Something Special

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

Re: Something Special

Good idea clc! DH was raised Jewish and I was raised Catholic so we decided to have a more "spiritual" ceremony than a religious one and it ended up being much more special than we ever thought it would. We had people coming up to us all night (and still do to this day) that said we had the best ceremony they had ever seen.  We did little things to honor both the Jewish and Catholic sides so they felt included, but also some fun things that were very us, like having one of the readings be "Oh the places you'll go" by Dr. Seuss, adding a celtic hand tying ceremony and walking down the aisle to Jason Marz "I'm Yours" instead of more traditional music. We also had a great JP (Robin Zucker) who met with us several times before the ceremony for marriage counseling and was able to use her knowledge about us as a couple from those sessions to really personalize the ceremony.

We also used some old family wedding photos (parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc.) to decorate a boring hallway that was between the elevator and the ballroom where people would be standing for a few minutes waiting to hang their coats.  A lot of people ended up going back later in the night to take a second look at the photos and started telling stories about the people in the photos that are no longer with us which was fun an unexpected.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I surprised DH with having a horse and carriage transport me and the wedding party to the church and the two of us after the ceremony to the reception.  It is one of our fondest memories of the whole day - just the two of us in the carriage getting a quiet, personal tour of the Wayside Inn grounds before they dropped us off at the reception.  He was so surprised and excited about it, and it was a much needed, very romantic breather between the ceremony and greeting all our guests by kicking off the party.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Great idea CLC! 

For us, I think writing our own ceremony was the detail I was most proud of.  It was extremely personal, including many details about our relationship.  We also wrote our own vows.  Our ceremony was extremely special to me.

To future brides, if you are thinking about writing your own ceremony, this is the book we used.  It was INVALUABLE for us.  We wrote about 50% of our ceremony from scratch and the rest was passages pulled from this book.

The Wedding Ceremony Planner, by Judith Johnson

www.amazon.com/Wedding-Ceremony-Planner-Essential-Important/dp/1402203438/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294871697&sr=8-1" target="_blank">

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Great idea, CLC!  

Love what y'all have shared.  Very sweet touches.  

DH and I wrote our own ceremony, too - well, most of it, anyway: we ran out of time at the end - hello, procrastination! - and our JP filled in the holes with with a prayer, a little chant, etc.  That was incredibly meaningful for us.  We also made little jar lanterns that lined the path from the chapel to the reception venue, and because the sun set just after everyone went inside, it was a striking surprise at the end of the ceremony.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Actually, I have another one - the premarital counseling.  It was really tough and covered EVERYTHING.  Our pastor had us use Preparing for Marriage workbooks (he had the pastor's copy), and it was invaluable.  We've been married just over 2 years, and I have to say that it DID prepare us very well.  And, given that the marriage is what it's all about, it was very special.  And, by the way, my brother was the pastor who married us, so it was extra special that he got to know us (mostly him) in that very detailed way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Oooh, fun!

We also wrote our own ceremony and chose less traditional music. I walked down to an instrumental verson of "Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve; my bridesmaids walked to Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours"; the recessional was "Hold My Hand" by Hootie and the Blowfish.

Our mutual friend who introduced DH and me is a sick musician and he also played during the ceremony.

The personal touches made it feel very "us."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

I made my cake toppers and by made I mean I painted them. I made bride and groom penguins.

Our first dance was a ballad by a more rock type band (Staind). It wasn't a traditional song to choose but everyone said it was very us.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

We wrote our ceremony ourselves - most of it was me and DH and the rest of it was his sister who performed the ceremony.  All of our guests said it was the most personal ceremony they've ever attended.  It was really beautiful.

Our processional was an instrumental version of "In My Life" by the Beatles.  We had all of our family process in - not just the wedding party.  It was really cool.

Our recessional was the actual version of "All You Need Is Love" by the Beatles.  Got the crowd on its feet, clapping and singing along.

Our first dance was "You and Me" by the Dave Matthews Band.  My favorite band ever - and DH picked the song.  ;-)

We too did a parents dance, to avoid the awkwardness of three sets of parents.  We chose "Kind and Generous" by Natalie Merchant.  We circulated through and danced with each couple.  We ended with DH dancing with his dad and me dancing with his stepmom.  It was too cute.

Everything about our wedding was very personal and special.  It was an amazing day.  :-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I thought of another one...

My grandfather passed away several years ago, in order to have a part of him with me, I attached his purple heart medal to my bouquet as my "Something Old." My grandmother, who had loaned the medal to me for the day, thought that I would be hidden in my bouquet.  Instead it was attached right on the ribbon, front and center. She was pleasantly surprised when the doors opened for me to walk down the aisle and there it was for all to see (as you can see in my avatar).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

We had a swing band and did a fast song for our first song.  It started things off on a happy, upbeat note.  We made sure we had fun, which I've found, leads to everyone else having fun. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from simon08. Show simon08's posts

I also walked down the aisle to the instrumental Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve!  the wedding party walked in to Bolero and at the end of the ceremony we had I'm A Believer by Smashmouth which was the biggest hit - someone actully wrote the lyrics and framed them for a gift aftewards!  Using some untraditional music was a big hit - the cocktail hour was all doo-wop and the biggest hit was the father/daughter dance was to Good Golly Miss Molly which is a favorite in our family! 

The wedding was in October in Salem so we had "touches" of Halloween and the biggest hit was I had some "props" i.e. bad teeth, green glitter wig, witch hat, etc. that people just had a total blast with!  the photos are awesome!

There are so many things that you could do to make the day that much more special but some of the little things are what matters most!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

CLC, love the purple heart story.  My daughter is planning on pinning a picture of her father (deceased) on the inside of her wedding dress so he can dance with her at her wedding.  I am choking up thinking about it. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Not to confuse anyone, she is not engaged, just something she wants to do when she does get married.

Sections
Shortcuts