Videographer or not?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Videographer or not?

Any words of wisdom from the marrieds? I didn't see the need in the beginning, but now I'm debating getting one after seeing a friend's video. Will I regret not doing it? Is this something that you watch often? Show your kids often? Is it worth it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Re: Videographer or not?

I personally always wanted one.  I feel like it may not seem necessary right away, but it will be really nice to have in the future.  Pictures are great, but video will be really wonderful to watch 10 years later, see your friends and family acting like you remember them.  Hearing your parents voices, etc.  I also think it will be so wonderful to show our kids someday and to see grandparents or other family who may no longer be with you.  I know some people are shy and don't like seeing themselves on video.  If that is true, maybe you don't need it.  But if you can afford it and aren't super shy about it, I think in the long run you are more likely to regret not doing it than to regret doing it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

It's probably because I hate myself in pictures, but I didn't get a video. We had a friend tape the ceremony because that's something my DH wanted but I've never watched it. I have a hard enough seeing myself in pictures sometimes or listening to my voice on my voicemail so I can't imagine seeing myself in a video.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

We didn't do one and I do not regret it.  I know I would never watch it more than 1x and I wanted to be present for my day and not pander to the camera.  Granted, I know someone is taking photos all day, but I found that easy to ignore, probably much more so than I'd have been able to ignore having Hollywood running after me w/ a video camera.  DH was also adamant that we not get one. 

We also got married in the Catholic Church and they had about 4 pages of rules in my church for setting up a video recording.  We spent the money on the HM and enjoyed that much more.  GL 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kel96. Show kel96's posts

I absolutely love my wedding video and am so glad we decided to get one!  It captured so many parts of the day that I would have "missed" and I love seeing everyone on it, especially my grandfather who has sinced died.  I don't even remember seeing our videographer, which was nice.  He was never in our face but seemed to get all the important things without being intrusive.  Good luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think it's 100% personal choice based on your and fiance's personalities.  It's kind of like asking what kind of flowers you should carry in your bridal bouquet - how would opinions or what others carried help you decide on yours?  Get a video if you want one, don't if you don't.

Anyway, fwiw, I despise videos.  I don't like watching myself on film at ALL, find other people's extremely boring, and think that still pictures let kids get a good enough idea of what the day was like.  It's all I have of my parents' wedding, and I don't wish I had more.  A picture is worth a 1000 words all by itself and much quicker to look at.  Sit down around the kitchen table and tell them all about your wedding day with the album out.  Read your vows to each other in person as part of the story.  Imo, that's a lot better than gathering around the TV and watching a video.

But, that's just me.  And, that's my bridal bouquet in my avatar.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

We did not hire someone to take a video.  At my wedding a co worker's husband set up his video camera and filmed everything for us.  It was not expected and it was a great gesture.  I have the video but it's not edited nor does it have any music, etc. in it.  I looked at some  of it to see if we could open the files.  I agree with Kar, if you both want one go for it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Even if just one of you wants a video, get one.  It doesn't have to be unanimous to be the right decision.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from simon08. Show simon08's posts

I always thought I would never want a video and that I could use the money on something else, etc....but to be honest I do have some regrets because the day went by sooooo fast and I felt like I missed alot that had I had it on video I could then see my whole day.  Then the other 1/2 of me still asks, how many times after the wedding would I really watch it? 
    I would say if you have the extra money - do it

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Simon, that's exactly how I feel...we feel that the money could be put to better use (to board our puppy for the two weeks is costing a small fortune!) but at the same time I can picture us watching it every anniversary. I'm starting to get the general consensus from everyone that because the day does fly by, and where you can't be everywhere at once, it's nice to get to see parts of the wedding that you wouldn't have seen otherwise.

I understand your analogy Kar, and I guess asking this question does seem silly since it's a personal matter of opinion, but it's always good to get a perspective from others about the non-essential parts of weddings from people who have been through it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm not saying it's silly to ask, per se, it's just that I'm not sure if anyone else's perspective would be all that helpful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

We didn't get one and it's not something I regret(especially in this age of digital cameras where you wil end uo with 100's of photos taken by friends and family) - I'm not sure when we would have ever watched it and anyone else would be bored to tears by it. So we put the money towards other things that mattered more to us.

I would rank someone asking me to come over and watch their wedding video alongside someone asking me to come over and watch their slides from a recent vacation. Total snooze-fest (and  love weddings! And vacations!).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shell7. Show Shell7's posts

I am getting a videographer for our wedding in August.  I was hesitant in the beginning because it is so expensive. But most people told me it was the best choice because you will be wrapped up in the whole day that you will forget many things.  I opted for just raw footage instead of paying extra for editing. I know I will be glad with this decision down the road!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I was also a video skeptic, but I got talked into it, and I'm glad.  I admit that the ceremony is not super exciting to re-watch, but I really enjoy watching everyone dance at the reception.  There's nothing else that quite captures the intensity of the fun for me. 

And the video took on new meaning for me and other members of my family after my grandfather passed away recently.  The footage of him having an absolute blast on the dance floor is priceless.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FreshFig. Show FreshFig's posts

I am in a wedding this summer and the bridesmaids are all pitching in to get the bride and groom a videographer. She really wants one but its not in the budget and we feel that they will both regret it especially where there are so many close family members that will not be in attendance on their big day.
    If money is the major decision factor the videographer we are using has a bridal registry. They are http://www.preciousmomentsvideo.com/.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

I regret not getting one...there were a lot of sweet and hilarious moments I wish we caught on tape.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikadoWeddings. Show MikadoWeddings's posts

Wedding videos are always a great memory to have! I would suggest hiring a videographer with a style* that you really like so that you would want to show friends and family the video.

*Cinematic style, creative style, captivating style, MTV/Upbeat Style
    Just some of Boston's great videographers!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Thank you all for your input, this has been great, and honestly has me convinced I might regret it if I don't get one. Mikado, thank you for the suggestions, I wasn't aware of the different styles! Now that I have all my major vendors booked, on to finding one more...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I didn't hire videographer, I just had my very good friend tape the ceremony and then he caught some great moments from the reception, too. A couple years go, we were at my mom's house and I found the tape, and he, my best friend and I watched it together. I'm glad I have it, but I don't think I would have paid for it. If you have a video camera, or know someone who would lend you theirs, I think that's enough.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from piccirie. Show piccirie's posts

It was the best investment we made for our daughters wedding......I love the video she is married 2 years today and we have watched that video at least 10 times since then. I was able to see what I didn't see happening that day. You, and your parents are so involved in making sure everything is running smoothly and the time flies by before you know it it's over......and it is something that you can watch with your children and grandchildren someday. I am sending a link of the vendor we used he was wonderful:) Good luck:)

www.starlitevideo.net
    Bob Accettullo

Sections
Shortcuts