What are you registering for?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

Re: What are you registering for?

In Response to Re: What are you registering for?:
    [QUOTE]At the time of my wedding, the apartment DH & I shared barely had a kitchen. It consisted of a mini oven, mini fridge, a sink, no counter, and two cabinets. We barely had room for the small amount of pans, plates and utensils we did have. We rarely cooked, both working two jobs and not able to share meals. So, we registered for our honeymoon. No regrets, it was awesome, and our guests gave generously. We included photos in our TYNs. Now, we've just been accumulating our kitchen necessities on our own. MIL got us a crock pot for xmas one year, I go to TJ Maxx downtown and get nice brand name pans on sale- and DH and I just got an awesome Cusinart coffeemaker that automatically grinds and brews at 8:30am every day for $40! I think that if I had registered for all the kitchen stuff, I would have gotten a whole bunch of stuff we'd never use. I've found it's much easier to buy things as I realize we need them. A roasting pan here, a casserole dish there. We're planning another move in September and I'm going to toss our old pots and flatware and get new ones. There's a flatware set in Crate & Barrel that I've been eyeing... And the other day we were listening to the new cooking show on NPR, and they said you save money buying pots and pans separately instead of buying a set.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]
    im not a huge fan of ikea but i have bought a lot of pots and pans from them

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

JEnvie- I love IKEA! the majority of our living room and bedroom furniture are from there. I get a lot of kitchen odds and ends there- measuring cups, ice cream scoops, etc.
    We used to have a wok from IKEA, but I didn't like the wooden handle. I ended up buying a new one from TJ Maxx.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

[QUOTE]i didn't register for my first "starter marriage" (1982, i bet half, or more of you werent even alive then) and got 6, count em 6 cheeseboards, so i started to advise people to make sure they do i didnt register for my second marriage - (which is still going strong after 20 years) because we had basically what we needed and even though different life, different people, i still felt uncomfortable since it was my second marriage, and we also only had about 45 people there now i would LOVE to register for everything i want!!!
    Posted by JEnvie[/QUOTE]

I was in my early 20's in 1982..Jordan Marsh was the only real bridal registry around at the time and it wasn't computerized.    1982 was about 3 or 4 years before microwaves were invented/come out...(yes, life existed before microwave, the internet and cell phones)

I was a "late in lifer" to get married, and yes, I registered.  I registered mostly for everyday items that I know I'd use like a microwave, vaccuum, casual china, etc.  I loved the process and told people, especially the elderly members of my family (who aren't to keen on "bridal registries" and big fancy hall/restaurant type showers with either a buffet or sit down dinner) to look at it as a guide/shopping list as to what the bride & groom actually need.  

Computerizing these bridal registries has made life so much easier in the sense it does cut down on duplicates...i just hope Target gets into the habit of updating their registries more frequently.     

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

pinkie, i am positively addicted to the glass containers with the pop on and off tops, i have them in all the sizes and keep all my trail mix fixins (i make my own), coffee beans, tea bags, you name it in them!

laryan, i have to disagree about the microwaves, i graduated hs in 1977 and i distinctly remember having one before then, when they first came out, my mother got one, and she baked postatoes in it and they were God awful, i think they used to heat up their sanka in it too!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

ugh, my mom likes to microwave potatoes. I understand that it takes less time than the oven, but they just don't taste as good.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Initially I thought I didn't want any of the traditional items... china, nice pots & pans, crystal stemware and silverware.  We had been living together for a few years before we got married in which time I gradually upgraded from take out and using the microwave every night to actually making home cooked meals together.  Over the course of our first few years we acquired all the basics... casual dinnerware and even a crock pot (I LOVE mine, there's something so satifying about throwing some food into it in the morning and coming home to an amazing smelling meal 8 hours later with no work). 

I didn't think we needed anything else, but am SO glad now that our parents pushed us to register for nice items that we'll have forever.  I used to think china was silly, but after only four months of being married I find we entertain so much more now and feels great to bring out my completely coordinated set of china and silverware.  I still only use it when we have company (since we have still use our casual dinnerware every night)  but in four months we've used it 8 times already.

I love, love, love our new pots & pans too (we got the All Clad Copper Core line).  They were pricey but if you love to cook like we do now you'll notice a huge difference from the cheapies.

Now that I've been through the process, as a guest at upcoming weddings I plan to buy these types of items off other people's registries.  I find myself thinking about the people who gave me each item when I use them.  Although I obviously really appreciate all the people who gave us money too its not quite as memorable.  For years to come when I break out my amazing set of pots & pans I'll think of my bridesmaids who pooled together to get them for us.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---Have you tried the Orange Chicken from Trader Joes?---

Pinkie, I agree it is awesome. I make sure, I always have some in my freezer. I just wish there was more sauce. So, I buy  a bottle of Sweet and Sour Chili Sauce to go with it. It lasts for many dinners.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

i only use my microwave for a "quick reheat" of leftovers or popcorn...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are you registering for? : my mother once microwaved an entire turkey. It was gray and chewey. My brother and I both ended up vomiting after eating it!
    Posted by disco2000[/QUOTE]

That sounds horrible!  My microwave used to be my best friend.  Now I use it maybe twice a week to reheat something.  I think its now the least used appliance in my kitchen.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

[QUOTE]We were married young (at 23 and 24) and had virtually nothing to set up house in, so we registered for dishes, glasses, silverware, china, all the usual stuff. Unfortunately, we come from families who are A) extremely cheap and B) only get you what they think you need...so we got virtually nothing that was on the registry and ended up returning 90% of the junk we did get ie- hideous salsa and chip bowls, old lady salt and pepper shakers, a set of dishes that I didn't register for, but instead were mustard colored with hideous sunflowers on them. IT was REAL hard to fake the "oooh's and ahh's" that day. Ingrateful? Maybe, but the whole point of a shower is to help a couple set up house, so how hard is it to stick to a registry of low-mid priced items?? THe only thing worse than the wedding shower was our baby shower where my registry was also blown off and I ended up with literally 22 pairs of frigging fleece footy pajamas that the baby couldn't wear till she was 18 months. The worst!!

Yes you were ungrateful. But understandably so at such a young age. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

i'm also love the variety of bridal registries today...not only does macy's has one, so dosen't bed bath & beyond, target...even tupperware has a gift registry..i'm a HUGE fan of tupperware...tupperware has also done "gift sets" which I think is great for someone or a couple just starting out..      

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

We registered for a lot of the normal things, but not china or fancy stuff like that. I would definitely break it.

One of the world's greatest inventions is a food saver, which I didn't register for but MIL gave us one anyway. It's awesome; it vacuum seals food so you can save it longer and don't need to toss it.

I also love my Calphalon pans and my wok. Before we were married, I didn't know how to cook and now I love it and do it all the time. We got an indoor grill, which is great when you want a steak or burgers and it's December.

We renovated our kitchen this summer and not having a kitchen for a month was a world of pain. We grilled a lot, ate a bunch of Chinese takeout, and microwaved things like soup. I rarely use my microwave, except for reheating things quickly. I feel like even if you get frozen pizza you have to cook it in the oven because it comes out soggy and gross in the microwave.

I'm glad that Northern registered for all of her kitchen stuff because she's a good cook and DH and I like when she feeds us. :) 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Microwave technology was invented in the 1940s during WW2 initially used in radar applications.  It was enhanced to oven/cooking use after the war when defense contractors had a bunch of engineers sitting around finding new uses for technologies developed for the war. So you're still off by about 30 years.
    Posted by some-guy[/QUOTE]

I worked for the company that made the first RadarRange - Raytheon.  The story goes that there was a candy bar sitting within reach of radar testing equipment, and it melted...

SS, I have to second the love for All Clad.  Not overpriced "name only" cookware, it's the real deal.  I don't have the copper bottom ones, but still, they rock.  The pan I use the most (even for just two people) is the 6 qt saute pan.  Huge, but you can braise, fry, saute, whatever in there, and the heat distribution is second to none.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are you registering for? : my mother once microwaved an entire turkey. It was gray and chewey. My brother and I both ended up vomiting after eating it!

oh my God, I can't believe you were able to choke it down to begin with! How long did she have to microwave it for? it must have taken an hour!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ElmiraGulch. Show ElmiraGulch's posts

We did not have a gift registry when we were married over ten years ago.  I was rasied in a family that believed such things were tacky and, because I had been living outside the family home for a year, did not need household basics. We recieved lovely gifts that we certainly never would have chosen and still use regularly such as embroidered placemats, two beautiful vases, a painting, and a cordless drill set.  Sometimes letting other people give from their own heart and experience works out quite nicely.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from galia4. Show galia4's posts

From my 8 year old grandson:  "My mommy says that when you are getting married, you think you need all sorts of stuff. Then when you've been married 10 years, you wake up one day and realize that it's all just a bunch of junk."

Sections
Shortcuts