

I could actually use your help, I want to get my girls a gemstone for their wedding gift. I don't know if I should get them earrings or a necklace. I am also having a hard time deciding on what stone. I was looking on BN and am having a hard time deciding what would go with deep chocolate dresses (the color of their BM dresses) Maybe a garnet stone?

Any suggestions?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Is chlorine bad for white gold and platinum? Should you not wear rings in the pool?? I should really learn this before we go on our HM!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Liz - garnets would be pretty with brown, and so would blue topaz or peridot (green).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Hmm, blue topaz would be! I am really weird, and hate the color green. My FI makes fun of me all the time for that! I should look at the topaz's though.

They are carrying circus roses and mango calla lillies, though, so that might not go. Hmm....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Liz - What about aquamarine?  It's definitely a gemstone that they could wear again and again!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Welllll, I've been looking at prices, and I'm thinking it may be a little too pricey with 4 girls!

I hate my birth stone! I wish I was born in September, so I could be a sapphire!

Why I didn't pick dark blue BM dresses, I will never know, haha!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ooh, those bouquets are going to be gorgeous! I love circus roses.  Garnets might be the perfect choice!  There are yellow/orangish topaz that might work too...

ETA:  Oops!  I posted too late - the other girls beat me to it!  Citrine is a great idea, too!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've never known anyone to have a problem wearing their rings in the pool except for a possible loss.  I've worn both white gold (non-plated) and platinum in the pool and they were OK.

I agree that garnet would look spectacular with brown.  I'd go for earrings myself if you know all the girls have pierced ears and would get white gold settings so that if any of them have any metal allergies they can wear them without getting all itchy.  Yellow gold alloys irritate my ears (whatever they mix with the gold, not the gold itself), but the rhodium on white gold takes care of that problem.

I've noticed that gemstone pendants often do not sit right, turning downward or whatever.  The length is always a cr_p shoot, too.  Earrings are a sure bet to look and sit right.

P.S.  Oops, missed the price problem, Liz.  Sorry!  You know, I wanted to get my MOH garnets because it's her birthstone and she was wearing a red dress, too, but they were too expensive for me, too.  I went with freshwater pearls, as you remember, but that's why.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Liz November's birthstone is the traditional yellow/brown topaz (It is my birth stone). And the site if Flickr so I am not surprised your work blocks it.  I hate when that happens! :)

I vote for earrings over a pendant any day of any stone or even a metal earing.  I hardly wear necklaces at all, my wedding day was an exception, probably because I needed something around my neck and because I made it myself.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Cici, never thought to look at Macys! Kar, I am going to keep looking, the pearls are a fantastic idea, but my MOH is obsessed with them and I swear has a million jewelery items that are pearl! I think I am going to go with garnet.

Wendy I just got home and saw your ring, GORGEOUS!!!!!!! My gosh, am I obsessed with sapphire, or what. I asked my FI to get me a diamond and sapphire bracelet for a wedding gift (I know, I know....a big stretch, and I am in no way expecting it) but I really want to wear it for my "something blue." I don't own any nice jewelry except my e-ring and a pair a 18k white hoop earrings he got me when we were dating, so I thought I would ask him for it, hehe!

Also, it is good to know about the ring in the pool situation.

Poppy, yes I am very excited about the girl's bouquets...I love the look of circus roses. I would have never thought of it myself, that was all my genius florist!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I looked everywhere for an affordable set of garnet; I hope you have better luck!  Citrine would be pretty, too, I agree with the others.  Not sure if that gem is cheaper than garnet or not, but, if so, a good backup plan.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hey Guys!  Oh, work has gotten busy and I'm missing all the fun! 

Pink:  my e-ring is the same setting as yours, except 6 prong for the stone.  I *LOVE* it!  So pretty!  FI called it a cathedral setting and he got it because I wanted a solitaire but was worried about it catching on things.  With the bands that come up on the sides, it is less of a problem.  He's so smart!  :)

Liz:  I'd go earrings over necklace too and I love garnets!  I actually saw some nice stuff at Belden's at the mall with decent prices.  Actually, right before FI proposed, I was about to buy an emerald ring for myself (because I've never actually bought myself jewelry, it has all either been a gift from FI or my mom).  Well, FI talked me out of it!  Little did I know it was because he had already bought me a new ring to wear, my e-ring!  Hahah!

Also, that's great about your wedding band!  I love the ring you picked!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I have total ring envy right now. I love them all. Pink, does David Yurman carry engagement rings?? Funny story about his line. I got a DY bracelet from my mom's best friend for high school graduation, but I had never heard of him, so it wasn't really a big deal to me. Well, junior year of college, I whipped it out and put it on one night before me and my friends were about to head out, and my best friend flipped out. She is totally obsessed with him. I was like "Why are you going so crazy over my bracelet??" She then explained to me that it was a DY one, and who he was, and how much it was worth and I was like "whaaaaa??" Sorry, way off topic....

Kar, you are very knowledgeable in rings :) I want a platinum, and not because of status or cost, but because like yourself, I like the grayish and worn look to it.
    Liz, I love sapphires, too! Blue is my all time favorite color. I have never wanted my wedding colors to be anything other than a midnight blue. So funny!

This is a fun thread, I am glad you guys aren't shy to show off your gorgeous bling!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In "real life" I'm a little more shy, I swear!  But, I have to admit I do enjoy it when people notice and comment.  I am left handed so whenever I sign anything it's right out there.

Peonie, you'll be joining the thread with a photo by Valentine's Day, I'm guessing and hoping!!!

P.S.  Liz, I hope you get your bracelet!!!  What a "something blue" that would be!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

Liz, I got a Macy's circular today advertising garnet and diamond earrings or pendants for $79 each. Obviously, I have no idea what they look like in person but I bet as Valentine's Day approaches, there will be more out there.  I ended up getting my BMs silver mongrammed bracelets but looked for necklaces and earrings on Etsy and there were some gemstone ones for good prices.  May be worth looking there and using the Alchemy feature if you don't see what you're looking for.

On the OP, my ring is a round 6-prong solitaire set in platinum.  I'm getting a 7 shared prong diamond band (looks like eternity but no diamonds on the bottom for the reasons others mentioned).  Someone with a similar e-ring asked how it looks.  I love it.  The only thing is I had it made because my band is thin and "domed" (curved) but most of the ones I saw in stores were flatter, like Kar's.  I didn't think it was any more to just have it made.  I get to see it next week - I've only seen the wax and loose diamonds so far - and am very excited.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, Gonzo, they sound stunning - can't wait 'til you get them and you can post the photos.  Until then, we'll enjoy imagining them with you!