Weight loss and diet tips?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Weight loss and diet tips?

P.S.  Regarding the wedding day intake, make sure you have the same amount of coffee at your usual times throughout that day.  Your schedule will be way off, of course, and you may forget, but if you miss it you'll quite likely get a nagging headache.  And, we don't want real headaches on our wedding nights, right?!  ;)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, okay.  I keep thinking that complex means anything that's been bleached like white bread, rice, and pasta.  Good to know.  In any case, that's what I've done and it's worked for me.
    Posted by Goodness1

Yes, it refers to how quickly and easily the carb breaks down to glucose in your body for use as energy after you eat it.  Complex, low and slow (sweet potato).  Simple, a quick burst (Snickers - it may "satisfy you" but they neglect to tell you it drops you into an energy abyss 20 minutes later).  That's why complex carbs keep you fuller longer.  They also contain more fiber which helps in that...and more vitamins.

Keep up the good work, my friend!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks Kar!! My MOH told me to eat an hamburger the day of! haha... I am not worried about not being able to fit into my dress, I just didn't want to feel uncomfortable and over-stuffed either, or too hungry, I want a happy-medium! Thanks for the advice!
    Posted by Sept2010Bride

You're welcome, Liz, you'll be just fine.  You don't feel overstuffed or starving any other day other than Thanksgiving, right?  Your wedding day will be no different.

Oh, I just remembered something else I had at lunchtime.  One beer.  Sam Adams.  Delicious.    Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Thanks!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bride2B08. Show Bride2B08's posts

It all depends on the brand of whey protein.  I've tried a few different ones...some taste great, some are pretty gross.  GNC's brand of whey protein is really good, I've tried most of the flavors and I like them all. Whey protein is great in oatmal because it mixes up so well that you don't even notice it's in there.  It can get a little lumpy when you make shakes with it, so I do them in the blender to smooth it out.  I've never tried adding it to yogurt, but I'm pretty sure it would make it really grainy. I've also added whey protein to healthy recipes for pancakes, muffins, and cookies.  You don't taste a difference so it's an easy way to get some more protein.  Hope all this helps! 
    Posted by kmt09

Thanks, kmt! I bought the Trader Joe's brand of vanilla whey powder, and have been mixing it into my milk (with cereal) and yogurt.  It's not bad!  The consistency is fine; the flavor's a bit funny, though.  But I'm all for getting more protein in my diet - I've been slowly making my way toward vegetarianism lately, and simultaneously training for a half marathon, so I figured I should sneak in more protein wherever possible.

As for getting in wedding dress shape - my trainer told me to think of the metabolism as a furnace that needs to be fed all day in order to keep the fire going burning (i.e. burning calories).  He advised eating something as soon as possible after waking up, to stimulate the metabolism, so I would eat a bowl of oatmeal first thing.  Then protein and complex carbs throughout the day.  No refined carbs for dinner; protein and veggies only in the evenings, since the body doesn't really need the quick energy from carbs at night.  And I had to force myself to cut back on the sugar.  I didn't really lose weight, but definitely got a lot more lean and toned as a result of the diet plus weight & interval training.  Sadly, I fell off the wagon the day after the wedding, starting with a huge ice cream sundae! Wink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bride2B has many great points, but one worth really spotlighting is weight and muscle definition.  If you are lifting weights (which increases resting metabolism so you burn more calories even at rest) you are also increasing your muscle weight as you decrease weight from fat.  Since muscle is so much heavier than fat by volume, you may notice a gain of weight or that it stays steady.  So, go by how your clothes fit to mark progress, not weight, if you are lifting regularly.  You'll shrink where you want to shrink and define where you want to gain.  Of course, the scale doesn't know the difference, and it can be discouraging to work hard but not see the number on the scale go down.  It's girth that matters.

As far as eating all day goes, that's good advice, but it can go horribly wrong.  Just be very calorie conscious.  If you eat all day to keep the fires burning but in the process take in 3000 calories a day your fired up metabolism won't be able to keep up, of course.  Spreading your ~1700 calories out over the day with high nutrient, low calorie foods, however, is what he's expecting someone to do with that advice.

I know I've been a prolific poster on this one, but it's a subject near and dear to my heart!  I can't help myself...I hope it's helpful!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

kargiver, it's near and dear to my heart, too.  It's something that has been on my mind for a while (dieting and weight loss).  With the upcoming wedding, it's been on my mind even more so.  I think what's important is to focus on how my clothes fit.  My clothes are feeling looser, and I'm feeling better and more energetic.  I try not to look at the scale, but when I do see those numbers going down, I can't help but feel a bit happier!  Ha, ha. 

I'm still trying to concentrate on eating small things throughout my day, so I don't STARVE at dinner time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

lol, that's what I did! Eggs and bacon for breakfast and a cheeseburger for lunch. I only ate half though. I was all butterflies.

Thanks Kar!! My MOH told me to eat an hamburger the day of! haha... I am not worried about not being able to fit into my dress, I just didn't want to feel uncomfortable and over-stuffed either, or too hungry, I want a happy-medium! Thanks for the advice!
    Posted by Sept2010Bride

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

The morning of my wedding I had a DD coffee and breakfast sandwich since it was next to my hair place :) and I had to be there at 8 AM so I ate at about 7:30 and was married at 10:30.  Head Kar's advice about the coffee it is very important I hate caffeine headaches they are the next to the worst type (I get migraines so those are the worst for me.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I agree.  I plan on getting my caffeine fix the day of, as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I kicked caffiene three months before the wedding. Caffiene + Stress = Ultra-irratable for me. I had to give it up. I sleep much better now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I really applaud people who can kick the coffee habit.  Me, I COULDN'T.  I'm a total addict. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I don't drink coffee at all, caffiene has zero effect on me. The only things I ever drink are real iced tea, I brew it myself, and water.  But I don't need the tea to keep me balanced, I only drink it if I need some sort of taste. I don't even put sugar in it, just lemon, and fake sugar really upsets my stomach.  People think I am crazy, but I am pefrectly happy without caffiene. Everyone once in awhile I'll have lemonade, but that's about it. And Pink, I'll be all butterflies the day of my wedding as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Let me correct myself, caffeine doesn't really have an effect on me, either.  It's the taste of coffee I love. 

Other than that, I drink water, iced tea and regular tea.  All with NO sugar or sweetener.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Goodness when are you getting married??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

You guys are lucky. I cannot function w/o caffeine.  At all.  I've been addicted since I was about 12.  I used to drink tea w/ my grandmother, so she got me started w/ this vice.  I started adding coffee to the mix about 10 years ago b/c the tea was staining my teeth. I have to have at least one coffee in the AM followed by tea w/ lunch or I am a biatch on wheels.  Ideally, if I could just have a caffeine drip attached to my arm I'd be in heaven.  lol.  No sugar added though.  Just black coffee w/ a hint of cream and tea w/ a little honey. If I have green or white tea, I have it w/o anything added.  I would probably sleep better w/o the caffeine, but I love it too much to give it up.  DH thinks I'm nuts b/c it doesn't matter how hot it is outside, I will still have my hot coffee and hot tea.  Iced tea is okay, but it's not the same as a cup of hot tea [I don't get the same rush, anyway].  Iced coffee is an abomination.  :-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

This October!!  YAY!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pinkie, congrats on kicking caffeine.  I agree with wendy - withdrawal headaches are the second worst.  I get migraines, too.  Anyway, that's awesome!  I've given up all but <100 mg/day as we're TTC, but that's not as good as gone.  Caffeine does affect me; if I drink it too late in the day (after 1:00, really), it affects my sleep.  I can go to sleep, but I wake up in the wee hours of the morning WIDE awake!

ALF, iced coffee is awful!  I don't get the attraction at all, but then I'm a freak about hot drinks.  I'll have a piping hot coffee in a heat wave with no A/C and enjoy every hot sip.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Kinda off topic now, but post related so I'll ask.

What is a good way to get calcium with out eating sugar laden yogurt?  I am trying to cut out fake sugar and real sugar, so i started eating stonyfield yogurt, then noticed they have about 25g of sugar! ouch! ( i know that milk has lots of sugar, but all the added fruit/flavoring must add sugar too)    I know I don't get nearly enough calcium, but not sure how to get it with out adding tons of fat,calories,sugar!  I hate cottage cheese and don't like plain yogurt, even with fruit added, too bland.  
      Any good ideas for adding calcium with out the extra stuff? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

any sort of cheese...and I think some veggies may have calcium. If you're really worried you could take Viactiv, they have a few flavors and are yummy. Although there is probably sugar. But you just take 1-2 a day.

Also some OJ is enhanced with Calcium (tropicana).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Laughing Cow cheese is so good. It only has 30 calories per wedge and taste good on anything like crackers, english muffins, apples, etc.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I guess I could take calcium supplements, but I have heard that it is not like getting the real thing and your body does not absorb it as well. Is this true?  I am also really bad about taking pills! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Calcium needs vitamin D to help with it absorb into your body, which is why it is added to milk.  Most if not all vitamins are better absorbed by the body when natural rather than pill form but that doens't mean that pills are not helpful.  I just take a regular multi vitamin for women because my veggie intake isn't what it should be and I always take it with food, if I don't then it upsets my stomach.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Green leafy vegetables are good sources of calcuim [think spinach, bok choy, broccoli, etc].  Also nuts, sardines [ewww] and shellfish. 

Also, I think it's added sugar you need to worry about, not sugar that occurs naturally in fruit or milk.  I don't believe it's possible to eliminate all sugar [glucose] from your diet.  That being said, you really do have to read the labels on 'healthy' foods like youghurt.  Some of the organic ones or ones touted by various magazines are really high in sugar. 

Lite and Fit Yoghurt has very low sugar.  Esp if you stick to vanilla and add fruit for additional flavor.  It's pretty flavorful on it's own.  Cheese in any form is awesome.  Laughing cow is good, but so is soft feta.  A little feta goes a long way b/c it's such a strong flavor.  That, of course, does not stop me from ODing on it.  :-) 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

any sort of cheese...and I think some veggies may have calcium. If you're really worried you could take Viactiv, they have a few flavors and are yummy. Although there is probably sugar. But you just take 1-2 a day. Also some OJ is enhanced with Calcium (tropicana).
    Posted by amschnittger

Broccoli is a good source of calcium and strong tasting leafy greens like kale and "greens" as in collard greens, turnip greens, etc.  Who eats dandelion greens every day, though?

Yes, getting it from food is the most bioavailable way, but as I'm fairly sensitive to dairy (it breaks my rosacea out if I eat too much) and I don't like kale and I don't eat a cup or two of broccoli every day, I do not get enough from my diet.  In order to get it from diet alone, you'd have to do your research and purposefully eat a calcium rich diet every day - it wouldn't happen by accident.  I know I'd never do it successfully for longer than 2 weeks. 

What makes a good supplement is tough to evaluate by looking at the package, and I'm no expert on it.  I found this, but I can't vouch for its accuracy; I'd have to cross reference it with other sources first:  Calcium sources, food and supplements

Sections
Shortcuts