Weight loss and diet tips?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Weight loss and diet tips?

[QUOTE]I am obsessed with TJ's too! Have you noticed how cheap their cheese is?  Goat Cheese, Feta, 1/2 the price of other stores!  I also have the laughing cow cheese on celery, had it just this morning in fact!  It is probably the lowest in calories of any snack, and it takes a bit to eat so you don't feel gypped!   I also like TJ's version of pirates b*oty! (omg i can't believe I could not put that word in my post!)
    Posted by ajuly09[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the cheese rocks, but this is a weight loss thread, LOL!  Laughing

Too funny about b**ty!! And, that's weird about the laughing cow celery thing...spooky!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[QUOTE]The music will be fun to dance to.  Are you going to tease your hair
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

I think I may try and find a crimper. lol.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

a-m, you can by a barrel waver iron almost anywhere now; they give your hair that same crimped look!  Sadly I have to admit that I own one...hahaha!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I have been adding much more protein and fiber to my meals. Instead of a plate of pasta with chicken etc. I have been substituting chickpeas or kidney beans instead.  It is a great way to fill you up and you get the fiber that you need.     I need carbs with a meal to feel full.  I could never do the fish and veg. for dinner and feel full. So I have been doing beans instead of rice, bread, or pasta.  

Everyone should have healthy, whole grain, low glycemic carbs like you're doing.  The no-carb idea is unhealthy for so many reasons.  Anyway, if you get tired of subbing beans, you can try organic (so it's not genetically modified; the new stuff is hard to digest) whole wheat pasta and be sure to measure a true serving.  It will fill you up, provide the fiber and vitamins, and not overdo the calories.  It's a heaping bowl of white, refined pasta that's terrible.

Rice, too.  Trader Joes sells a packet (shelf) of cooked wild rice that's high in fiber, nutrition, and low in calories.  It's so easy to use, too, just a few minutes in the microwave, and bam, you have it to stir into soup or use as a bed for anything.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Quinoa is also another alternative if you are tired of whole wheat pasta.  Full of fiber and protein and it tastes darn good too.  They have it in 'rice' form and in 'pasta' form.  Amaranth is good too, although I prefer quinoa. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Spaghetti squash is also a great pasta alternative, and chock full of fiber and vitamin A, which is really good for your skin! :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I worship TJ's gouda. I could eat a whole wheel!

[QUOTE]I am obsessed with TJ's too! Have you noticed how cheap their cheese is?  Goat Cheese, Feta, 1/2 the price of other stores!  I also have the laughing cow cheese on celery, had it just this morning in fact!  It is probably the lowest in calories of any snack, and it takes a bit to eat so you don't feel gypped!   I also like TJ's version of pirates b*oty! (omg i can't believe I could not put that word in my post!)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Spaghetti squash is also a great pasta alternative, and chock full of fiber and vitamin A, which is really good for your skin! :)
    Posted by pinkkittie18[/QUOTE]

I have a recipe I just LOVE for this if you'd like.  Lemme know.

We grow it in our garden, btw. One year it cross pollenated with the zuccini and ended up having green stripes, but the taste was unaffected.  They were pretty funny looking!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Hi Goodness....I am not getting married until September 2010....but I am a size 14/16 and I would like to get down to a 10/12 by my wedding. When did you start dieting? I don't want to start too soon, but I don't want to start too late. Any tips? I am not a huge eater, I think my problem is that I love dining out!

P.S. Ever tried ground turkey instead of beef? Someone might have already mentioned it,but I didn't read all of the posts. It tastes exactly like beef, to me at least!

Thanks!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I can't believe I just admitted my size to everyone !! :/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Ground turkey works fine as long as it's not standing on it's own.  In other words, a turkey burger will taste like a turkey burger, but ground turkey in spaghetti sauce or in chili will taste just like [or better IMO] than ground beef. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bride2B08. Show Bride2B08's posts

Hey kmt, I am curious about whey protein (was eyeing it in Trader Joe's yesterday).  Does it have a strong taste or odd texture?  I don't know if I could do protein shakes, but mixing it into oatmeal sounds pretty good.  Could you mix it into yogurt without it tasting weird?

Thanks!

[QUOTE]My wedding is August 8th, so about a month ago I started gradually increasing my protein intake and reducing the carbs.  I don't think I've ever felt better! I eat a small meal or snack about every 3 hours.  Anything high in protein is good; I eat a lot of chicken, turkey, seafood, lean pork, egg whites, almonds, string cheese, whey protein (a shake, a scoop in my oatmeal, or I use it to make protein pancakes), cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and soy products (Boca burgers, Gardenburgers).  I'm always looking for new recipes and ideas so I'm curious as to what everyone else has to say!  :)
    Posted by kmt09[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

I just read in "Self" that consuming calcium and vitamin D can help reduce bloating due to PMS or salt intake.  Thought I'd pass it along!  I guess I'll be drinking milk and eating yogurt for the next 2 weeks just in case!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]Hi Goodness....I am not getting married until September 2010....but I am a size 14/16 and I would like to get down to a 10/12 by my wedding. When did you start dieting? I don't want to start too soon, but I don't want to start too late. Any tips? I am not a huge eater, I think my problem is that I love dining out! P.S. Ever tried ground turkey instead of beef? Someone might have already mentioned it,but I didn't read all of the posts. It tastes exactly like beef, to me at least! Thanks!
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

I had reduced my portions.  I'm not a huge eater, either, but I like going out to eat, too.  So, I am not "dieting", but just reducing my portion sizes.  If I go out to eat, I'll eat half of what's on my plate.  Or, start off with a salad to fill up on to not eat my entire dinner.  Another thing I'm doing is cutting down on my complex carbs.  I don't eat any white pasta, rice, potatoes, or bread.  I haven't had that in 3 weeks, and have noticed QUITE a difference.  I have already lost 5 pounds.  I'm focusing on strength training as well as cardio, too. 

I have tried ground turkey and chicken, and I'm not a fan.  So, if I'm going to have tacos at home, I use ground sirloin that's 90% lean.  After I cook the beef, I drain the fat, which I'm hoping works.  But, then again, I haven't had tacos in a long time!  Ha!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I just read in "Self" that consuming calcium and vitamin D can help reduce bloating due to PMS or salt intake.  Thought I'd pass it along!  I guess I'll be drinking milk and eating yogurt for the next 2 weeks just in case!
    Posted by heatherv1211[/QUOTE]

Absolutely true.  However, don't go nuts with sugar (makes you retain water similarly to salt, not to mention the calories) or sugar substitute (causes gas from digestion difficulty) so while yogurt is a good source of calcium, unless you can eat it plain, I wouldn't recommend it.  And, you'd have to eat quite a bit of dairy to get enough - try a calcium supplement to make sure.  Potassium is also good for water retention/bloating so a banana a day during PMS will help, too.  As will tons of water, but that will make you pee, of course, so that may be tough to deal with once your dress is on. ;)

ALF, good point about the turkey.  A turkey burger doesn't do it for me.  However, in my chili and meatloaf, I cannot (nor can anyone else) taste the difference.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Yes, that's another thing.  I am right there with kargiver, I drink LOTS of water.  If it's not water, it's my morning coffee.  And, no more diet soda, either.  It bloats!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]Hey kmt, I am curious about whey protein (was eyeing it in Trader Joe's yesterday).  Does it have a strong taste or odd texture?  I don't know if I could do protein shakes, but mixing it into oatmeal sounds pretty good.  Could you mix it into yogurt without it tasting weird? Thanks!
    Posted by Bride2B08[/QUOTE]

It all depends on the brand of whey protein.  I've tried a few different ones...some taste great, some are pretty gross.  GNC's brand of whey protein is really good, I've tried most of the flavors and I like them all.

Whey protein is great in oatmal because it mixes up so well that you don't even notice it's in there.  It can get a little lumpy when you make shakes with it, so I do them in the blender to smooth it out.  I've never tried adding it to yogurt, but I'm pretty sure it would make it really grainy.

I've also added whey protein to healthy recipes for pancakes, muffins, and cookies.  You don't taste a difference so it's an easy way to get some more protein.  Hope all this helps!  Smile

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Kar, what did you eat the day of your wedding to make sure you weren't stuffed but not hungry at the altar?? I am dreading that day. Our ceremony isn't till 5:30, and our dinner won't be served until 8pm. I don't want to eat too much so I feel too bloated, but I don't want to be starving all day either!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Thanks, Kar.  I'm actually pretty much entirely off sugar - I've not been feeling well for a while now and I think I've narrowed it down to sugar as the culprit, so have pretty much stopped consuming it (although am still eating fruit).  Also, I recently was diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency - which apparently is very common, especially in areas with varied whether that may cause folks to not be outside so much (like Massachusetts).  So I'm taking a D supplement as well as a calcium supplement.  Isn't aging fun??

[QUOTE]Absolutely true.  However, don't go nuts with sugar (makes you retain water similarly to salt, not to mention the calories) or sugar substitute (causes gas from digestion difficulty) so while yogurt is a good source of calcium, unless you can eat it plain, I wouldn't recommend it.  And, you'd have to eat quite a bit of dairy to get enough - try a calcium supplement to make sure.  Potassium is also good for water retention/bloating so a banana a day during PMS will help, too.  As will tons of water, but that will make you pee, of course, so that may be tough to deal with once your dress is on. ;) ALF, good point about the turkey.  A turkey burger doesn't do it for me.  However, in my chili and meatloaf, I cannot (nor can anyone else) taste the difference.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I hate to break it to you guys, but adding fiber [ie, Fiber One or that stuff that goes in your OJ] or protein powder to your food is not the same as getting additional fiber or protein from food.  You need to change up your diet and get the fiber from food -ie fruits, veggies and beans - to get any benefit. It's partly due to the fact that high fiber foods are very filling but have very few calories.  If you just add fiber powder to what you are currently eating now, you probably won't see much of a difference.  I just saw an article about this, I think in Women's Health magazine. 

Keep up the good work though!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I agree with ALF but Benefiber keeps me "regular"...lovely, huh??

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Kar, what did you eat the day of your wedding to make sure you weren't stuffed but not hungry at the altar?? I am dreading that day. Our ceremony isn't till 5:30, and our dinner won't be served until 8pm. I don't want to eat too much so I feel too bloated, but I don't want to be starving all day either!
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

Hey, liz,

I hope I can calm you down and lessen the dread you feel about this.  You can do a lot for how you feel on your wedding day by eating a low salt, high water diet the week of your wedding, especially the day before.  And, no matter what you eat that day or how you feel, you'll essentially LOOK the same to everyone else especially if you have a body shaper on.  You cannot possibly, no matter what you eat on the day itself, make it so you can't zip up your gown.  So, try to relax - it cannot go as wrong as you imagine it might.

However, there are some things you can do to make you feel and look absolutely tip top.  I'll give general advice and then exactly what I did afterwards.

Eat small meals so you are satisfied but not stuffed at any point in the day.

Avoid:
    Bacon or other salty breakfast meat
    Cabbage family (broccoli, cauliflower, brussle sprouts, etc) foods that day (anything on the Beano list of foods it is for)
    Sugary or salty snacks

Do Eat:
    Banana with rest of breakfast, another for afternoon snack
    Peeled apple for snack (peeling is harder to digest) - peel in morning, carry in purse with banana.  It will brown a bit, but that doesn't matter.
    Water - stay hydrated but not overly so.  6 glasses ought to be plenty to not pass out at the alter but not spend the day in the restroom.
    Small meals that include your regular food groups.  Do NOT starve yourself.  Enjoy the food part of the day, there's no reason not to.
    Snack on a banana 30 minutes to an hour before the ceremony.

What I ate:

Breakfast out with my parents and fiance:  2 scrambled eggs, one piece of toast (buttered), coffee, bacon (yup, sorry, I'm not perfect!).

Midmorning snack, I made hummus and dipped carrots and cukes in it.  You can buy it, but I just like to make it, and my mom was here helping, too.

Lunch: I have no idea...oh, wait, my mom made sandwiches.  What were they?  Um, sorry, can't remember, but it was something with whole wheat bread...

Snack: You guessed it, a banana.

Light "dinner" around 3:00 (ceremony at 4:00):  My MOH was sweet enough to order a cold cut platter with fruit, cheese, and turkey for our room where the mothers, she, and I were dressing.  It wasn't low sodium, but it was delicious and I didn't eat that much so I didn't have a problem. 

Really, liz, et al, like I said and as you can see, I didn't follow all my own advice for my own wedding day.  But, I did not experience bloating, and I was not hungry walking down the aisle.  It's what you do the day before that really counts.  I was pretty careful about that.

HTH and that you can relax and not be so worried.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks, Kar.  I'm actually pretty much entirely off sugar - I've not been feeling well for a while now and I think I've narrowed it down to sugar as the culprit, so have pretty much stopped consuming it (although am still eating fruit).  Also, I recently was diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency - which apparently is very common, especially in areas with varied whether that may cause folks to not be outside so much (like Massachusetts).  So I'm taking a D supplement as well as a calcium supplement.  Isn't aging fun??
    Posted by heatherv1211[/QUOTE]

Great to be off sugar, heather - it is an inflamatory so it very well can be the cause of your ailments.  It's tough to do, though, so congrats on making the commitment.

Goodness, you are cutting back on simple carbs, not complex ones.  The complex ones are the good, whole, even energy supplying ones from fruit, veggies, and whole grains like you are eating...at least I hope you are. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Thanks Kar!! My MOH told me to eat an hamburger the day of! haha...
    I am not worried about not being able to fit into my dress, I just didn't want to feel uncomfortable and over-stuffed either, or too hungry, I want a happy-medium! Thanks for the advice!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Oh, okay.  I keep thinking that complex means anything that's been bleached like white bread, rice, and pasta.  Good to know.  In any case, that's what I've done and it's worked for me.