Time to resurrect these boards

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Time to resurrect these boards

What happened to poor Dan in that scenario? Hopefully he had a nice finale to his New Year's Eve? lol

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What a story!  I know, what happened to all the brides???

Not much going on here.  We live boring lives compared to that.  Here's our tree, though.  I made the snowflake ornaments and the angel.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Pretty, Kar! What did you use to make the snowflakes?

Ah, poor Dan. He's been pining for awhile. He's a nice guy, too. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks!  They are crocheted with cotton crochet thread.  Here are a couple of close ups.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

WPP, now that is a NYE to remember.  I was sick of getting almost puked on on the T or streets of Boston on NYE and decided it is safer to stay inside from now on.  

Kar, beautiful decorations! I have those snowflakes too, but I bought mine. :)  You're very talented!   I love the ceiling above the tree, did you put that in or was it there when you moved? 

Oh, and yes, where are all the brides? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tgihal. Show tgihal's posts

2 of my friends have recently gotten engaged and i had raved about the boards and now im somewhat embarrassed that they are so dead!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ajuly!   My DH actually built much of our home himself.  The tin ceilings were one of the few things not already done when he met me, and he asked me to research and purchase (with his cc) the tiles.  I found American Tin Ceilings and actually worked with the CEO (who orginally introduced himself as part of the design team) to choose these - sent photos of the house, etc.  They came all painted, and have a snap-together design, although, it wasn't a very easy project!  DH installed them, and was very happy with what I picked.  I helped paint the casings to the recessed lighting to match. :)

tgihal, invite them to join us and they'll have the advantage of having our full attention!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

quiet holiday season here!  one of the girls i used to work with about 3 or 4 years ago got engaged a couple of months ago...i've been offering help/advice, but she hasn't had much time as she's in school...between finals and applying for grad school, wedding plans have been on the back burner for her. 

i'm still looking for a job, and the job market is getting tougher by the day. 

ajuly i know what you mean about downtown on new years eve.  "been there, done that"!  one time, a friend of mine got a leather coat an early christmas gift.  she decided to wear it to an aerosmith concert...big mistake...she did get puked on at this concert, and it ruined the coat to the point where no cleaner would touch it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lar, still looking for a job?  You've been looking so long!!!  I hope you've had temporary work at some points, at least.  So sorry you are struggling and happy to hear from you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

All year long I thought I had Christmas Eve off as it was on our vacation calendar and then the Scrooges I work with decided to suprise us with the news that our division did not have that as a vacation day. They aren't making all of us work and I said I couldn't but it still sux that they waited until December to tell us.

Christmas Eve I don't have plans this year for once except Midnight Mass, Sunday is DH's parents in the morning and then my family in the afternoon (all in state) and the 26th is Christmas with my parents since my dad is getting home late on the 24.

I like your tree kar :-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

In Response to Re: Time to resurrect these boards:
    quiet holiday season here!  one of the girls i used to work with about 3 or 4 years ago got engaged a couple of months ago...i've been offering help/advice, but she hasn't had much time as she's in school...between finals and applying for grad school, wedding plans have been on the back burner for her.  i'm still looking for a job, and the job market is getting tougher by the day.  ajuly i know what you mean about downtown on new years eve.  "been there, done that"!  one time, a friend of mine got a leather coat an early christmas gift.  she decided to wear it to an aerosmith concert...big mistake...she did get puked on at this concert, and it ruined the coat to the point where no cleaner would touch it!
    Posted by laryan

Eww that is disgusting.  Vomit is my worst nightmare. I work with kids and have them trained that if it's an emergency they don't even need to tell me just run to the bathroom no matter what we're doing!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

I'm getting married in 15days!!! I've been finishing Christmas shopping, finishing little wedding details, plugging away at an internship that won't end and trying to spend time to have (unwedding related conversations) with Fi) so we don't lose each other in the craziness!!  Can't wait for the holidays to celebrate with family and then the big day to celebrate with everyone and ring in the New Year!  Just got our goofy NYE hats and noise makers for everyone to play with at the end of the night!!! Next year will definately be a quiet holiday season to recover from the craziness of this one! 

Kar, Love the decorations..especially the angel!!

Happy Holidays ladies!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I hope the boards do come back to life!

WPP- that story is amazing! I think the experience was worth it just because now you have that great story to tell!

Kar- love your tree! My grandma used to make crocheted ornaments, I think they're so lovely.

Northern- it stinks to work xmas eve! DH used to work in retail, and now works as a wine rep so he's still dealing with clients who hold retail hours. If we weren't flying to Florida to see his family for Christmas, he'd probably be working, too. And he doesn't get paid time off! so even though he's taking those days, he'll probably have to be making sales phone calls much of the time.

So, yeah, over the coast and through the air to SIL's we go. MIL ambushed us with airline tickets (after she purchased them and they cannot be exchanged, of course) so, instead of simply going to MD on the 24th and coming back the 26th, we're stuck in Florida until the 28th. I'm terrified that it's going to snow here and we'll be delayed or cancelled coming home.
    I suppose I should be happy we'll be someplace warm, but I really like the winter. Also, last time I spent Christmas with DH's family I called my mother in tears because all they wanted to do all day was sit and watch "The House of Saddam" on HBO On-Demand while eating the full Christmas dinner DH and I made, off of TV trays, so I don't hold out much hope for this year. Christmas is a big deal for my family, so it was heartbreaking to spend the day acting like it was just any other day- no stockings, no tree, no lights, no Christmas movies or Christmas music. Plus, I feel like if the holiday's no big deal to them, then they shouldn't care if DH and I spend it with my family who actually celebrates the holiday.
    But luckily, DH has been huge into Christmas this year. We've been listening to Christmas music at home, putting up decorations, and we're making 95% of our Christmas gifts. So that's been a lot of fun. We're buying stuff for SIL's family, simply so that we don't have to fly with gifts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'm getting married in 15days!!! I've been finishing Christmas shopping, finishing little wedding details, plugging away at an internship that won't end and trying to spend time to have (unwedding related conversations) with Fi) so we don't lose each other in the craziness!!  Can't wait for the holidays to celebrate with family and then the big day to celebrate with everyone and ring in the New Year!  Just got our goofy NYE hats and noise makers for everyone to play with at the end of the night!!! Next year will definately be a quiet holiday season to recover from the craziness of this one!  Kar, Love the decorations..especially the angel!! Happy Holidays ladies!!
    Posted by NYEBride2010

sounds like it's going to be a blast!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I feel your pain Northern..  At my company New Years Eve was scheduled as a Holiday on the HR calendar and then last week we all received an email stating since the stock market is open, we will be too.  They will add a floating Holiday to next year.  But I was looking forward to 2 short weeks : ( 

All year long I thought I had Christmas Eve off as it was on our vacation calendar and then the Scrooges I work with decided to suprise us with the news that our division did not have that as a vacation day. They aren't making all of us work and I said I couldn't but it still sux that they waited until December to tell us. Christmas Eve I don't have plans this year for once except Midnight Mass, Sunday is DH's parents in the morning and then my family in the afternoon (all in state) and the 26th is Christmas with my parents since my dad is getting home late on the 24. I like your tree kar :-)
    Posted by NorthernLghts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

They were going to do the same for us Amber if we worked. I am use to working on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve so that wasn't the problem. I just didn't like it that they waited until last week to tell us.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I usually work Christmas Eve and New Years Eve but we were only getting it off because Christmas fell on Saturday.  But I too would have loved more notice.  But I guess we should be lucky we are working...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tgihal. Show tgihal's posts

there is a new bride on the boards asking about locations and caterers, her name is kinga9!  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

still looking, kar...i never in a bajillion years thought i'd be measuring unemployment in terms of "years".  even thought its not outright mentioned by potential employers, i'm "seeing" the "age bias" more & more...  

my friend getting vomit on her coat was not a pleasant experience...back then leather coats/jackets were the height of fashion, and I knew her parents paid big bucks for this coat...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

pink, hope when you get there you can relax and enjoy the warmth even though you do love winter here.  Thanks for the comments about your Gramma's snowflakes.  I feel a bit like a granny....lol.

lar, it doesn't seem possible you've been out of work this long.  I'm so sorry to hear that and that you've experienced ageism, too, is dispicable.

I hope the brides come to visit here!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

That's what I keep telling myself amber :-) I may hate that I commute 5hrs a day round trip to get to and from work, but I am blessed to be employed!

Lar, I hope the new year brings better luck for you finding employment.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from flychick. Show flychick's posts

Haven't been to the boards in ages and I was always more of a lurker than poster anyways but good to see some familiar posters.  Tgihal - thanks for pointing out the new bride looking for info -I just posted some info for her.

WPP - that's a great story - wow! 

Ajuly - not to carry on with vomit stories, but I had to smile and wish someone had told me in school to just leave if I felt sick.  I still recall w/vivid detail about 30 years ago in elementary school that was about to get sick but I sat in class quietly with my hand raised until the teacher called on me so I could excuse myself.  As I was scurrying down the hall with my hand clamped over my mouth, some other student coming the other way asked me if I knew where Mr. Fonseca's class was and I took my hand off my mouth to tell him and promptly tossed my cookies instead.  Then I just kept going to the nurses office without saying a word.  I think I'm still scarred but probably not as much as that poor kid.

Pink - I can't believe your MIL bought you and hubby plane tix to visit them and didn't tell you until after.  I'm not sure how I would've reacted to that but it would not have been good.  Hope it works out ok and you're not missing your family too much over Christmas.

NYEBride - congrats on your upcoming wedding!  I love weddings around the holidays, lots of extra festiveness in the air.

Laryan - I think I got the term "brass ovaries" from you, which I still use!  Sending good job karma your way :)

I just realized yesterday that I actually have Christmas Eve off, so that's nice although hubby will be working through Christmas.  Part of the deal when you marry into a flying family, but it's all good.  My family will be visiting though and hubby & I will do Christmas after as I took the whole week off.  NYE at home - can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be.

Wishing everyone a fun and merry holiday and Happy New Years.
    -Flychick

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemondrop23. Show lemondrop23's posts

Hi!

I've been a long time lurker, and I've been waiting forever to have something to post!  Smile I'm recently engaged (3 weeks!) but I haven't even started thinking about planning.  
    Hopefully I can come up with some good questions soon.  Looking forward to getting all of your wonderful input! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Nice thread!  I'm on Santa's naughty list for procrastinating with my vendor reviews.  Soon, I promise!  We're still moving into our house, and DH's dad is sick (so, so sad), so things are crazy, but I haven't forgotten. 

I'm so happy to see both old and new names here!  I hope I can help the newcomers a little and we can "drum up some business," as I've told some friends about the boards, too, and want them to find them useful! 

Happy Holidays to all!  I hope 2011 is a great year for each of you! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WELCOME LEMONDROP!!!

There is an old thread "Post your Ring" (and "post your dress" but that's probably for later for you)  - hope you'll post a photo!

You need to take a photo with the ring off to the far left of center because BDC shifts pictures to the right.  If you take a centered photo, the right side will be cut off when you post.

Sections
Shortcuts