Weight loss and diet tips?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Re: Weight loss and diet tips?

I don't eat red meat myself (just don't care for the taste), but I know that in moderation, it's fine for a diet.  It's a great source of protein, but it does have a lot of saturated fat and cholesterol.  I'd say if you choose to eat it once or week or so, you'll be just fine.  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Make sure it's as lean as possible. Also, cooking it slowly breaks down the connective tissue so you can digest it better. Cook the beef for your week's salads on Saturday or Sunday in a slow-cooker in some seasoning sauce, low-sodium of course :)

Great idea!!  I love tacos, so that taco salad is something great and healthy to make at home. What do you think of ground beef sirloin?  Not as healthy as chicken, I know, but do you think it would be okay for a diet? 
    Posted by Goodness1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I love Weight Watchers, even just to lose a few here and there. I really need the discipline of writing everything down and keeping track of activity motivates me to get my lazybum to the gym. Unfortunately, I never forget to eat. Once it is noon I am up and out on the food hunt. So have to be really careful.  But I find that drinking a lot of water...as much as I hate it...really helps to keep you un-hungry and its good for so many other reasons as well. and Goodness, don't give a second thought (not that you would) to the garbage "calmdown" is throwing around. He/She is probably the one creating all the fake posts anyway. Loser.
    Posted by amschnittger

Ams, I love Weight Watchers, too.  I have been doing it for a while, and have kept the weight off.  It's a good way to monitor what I'm eating, and how much exercise I am getting.  Also, when the weight starts coming off, it keeps me motivated.  I agree with you, it definitely keeps me motivated.  I think I have just plateaued now.  UGH!  I wouldn't mind losing a few more, though.

I really like hearing people's ideas on work outs, foods, etc.  I get bored with my food lately.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Ditto what a-m says about drinking water!  I buy a ton of the sugar free individual flavor packets (Crystal Light, Hawaiian Punch, Ocean Spray) just to make it more interesting.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Thanks everyone!!  You are all so supportive, and have great ideas and tips.  I had NO idea about cooking beef slower to help it digest better.

Very smart.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Hi Goodness!  Try increasing your protein and fiber intake, and drink lots of water.  If you get the 15g of fiber per day that you are supposed to from fruits and vegetables and good carbs [anything w/ 4-5g of fiber per serving] you will be full all day and lose weight.  Oatmeal, eggs, peanut butter, fruit [esp apples] and beans are all great things to add to your daily diet. Also make sure you eat 4-5 times per day, rather than having 3 meals. It makes a huge difference.  Skip soda and energy drinks entirely and have water instead.  Skipping or reducing processed food [crackers, breads, microwave meals] and eating either 'natural food' [ie, apples, bananas, eggs] or food you prepare yourself makes a huge difference.  HTH!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Ams, I love Weight Watchers, too.  I have been doing it for a while, and have kept the weight off.  It's a good way to monitor what I'm eating, and how much exercise I am getting.  Also, when the weight starts coming off, it keeps me motivated.  I agree with you, it definitely keeps me motivated.  I think I have just plateaued now.  UGH!  I wouldn't mind losing a few more, though. I really like hearing people's ideas on work outs, foods, etc.  I get bored with my food lately.
    Posted by Goodness1

Have you tried yoga? Right now I'm combining Power Yoga w/ a run/walk program t hat is also on WW. Its been about a week and I am feeling a lot better. I think switching up your exercise might help jumpstart a little more weight loss. :-)

of course, my bach party is this weekend so I am going to have to start all over again next week...lol.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

All the credit goes to my mom on that one, and Alton Brown!

Thanks everyone!!  You are all so supportive, and have great ideas and tips.  I had NO idea about cooking beef slower to help it digest better. Very smart.
    Posted by Goodness1

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Have you tried yoga? Right now I'm combining Power Yoga w/ a run/walk program t hat is also on WW. Its been about a week and I am feeling a lot better. I think switching up your exercise might help jumpstart a little more weight loss. :-) of course, my bach party is this weekend so I am going to have to start all over again next week...lol.
    Posted by amschnittger

That's so exciting about your bachelorette party.  You will have a lot of fun.  The weather should be nice. 

I am not a fan of running, but I am trying to run as much as possible, and doing a lot of crunches, squats and lunges.  Those help a lot, too. 

I do like yoga.  I mostly use it to calm me down. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Anyone else think this may be a great opportunity to test out boston.com's ignore feature?  :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Hi Goodness!  Try increasing your protein and fiber intake, and drink lots of water.  If you get the 15g of fiber per day that you are supposed to from fruits and vegetables and good carbs [anything w/ 4-5g of fiber per serving] you will be full all day and lose weight.  Oatmeal, eggs, peanut butter, fruit [esp apples] and beans are all great things to add to your daily diet. Also make sure you eat 4-5 times per day, rather than having 3 meals. It makes a huge difference.  Skip soda and energy drinks entirely and have water instead.  Skipping or reducing processed food [crackers, breads, microwave meals] and eating either 'natural food' [ie, apples, bananas, eggs] or food you prepare yourself makes a huge difference.  HTH!
    Posted by ALF72

What does everyone think of diet soda?  I don't drink regular, but I used to drink diet (probably one per day).  I have cut back considerably, and I think I noticed a difference. I read an article about how the sweetener in diet soda makes you "think" you are hungry, and you eat more.  Anyone else read that?  I forget where I saw it now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbilodeau. Show dbilodeau's posts

Anyone else think this may be a great opportunity to test out boston.com's ignore feature?  :)
    Posted by kmt09

I'm with you.  I think that is a great idea.  Hitting it now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

You guys are great!  I feel so supported now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

What does everyone think of diet soda?  I don't drink regular, but I used to drink diet (probably one per day).  I have cut back considerably, and I think I noticed a difference. I read an article about how the sweetener in diet soda makes you "think" you are hungry, and you eat more.  Anyone else read that?  I forget where I saw it now.
    Posted by Goodness1

I read this in several articles, and I didn't believe it at all at first.  I used to drink at least a couple of cans of diet soda every day, and I stopped about 4 months ago.  I have noticed a huge difference in how I look, how I feel, and my appetite.  I don't feel as hungry as I used to, and I don't crave sweets nearly as much.  Very odd!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Posted by Goodness1

Sorry, Goodness, it's 35g of fiber, not 15. I must have hit the wrong button.

I saw the same article. I don't drink soda at all, so I can't comment. You can get caffeine w/o the gas of soda [or the erosion of tooth enamel] by drinking tea or coffee, so skipping soda shouldn't be a problem. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbilodeau. Show dbilodeau's posts

I read an article about how the sweetener in diet soda makes you "think" you are hungry, and you eat more.  Anyone else read that?  I forget where I saw it now.
    Posted by Goodness1

Yes, I read that about high fructose corn syrup.  I think even diet soda is bad...still has sodium and I don't believe that carbination in general is good for you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I read this in several articles, and I didn't believe it at all at first.  I used to drink at least a couple of cans of diet soda every day, and I stopped about 4 months ago.  I have noticed a huge difference in how I look, how I feel, and my appetite.  I don't feel as hungry as I used to, and I don't crave sweets nearly as much.  Very odd!
    Posted by kmt09

I swear, I thought I was imagining it.  I feel the same way.  Not as sluggish, not as hungry, and definitely don't crave it as much or sweets.  I used to CRAVE soda, but once I stopped having it so much, I don't anymore.  Now, if I do have one, it's more of a treat.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I read that, too (about the diet soda). I probably drink one can of diet soda per week...I used to drink it for breakfast. Now I am pretty much completely on water and wine. haha.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbilodeau. Show dbilodeau's posts

Now, if I do have one, it's more of a treat.
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

I crave a regular coke about once a month.  I notice now that I never drink them,  they taste so sweet I can't even finish half a can.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

That's so exciting about your bachelorette party.  You will have a lot of fun.  The weather should be nice.  I am not a fan of running, but I am trying to run as much as possible, and doing a lot of crunches, squats and lunges.  Those help a lot, too.  I do like yoga.  I mostly use it to calm me down. 
    Posted by Goodness1

Yep, can't wait! Its in NYC...there will be a lot of Mexican food and Karaoke involved. And I am wearing blue tights. It will be fab.

I despise running, but I've found that if I do a 31 minute run/walk exercise I can manage and it goes by pretty quickly. You do a 5 minute warm up, then run 1 minute and walk 2 minutes (repeat that 7 times) and a 5 minute cool down.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

I read that, too (about the diet soda). I probably drink one can of diet soda per week...I used to drink it for breakfast. Now I am pretty much completely on water and wine. haha.
    Posted by amschnittger

Water and wine, that's hilarious!  That's the one thing I refuse to give up...love my wine.  And there's no way I'd get through planning the rest of this wedding without it.  :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbilodeau. Show dbilodeau's posts

And there's no way I'd get through planning the rest of this wedding without it.  :)
    Posted by kmt09

Well said.  I'm on a champagne kick...getting in the spirit.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ariel81916. Show Ariel81916's posts

I used to drink a lot of diet soda in college and then gradually gave it up - replaced it with coffee, tea, water, and club soda when I want something fizzy. Now if I have one, I feel all funky. I think it's more the array of artificial junk in it - the sweeteners, colors, etc. - that is a bigger problem than the carbonation.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Same here!  I am a water, wine, and coffee person.  I can't give up my wine. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Yep, can't wait! Its in NYC...there will be a lot of Mexican food and Karaoke involved. And I am wearing blue tights. It will be fab.
    Posted by amschnittger

That is so cute about the blue tights.  What is your theme?

Sections
Shortcuts