The Best Advice

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

The Best Advice

I just read some great wedding advice over at OBB, and since it's slow, I thought I'd post them here and give all you recently married ladies a chance to share any advice you have, or that you got!

• "Everybody wants to tell you how to get married and raise your kids. Ignore them, but smile while you're doing it."

• "Weddings are never just for the bride and groom. Your wedding will be your first family reunion — of both blood and chosen family and friends. It is a celebration for the village that has raised you both to successful adulthood. We're proud of you and love you."
    • "You don't have to do something just because 'that's the way it's done.' If you do what you want to do sincerely, it will be 'the way it's done by you.'"
    • "People will always think that a happy bride is beautiful — that's because all happy brides are beautiful. Don't try to make yourself into a magazine cover. Just focus on what makes you happy."
    • "Make sure that the people who help you know how much you appreciate their help."
    • "Don't tell people the details and they won't give you grief about them."
    • "Nobody will remember if the napkins match or how many bridesmaids you have. People will remember if you take the time to thank them for coming. People will also remember if the cake is good. That's just as important."

My advice is "Don't worry that it won't be perfect because it can't be perfect. Nothing is perfect. Just make sure it's good enough and no one will notice the rest."

What's yours??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: The Best Advice

Love that list, Pink!  My favorite is that details you keep to yourself can't be argued about.  It's a good one for life; it's not always a good idea to spill everything you know just because you're asked "How's it going?"

My advice is to try not to control every little detail.  I told my florist the items I wanted (1 bridal bouquet, 1 MOH bouquet, 5 corsages, 7 bouts, unity candle arrangement, etc.), gave her a swatch of my dress, and the formality of the wedding and left everything else up to her.  Flower varieties, colors, everything.  I didn't think about it again, and my flowers were a complete surprise on my wedding day...and perfect.  Because flowers are perfect to me, anything would have been.  It's not like it was a miracle that they were "perfect."  Not everyone would enjoy not choosing or being more involved with their flowers, but my point is simply to trust your vendors to do a good job and try not to micromanage them.  Not only might you be borrowing stress to insist on every little detail being something in particular, but you might end up with less than their best because you inadvertantly tie their hands.  Hire people whose work you like and let them do their thing.  You'll be less stressed (if you can truly let go), less burdened by details, and happy on your wedding day IF you are flexible.

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NH-Sox-Fan. Show NH-Sox-Fan's posts

I would add that almost everything that stresses you out before your wedding will become just a funny story sometime between your honeymoon and your first anniversary.  So just take a deep breath when something (someone) is making you crazy and soon you will be saying "Remember at our wedding when . . . ."  (For me, it's remember when the owner of our reception site filed for bankruptcy a month before our wedding and we had to find another place, despite what the invitations said?!)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: The Best Advice:
    [QUOTE]I would add that almost everything that stresses you out before your wedding will become just a funny story sometime between your honeymoon and your first anniversary.  So just take a deep breath when something (someone) is making you crazy and soon you will be saying "Remember at our wedding when . . . ."  (For me, it's remember when the owner of our reception site filed for bankruptcy a month before our wedding and we had to find another place, despite what the invitations said?!)
    Posted by NH-Sox-Fan[/QUOTE]

this is so true! I was just at a wedding this weekend and laughed while telling the story of it raining cats and dogs the day before my wedding, so much so that I was stuck in traffic and missed my rehearsal and was late for the rehearsal dinner! I was furious at the time and thought it was the end of the world, but now I think it's just funny because it all turned out just fine.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, if you are married by the end of the day, that's all that realllly matters.  Keeping that in mind kept me sane, too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I have an advice for mothers and mothers in laws. Stay out of the details, the young people know a lot better what is in and what is out these days. Don't insist that they do their wedding as you did yours. Give them advice, if they ask for it. If they don't, keep mum. Give them a budget, if you plan to pay for the wedding or  part of it. And keep smiling, even if you think their ideas are "way out". They are supposedly grown up people and ready to start a new life of their own. One learn by mistakes made. It is a wedding, not a showcase performance.