What are you registering for?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ncammorata. Show ncammorata's posts

What are you registering for?

When it comes to wedding gifts, be careful what you wish for

While some couples do register for nontraditional gifts, the fast majority still ask for the same presents couples have requested for ages: fancy china, crystal wine classes, crock posts -- regardless of whether they'll ever use them.

Did you (or do you plan to) register for "traditional" items?  Share your thoughts below.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizzo. Show lizzo's posts

Re: What are you registering for?

I know I didn't register for a "crock post".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I registered for all traditional items and I use them.  The crock pot and panini press were gifts for a different occasion and both get used regularly. I am not by any means a gourmet cook, but you need to eat! I do all my cooking on the weekend.  I understand working long hours [I do too] and not being domestic [I will admit to being a homebody], but how do people eat if they don't cook?  One can only have cereal for so many days. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

i didn't register for my first "starter marriage" (1982, i bet half, or more of you werent even alive then) and got 6, count em 6 cheeseboards, so i started to advise people to make sure they do
    i didnt register for my second marriage - (which is still going strong after 20 years) because we had basically what we needed and even though different life, different people, i still felt uncomfortable since it was my second marriage, and we also only had about 45 people there

now i would LOVE to register for everything i want!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

In Response to Re: What are you registering for?:
    I registered for all traditional items and I use them.  The crock pot and panini press were gifts for a different occasion and both get used regularly. I am not by any means a gourmet cook, but you need to eat! I do all my cooking on the weekend.  I understand working long hours [I do too] and not being domestic [I will admit to being a homebody], but how do people eat if they don't cook?  One can only have cereal for so many days. 
    Posted by ALF72

There is a cool new gadget called a microwave. ;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

In Response to Re: What are you registering for? : There is a cool new gadget called a microwave. ;)
    Posted by plasko

Well, yeah, but microwaveable meals are disgusting.  I'd rather eat cereal.  Or just actually cook something. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

you'd be surprised what you can make in the microwave. I sure am. Our kitchen is gutted right now, microwave is in the living room. We've had some pretty good meals made only with the microwave oh and the help from good old Trader Joes. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ALF, you'd be horrified to know that Monday - Thursday 2007 (the whole year) I ate take out pizza or Chinese.  Superior Pie or Dominos in Framingham.  Friday - Sunday I cooked at boyfriend's/fiance's house.  Every week.  I'd probably still be subsisting on it, too, if I hadn't gotten married.  The year before that, I cooked for myself more, but I tired of it and got into the takeout rut.  I didn't even mind it, and looked forward to ordering my new pizza for the week every Monday!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Dang, even when I was single and lived alone, I'd cook for myself on the weekend and heat up [in the microwave] during the week.  Not a fan of mass prepared food, but I guess I'm in the minority.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I LOVE takeout.  But, now that I'm a housewife and have time and energy to put into cooking without it being "one more thing I have to fit in," I do enjoy it and love my own food as does DH.  It has spoiled me for going out to eat in a nice restaurant - I usually feel like I could have done a better job at home.  BUT, I do get cravings for Chinese takeout...I can't reproduce that at home...and wouldn't want to even try.  I didn't even gain weight doing it because I ate small portions to make it last all week so it wouldn't cost a fortune.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

At the time of my wedding, the apartment DH & I shared barely had a kitchen. It consisted of a mini oven, mini fridge, a sink, no counter, and two cabinets. We barely had room for the small amount of pans, plates and utensils we did have. We rarely cooked, both working two jobs and not able to share meals.

So, we registered for our honeymoon. No regrets, it was awesome, and our guests gave generously. We included photos in our TYNs.

Now, we've just been accumulating our kitchen necessities on our own. MIL got us a crock pot for xmas one year, I go to TJ Maxx downtown and get nice brand name pans on sale- and DH and I just got an awesome Cusinart coffeemaker that automatically grinds and brews at 8:30am every day for $40!

I think that if I had registered for all the kitchen stuff, I would have gotten a whole bunch of stuff we'd never use. I've found it's much easier to buy things as I realize we need them. A roasting pan here, a casserole dish there. We're planning another move in September and I'm going to toss our old pots and flatware and get new ones. There's a flatware set in Crate & Barrel that I've been eyeing...
    And the other day we were listening to the new cooking show on NPR, and they said you save money buying pots and pans separately instead of buying a set.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I LOVE takeout.  But, now that I'm a housewife and have time and energy to put into cooking without it being "one more thing I have to fit in," I do enjoy it and love my own food as does DH.  It has spoiled me for going out to eat in a nice restaurant - I usually feel like I could have done a better job at home.  BUT, I do get cravings for Chinese takeout...I can't reproduce that at home...and wouldn't want to even try.  I didn't even gain weight doing it because I ate small portions to make it last all week so it wouldn't cost a fortune.
    Posted by kargiver

I don't think I could ever give up Chinese takeout! That's something we end up getting once a month. I love it so much!
    Have you tried the Orange Chicken from Trader Joes? It comes in a big frozen bag, and if you follow the directions for making it in a frying pan, it's the closest I've ever gotten to takeout at home.

ALF- I LOLed at your cereal comment. When I didn't cook I ate cereal all the time! Even now if I'm on my own for dinner on the rare occasion, sometimes I just have cereal instead of cooking a meal for one. DH teases me about how much I love cereal. I could eat a whole box in one sitting!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

I did register for a lot of "traditional" gifts such as a blender, toaster oven, china and glass stemwere but I like to cook. I registered for a pots & pans set and I love having extra pots that I can use in different sizes.  For awhile I had been using my cheap plastic dishes & cups from college for every day dinner and saving the nicer stuff (not my china) for company. But then I realized that's just silly and pointless so i use them for every meal now (until they are all dirty and in the dishwasher).

At the time when we got married, we had a tiny kitchen so most of them stayed in boxes for 6 months. But now that I have a kitchen I enjoy using them. I don't break out my blender for everyday cooking but it sure is convenient to have. I got an emersion blender for Christmas that I can't wait to find use for.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Oh, and I can't quote for some reason but in S&S they sell seasoning packets to make your own Chinese food. I love take out, don't get me wrong Smile but it is kind of nice to make my own beef with broccoli or honey sesame chicken. They have a bunch of them with the other Asian foods.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Pink- I LOVE that orange chicken from TJ's they have such a good selection. Also good frozen indian food.   
    Since we have not had a kitchen, one would think we'd do take out all the time. We've done it no more than when we had a kitchen. We just can't afford it! It's either eat cheap stuff here or get take out all the time and have no money for the granite counters we want. 

Just realized I never answered the post question. We registered for a nice set of dishes, new silverware, pyrex etc. But no crystal, china etc. We'd never use it and it would sit in the boxes. I have never felt sentimental about having my own wedding china, I think times have changed. Also, I have china (4 sets!), crystal and silver from my family if I want them, which down the road I probably will.   
     I never would have registered for things just to register for them, we only put things on the list that we would use, and we do!  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Northern- that's so great that you use your china! my mom has always had her big hutch of china that she never uses. She'll use the crystal glasses and stuff, but the dishes just sit there. I've never eaten off of them. The sad thing is that they're not my style, so if she ever gives them to me, they still won't get used!

I should have registered for towels and sheets. We went far too long with a collection of ratty old towels and sheets that didn't match just looked awful. I finally threw them all out and bought new ones last spring. It made the biggest difference. Now if we have a guest I don't have to look for the least stained towel.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I use my china, but I will admit that I'm afraid to use the crystal.  lol.  Something about $75 goblets freaks me out.  We've used them maybe 3 times in as many years.  Tongue out

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

I don't use the 'good' china every night but i use my every day dishes. It's a Nova Black Sango set from Macys. I couldn't find every day dishes to register for so I ended up buying them when they were on sale Buy one get one free for a 16 piece set. I just looked and they are on sale again. I could use more plates but I don't need anymore bowel or coffee cups.

I registered for towels (and got them) but some reason I'm afraid to use them because I saved them for guests. Well, guess what, I rarely have guests. Good towels for all from now on!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I use my china, but I will admit that I'm afraid to use the crystal.  lol.  Something about $75 goblets freaks me out.  We've used them maybe 3 times in as many years. 
    Posted by ALF72

I think the same way. DH works in the wine industry, and we go through wine glasses like you wouldn't believe! The expensive crystal ones are so fragile. My mom wanted to buy us a new set for xmas and I advised her not to buy fancy ones because we just can't seem to go two weeks without breaking a glass!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from killakam. Show killakam's posts

This is such a great forum.  I will be getting married in the Fall and have been thinking about this whole registering thing.

The fiancée and I have been living together and cook everyday so we have most of our kitchen necessities.  Also, I LOVE my mother's china and have already told my sister that I claim them.  Not that I will get them anytime soon I hope.

So, I've been at a loss on what we would register for.

Any creative suggestions?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from killakam. Show killakam's posts

At the time of my wedding, the apartment DH & I shared barely had a kitchen. It consisted of a mini oven, mini fridge, a sink, no counter, and two cabinets. We barely had room for the small amount of pans, plates and utensils we did have. We rarely cooked, both working two jobs and not able to share meals. So, we registered for our honeymoon. No regrets, it was awesome, and our guests gave generously. We included photos in our TYNs. Now, we've just been accumulating our kitchen necessities on our own. MIL got us a crock pot for xmas one year, I go to TJ Maxx downtown and get nice brand name pans on sale- and DH and I just got an awesome Cusinart coffeemaker that automatically grinds and brews at 8:30am every day for $40! I think that if I had registered for all the kitchen stuff, I would have gotten a whole bunch of stuff we'd never use. I've found it's much easier to buy things as I realize we need them. A roasting pan here, a casserole dish there. We're planning another move in September and I'm going to toss our old pots and flatware and get new ones. There's a flatware set in Crate & Barrel that I've been eyeing... And the other day we were listening to the new cooking show on NPR, and they said you save money buying pots and pans separately instead of buying a set.
    Posted by pinkkittie27

How did you register for your honeymoon?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from deniece881. Show deniece881's posts

We registered for kitchen items to fill in things I'd already been aquiring, (misc pots and pans and knives) and replacements for the things I'd bought when I first moved out ages ago that had seen better days (towels, small appliances, less girly decor items).  We didn't register for anything that didn't have a place in our home, and we've used everything.  :-)  Some I love dearly - new towels, my griddler, and my increased All-Clad collection.  We didn't register for china because I'm getting my grandmothers, just as soon as I figure out where in the world we're going to store it and my honey would have gone crazy if I brought one more dish into the house (I may have a little-bitty dish collecting problem, lol).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: What are you registering for? : How did you register for your honeymoon?
    Posted by killakam

thehoneymoon.com I liked their set-up and I was very happy with their service. Of course, that was 2007, so I don't know if they're still the best service out there, but they were at the time.
    It's not for everyone, there are plenty of people out there who are staunchly opposed to the whole idea, but I asked close friends and family if they thought it was a good idea, and my group was very supportive.

As for traditonal items, I recommend towels, sheets- I can't believe people in the article registered for a steam mop and don't use it. I got a steam mop for xmas and already I don't know how I lived without it. No more buckets for me, no more musky carpets, no more wringing out mops!

If you don't have a glass cooktop, cast iron skillets are amazing. I have three and use them for almost everything. A good grill pan is also great for when you can't grill outside. A good set of casserole dishes (with covers) is also great if you don't already have one. My family is big on potlucks, so I find them indespensible.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

agreed pink! I had a 13X11 caserole dish which is nice but I wanted one with a cover. So i registered for a small round one and a medium sized one with lids. Love them both.

It's funny, I registered for a few "fun" things that people thought were the greatest things ever when I opened them at my shower. I got a collapsible colander and strainer (such a space saver) and a cupcake carrier. It can carry 24 cupcakes at once. When i bring treats into work, people look at it like it's the neatest thing ever. Super convenient because you can carry it with one hand using the handle. Not a gift for everyone of course but thought I'd share anyway

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

cake carriers are one of those things you don't realize you need until you're about to walk out the door with a fully frosted cake and have nothing to put it in!

Sections
Shortcuts