The Wedding Rip-Off

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: The Wedding Rip-Off

In Response to Re: The Wedding Rip-Off:
    In Response to Re: The Wedding Rip-Off : Last year my husband paid $3 for a CAN of coke at a wedding.  I am not joking - an actual can was handed to him.  Let's just say the wedding was a bit different from what we are used to...
    Posted by framerican51008

OMG!  I'd have handed the can back and asked for a glass of tap water!  That's insane.  If you are this strapped for cash that  you can't even provide soft drinks to your guests, then maybe you shouldn't be having a big wedding.  I'd rather be told ahead of time that I am going to have to pay for any drink that I consume so that I can either stock the car w/ soda or slip a flask in my purse.  lol. Not really, but if I were going to have to shell out for non-alcoholic drinks at a wedding, I'd def. want to know ahead of time.  Egads!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

You know, Alf, it's sad, but if I were told in advance I would have to pay for non-alcoholic drinks at a wedding, I would probably throw a couple of bottles of water into my purse.  Or I'd spend a lot of time at the water fountain.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'd show up with a cooler ;) or maybe one of these:

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I'd probably bring a tote too, lucy.  lol.  I don't think I could quite rock Pinkkitty's hat.  That thing is awesome!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I just remembered a comment on the original article that annoyed me.  Basically the poster said something like, "Haven't people ever heard of halls with catering?  We only spent $85 per person."  It sounded like he/she was talking about an Elks lodge or something along this lines... which is fine... and spending $85 per person is fine... but it ain't exactly a steal people!!!  I think I spent around that and I had my wedding at a country club.  Sometimes I think people don't do any research.  A friend keeps talking about this one venue and I think she assumes it is cheaper than others.  You have to at least contact the others to find out!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Honestly, $85/person sounds like a lot to me.  Sure, I've never rented a hall or thrown a formal event, so maybe I'm missing some perspective. But "only $85 per person" seems off.  Like "only" applies that it's a huge steal, where I feel like it's more in the middle of a reasonable range.

But, again, I have no real frame of reference.  I only know what my parents spent for my sisters' weddings in the early 90s, and, both times, they got the hall for free (my mom worked at the church).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

You do have to do your research. We are having our wedding at a very affluent private country club, and it is cheaper than lets say, the Westin in Waltham. We were shocked.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Also, in the interests of full disclosure, I pulled out the calculator and I said, "Ok... $85 per person times, what?  200 people?  That's.... $17,000."

I don't really see myself inviting 200 people.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Lucy, bite your tongue! I thought I was going to have around 120 people, then I got the guest lists from my parents and FI's parents, and yeah...we are inviting 190.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Ugh.  More and more, I'm liking the idea of 10 people, City Hall, and S&S Brunch to follow.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

S&S?? Stop and Shop??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

S&S?? Stop and Shop??
    Posted by Peonie

S&S Restaurant, in Cambridge.  It's delicious.  I would eat there every day if I had lots of money to waste on breakfast, an extra two hours in the morning, and a super-fast metabolism.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Also, in the interests of full disclosure, I pulled out the calculator and I said, "Ok... $85 per person times, what?  200 people?  That's.... $17,000." I don't really see myself inviting 200 people.
    Posted by lucy7368

This reminds me of the remake of Father of the Bride where Anne and Mrs. Banks promised not to make the wedding too big or too grand and the first quote for the wedding was $250 pp and they had over 500 people invited. Can't even imagine that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Ugh.  More and more, I'm liking the idea of 10 people, City Hall, and S&S Brunch to follow.
    Posted by lucy7368

S&S is awesome.  Can I come and bring eveyone I know?  :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: The Wedding Rip-Off : S&S is awesome.  Can I come and bring eveyone I know?  :)
    Posted by Winter2011Bride

Sure!  The more, the merrier! 

NL:  I don't even know 500 people.  I only have 204 Facebook friends, and I wouldn't invite most of them to my wedding. But, if I'm spending $250/person, there aren't going to be very many people there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I thought we were only going to have 150 people. Then I did my side and our friends and got to 120. FI's family alone (aunts, uncles and first cousins) is 45! By that point, we knew we weren't going to have a small wedding and figured, why not invite everyone? Go big or go home! :-)

$85/person can be outrageous or a steal depending on what you get. We looked at one place that was around that price. The facility was gorgeous but I didn't like that the appetizers for cocktail hour were add-ons. So it was really $85/person PLUS apps and then I had to figure out what kind and how many and it got too complicated. That $85 also included centerpieces and stuff that I thought we could save money on if we did them ourselves. So if you're getting the things you want, it's great, but if you have to add on to that, it's not so great. We ended up being able to get more of what we wanted for cheaper and closer to the Church, so it was kind of a no-brainer!

I have to admit, I thought Stop & Shop too. I'll have to try this restaurant!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

In Response to Re: The Wedding Rip-Off : Last year my husband paid $3 for a CAN of coke at a wedding.  I am not joking - an actual can was handed to him.  Let's just say the wedding was a bit different from what we are used to...
    Posted by framerican51008

Knowing I pay 4 - 12 packs for $10 at the grocery store, 21 cents a can, that is beyond rip off.  $1 would give a margin profit after for chilling it, handling, transporting it.

Anyone negotiating for a contract should absolutely require that soft drinks, coffee, tea, and water  be covered as part of  the meal price.   Even cash bar should ONLY be for alcoholic or specialty drinks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Honestly, $85/person sounds like a lot to me.  Sure, I've never rented a hall or thrown a formal event, so maybe I'm missing some perspective. But "only $85 per person" seems off.  Like "only" applies that it's a huge steal, where I feel like it's more in the middle of a reasonable range. But, again, I have no real frame of reference.  I only know what my parents spent for my sisters' weddings in the early 90s, and, both times, they got the hall for free (my mom worked at the church).
    Posted by lucy7368

That's what I mean Lucy.  Maybe I didn't express it very well :o)  The person who posted a comment on the article acted like $85 was this fantastic deal.  I was very happy with what I got at my venue, but that doesn't make it a budget event that I would suggest to everyone!  You could find a deal for less if you wanted/needed to and it wouldn't necessarily have to be at a hall (not that there's anything wrong with halls!).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

did she mean $85 pp for the whole kit and kaboodle? because usually when I see $Xpp I think that refers to only food & drink, but that could be just me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

$85pp?? Madness. I spent half that, and it included my cake, a limo, a DJ, and the event coordinator. 

(Promises to Keep is awesome.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

WPP, I knew I should have gotten married in NH :(

ETA: meaning, planned to have my wedding in NH...not married yet, duh.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from candice211. Show candice211's posts

the savings on the sales tax alone if the wedding was in NH vrs MA could be enough for the honeymoon.  6.25%...yeeesh!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

You still pay the NH meals tax which is 9%! Highway robbery!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I did notice a huge price difference between Boston and southern NH (Promises to Keep is in Derry). DH grew up near there and his parents live there, so it was easy to plan it. I got a lot of my vendors from NH, which made them cheaper (and less expensive to pay for travel day of!). 

The night before, my MOH and I stayed at my IL's house and DH and his best man stayed at his sister's in a nearby town. It was nice that we could establish NH headquarters and not have to drive back and forth from Boston.

Sections
Shortcuts