Tanning beds as dangerous as arsenic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Tanning beds as dangerous as arsenic

So most of you know I'm an anti-tanning advocate. I know a lot of women hit tanning booths and beds before their wedding to acheive the so-called "healthy glow."
    It's not healthy at all, it causes cancer.
    http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2009/07/29/cancer_study_shows_tanning_beds_as_deadly_as_arsenic/?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed1

Excerpt:
    "A new analysis of about 20 studies concludes the risk of skin cancer jumps by 75 percent when people start using tanning beds before age 30. Experts also found that all types of ultraviolet radiation caused worrying mutations in mice, proof the radiation is carcinogenic. Previously, only one type of ultraviolet radiation was thought to be lethal.

The new classification means tanning beds and ultraviolet radiation are definite causes of cancer, alongside tobacco, the hepatitis B virus, and chimney sweeping, among others."

Stay healthy ladies! The only healthy tan is the kind from a tube or a spray!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Tanning beds as dangerous as arsenic

Good advice!! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

I saw that too and it's very scary!  I can't believe people still go with all that we know about them.  Maybe this new research will have people rethinking a few minutes in the tanning booth. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Both the results and the feeling you get after tanning in the bed are addictive. Which is why it's so dangerous that teenagers are legally allowed to tan. If they get hooked at that age- as with cigarettes or booze- the consequences are just awful.

In Response to Re: Tanning beds as dangerous as arsenic:
    [QUOTE]I saw that too and it's very scary!  I can't believe people still go with all that we know about them.  Maybe this new research will have people rethinking a few minutes in the tanning booth. 
    Posted by bostonslp[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I think most people know the effects of tanning beds, and how harmful they are.  They might just think that "It won't happen to me".  Ignorance is bliss, right?

It's a shame.  I love my sunless tanner... works great.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I was JUST going to post this! Good job, Pink! :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Ohh, I hate tanning! What's the point? I'm pasty white and proud of it...people at work keep asking me why I haven't gone tanning and I tell them that I don't want cancer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I thought of you when I read this article, Pink.  Don't worry, I already promised myself I would never go again after the wedding!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]Ohh, I hate tanning! What's the point? I'm pasty white and proud of it...people at work keep asking me why I haven't gone tanning and I tell them that I don't want cancer.
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE]

Sealed  I was literally just about to type this, word for word.  I will not go out in the sun unless I'm wearing at least SPF 70.  The last time I somehow magically was able to get a tan, I just thought I looked really weird.  I am not a chameleon.  Sometimes, I turn a slightly darker shade of white, but that's about it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I've always been afraid that they would bake your insides, in addition to cancer. 

My mom started going last year and it made me mad.  She has dark skin anyway, but she got so dark people started asking me why I was so pale, having a bi-racial mom and all.  She worshipped the sun when she was younger (and never wore sunblock) and she is lucky she never got skin cancer.  I told her to stop, that she can't afford to ruin her skin and risk cancer at her age.  She kept going, so I told her when I got engaged she couldn't be in any of the pictures if she was still tanning.  It worked - anything to get her to stop. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RosKer. Show RosKer's posts

does anyone have a sunless tanner to recommend?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

My best friend used to go a lot. She's stopped now, and I hope she never develops cancer from it. My grandmother died from complications from skin cancer. My uncle has it now. My aunt's dermatologist sees her every six months to check her for signs. It's scary, and I'm hoping that because of the startling nature of the headlines linked to this research wakes some people up.

Sunless tanners:
    I like the gradual ones the best as there's less room for error (streaks and splotchy-ness) Jergen's Daily glow works well for me.
    For instant tanning I like L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Towelettes, ModelCo Tan in a Can Translucent Formula, I hear good things about Sevin Nyne, and Lancome's mousse is also good.
    TanFusion is awful, and Mystic Tan'd DIY kit can be really streaky if you're not a tanat home pro.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Not only do I stay far away from tanning beds, but I wear lotion with SPF in it every day just for going outside. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Jeez Pink - fighting quite a battle in the comments section of that article.  So many ignorant comments, and that bostonalex is obnoxious.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

He's clearly a troll. I just get really irritated when someone says that something that my grandmother died because of isn't really a risk people should worry about. It makes me want to vomit.

[QUOTE]Jeez Pink - fighting quite a battle in the comments section of that article.  So many ignorant comments, and that bostonalex is obnoxious.
    Posted by dkb6248[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

[QUOTE]I've always been afraid that they would bake your insides, in addition to cancer.  My mom started going last year and it made me mad.  She has dark skin anyway, but she got so dark people started asking me why I was so pale, having a bi-racial mom and all.  She worshipped the sun when she was younger (and never wore sunblock) and she is lucky she never got skin cancer.  I told her to stop, that she can't afford to ruin her skin and risk cancer at her age.  She kept going, so I told her when I got engaged she couldn't be in any of the pictures if she was still tanning.  It worked - anything to get her to stop. 
    Posted by dkb6248[/QUOTE]

My mother was the same way when she was growing up. Her and her girlfriends would bring a PILLOW and a towel along with baby oil to the beach, oil up and FALL ASLEEP for like 6 hours in the sun. She said it was what everyone did in the 60's and 70's that "no one" knew how bad the sun was. She has really blotchy skin on her back now and has had to have laser treatment on her face. She regrets it big time. I am very freckly on my face, and am starting to see signs of sun damage on my face, i.e. sun blotches and darker freckles, but my dermatologist says nothing to worry about for now. But I wear spf 30 on my face every day, even in the winter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

It's good to hear you ladies make an effort and use SPF daily. I think a lot of people underestimate the amount of time they're exposed to the sun. Like how if you're on the water or when it snows in winter the sun is actually more harmful because the rays are reflected by the water or snow. People tell you you need 15 minutes, but seeing as though most people drive to work and back, that's you 15 right there! Sun damage on the face is most commonly on your driver's side, unless you typically sit passenger. i have some slight damage ont eh side of my face from driving so much as a teen and in my early 20's with no block on because I thought "I'm in a car, I don't have to worry about the sun."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Pink, I have two big blotches on my cheeks. They are sort of a cluster of freckles that become one big one. I hate it! My boyfriend says no one can notice, but I can, and my mom can, because she has the same thing. I have my doc check them once a year, and so far everything looks ok. I swear, I go out in the sun for just 30 minutes and my freckles get darker, it's crazy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]It's good to hear you ladies make an effort and use SPF daily. I think a lot of people underestimate the amount of time they're exposed to the sun. Like how if you're on the water or when it snows in winter the sun is actually more harmful because the rays are reflected by the water or snow. People tell you you need 15 minutes, but seeing as though most people drive to work and back, that's you 15 right there! Sun damage on the face is most commonly on your driver's side, unless you typically sit passenger. i have some slight damage ont eh side of my face from driving so much as a teen and in my early 20's with no block on because I thought "I'm in a car, I don't have to worry about the sun."
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

I've actually gotten sunburned while driving.  Now, I wear a tinted moisturizer with SPF 15 anytime I'm going outside.

People also think they're protected by clouds - they aren't.  My best friend got one of the worst sunburns I've ever seen because she thought that you couldn't get a sunburn on a cloudy day, and I thought she was smart enough to wear sunblock despite the fact that there were clouds everywhere.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Any moisturizer with soy or shitake mushroom in it should help clear blotches, Caudelie is also great for treating sun damage and it's natural.

[QUOTE]Pink, I have two big blotches on my cheeks. They are sort of a cluster of freckles that become one big one. I hate it! My boyfriend says no one can notice, but I can, and my mom can, because she has the same thing. I have my doc check them once a year, and so far everything looks ok. I swear, I go out in the sun for just 30 minutes and my freckles get darker, it's crazy.
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I wish more people heard stories like these, it really puts it all in perspective.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tanning beds as dangerous as arsenic : I've actually gotten sunburned while driving.  Now, I wear a tinted moisturizer with SPF 15 anytime I'm going outside. People also think they're protected by clouds - they aren't.  My best friend got one of the worst sunburns I've ever seen because she thought that you couldn't get a sunburn on a cloudy day, and I thought she was smart enough to wear sunblock despite the fact that there were clouds everywhere.
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Yup, I'm another one of those sixties' teenagers who baked at the beach with baby oil and iodine!  It's true, no one knew anything about the dangers of sun exposure. 

I get an annual check at the dermatologist and have had 2 pre-cancers zapped from my face so far.  I still love the beach but I'm a little smarter now!

Remember that most experts recommend that you don't use a moisturizer/sunscreen combo -- you should use a separate one of each.  (You won't use enough of the combo product to get a good sunscreen protection.)

You'll still get a nice tan in the summer even if you use a good sunscreen, if you want to. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

[QUOTE]Yup, I'm another one of those sixties' teenagers who baked at the beach with baby oil and iodine!  It's true, no one knew anything about the dangers of sun exposure.  I get an annual check at the dermatologist and have had 2 pre-cancers zapped from my face so far.  I still love the beach but I'm a little smarter now! Remember that most experts recommend that you don't use a moisturizer/sunscreen combo -- you should use a separate one of each.  (You won't use enough of the combo product to get a good sunscreen protection.) You'll still get a nice tan in the summer even if you use a good sunscreen, if you want to. 
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]

Cosmo, didn't your skin just kill? I mean when I get a burn wearing sunblock I am in misery, I can't imagine having a burn without the use of an spf. My mother has shown me pictures of herself when she used to live in Hawaii, and she would lay out for hours, and her skin looks so red, like you could peel it off!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

The ozone isn't what it used to be.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I love how the advertisements on the bottom of this page are all about tanning beds, and airbrush tanning websites.  I think they configure the ads to what we're talking about.  Perhaps?

Sections
Shortcuts