What to do about the Bachelorette Party?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: What to do about the Bachelorette Party?

I planned my friend's at Jaques in the South End and it was awesome. I have never laughed so hard in my life. It's a Drag show. It's sooo fun. There are two shows.  We went out for dinner before and then drinks after that and it was not a crazy night, but it was still fun! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

you shouldn't be planning your own Bachelorette Party...a couple of ideas though...a "scavenger hunt" around boston, a comedy club show...(improv assylum, commedy connection, etc.)  a "spa party" with your friends...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Laryan is correct, the bride shouldn't be involved in the B. Party planning.

But some ideas nonetheless:
    Dinner and a bar crawl around Fenueil Hall (can even start with dinner in the North End and go from there).
    Donkey Show
    Jillians at Fenway has a variety of stuff to do
    Improv Asylum

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

I just had my bachelorette 2 weeks ago.  My sister lives in the city so she planned it.  We had a great dinner in the North End at my fav restaurant, Lucca then hit Phoenix Landing in Cambridge, Sat nights there's a DJ (plays lots of '80s fun dance music) for dancing.  It's fun, not too crazy and relatively inexpensive so you can not worry about blowing peoples budgets...which was a concern for some of my friends.  I wasn't involved in the planning but FI helped by footing the bill for a hotel room so we could all spend the night...it was the biggest slumber party I've ever had! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

I went to dinner and then the Improv Asylum and it was a lot of fun.  There was a package deal on their site that should still be available.

I don't think it's fair to jump on the OP for helping to plan.  While the bride 'shouldn't be planning the bachlorette' it's not always that cut and dry.  My MOH wanted to know what I and the rest of the group wanted to do. All the girls did not know each other well, so I was the only link between them all. I think it can be very stressful for the MOH when she doesn't know the whole group.

I was happy to offer suggestions of what I thought EVERYONE would have fun doing. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Shear Madness is awesome.  But, to echo the others, you shouldn't be planning your own party - it's kind of rude because it's the rightful place of your bridal party to do that unless your girls have asked you for ideas.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I don't think there's anything wrong with the bride and the MOH planning it together.

Everyone has a different idea about what a "bachelorette" means, so I think it's great that the MOH and the bride are planning it together to ensure that it's what they think is appropriate for their friends (in terms of activites and budget).

As518 doesn't sound like a demanding bridezilla - she just wants some fun ideas.

Sorry that I'm old and tired so I don't have any great suggestions - LOL!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There's nothing wrong with it if the MOH asked her for input.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

there are a few great karaoke places in the theatre distrcit.
    Do you know what kind of music you want to dance to?
    Improper Bostonian and Stuff @Night have directories of clubs in their pages that tell you what the music mix will be in certain clubs on certain nights.

two places I advise people to avoid are UnderBar and Revolution Rock Bar. Crowded in a bad way, and not worth the price you pay to get in.
    I like Gypsy Bar, good mix of people and they never let it get over-crowded. Estate can also be a lot of fun, depending on the music mix.

if you like jazz you could go to the Beehive for dinner and then drinks and dancing. I'm always hearing great things about it, but I'm not a jazz fan.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

As some have said there is NOTHING wrong with helping in the planning of your bachelorette party at all.  What can possibly be wrong with it.  I did not have part in the planning of mine but would not have had a problem if I was asked to.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The problem is that if she jumps in without being invited to take part in the planning it usurps the power bestowed on the MOH and bridal party.  It's part of their role in the bridal party to plan the party for the bride.  However, if the MOH/party wants and asks to include the bride in the planning, you're right, there's NOTHING wrong with that.  It's her prerogative to ask the bride to help plan the party.  It's not the prerogative of the bride to participate in planning her own party without being asked.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Sorry but are you kinding me "upsurp power bestowed on MOH".  The bride can do whatever she pleases.  It is her wedding.
    Sorry but have to disagree.
    Yes we all have our own opinions but to say this is wrong I think is poor taste.  Truly there is no rule.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There are rules, but some breeches of etiquette are far worse offenses than others.  This isn't one that's a big deal, imo, but it does take away from the role of the MOH if the bride jumps into the planning process without being invited to do so by the person who's traditional responsibility it is to plan the bach party.  What if when she was asked to be the MOH she put $1000 down on a surprise dream venue for the party because it's her prerogative to plan the party?  Does she have to ruin the surprise because the bride got involved months later?  The bride should sit this part out and enjoy whatever the MOH plans UNLESS the MOH says, "Hey, Bride, do you have any ideas for your bach party you'd like us to consider?" 

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, I guess.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I get the concept of the bride not planning her own bachelorette party, but think that it is only in poor taste when some blow out, weekend long extravaganza is planned, or when the bride plans the party but expects the attendees to pay for everything, including her own fare.  Being involved in planning where to for dinner, drinks and some after dinner fun [ie, a comedy club, bar or dance club] in the local area I think is perfectly fine, esp where the bride is paying for herself. 

This is just a fun night out, locally, with no gifts involved, so I don't see the harm in the bride having any role in the planning of this event.  As long as it's not a super expensive event, the cost of which is passed on to hte attendees w/o their approval, or they are picking up the cost of the bride's way, I don't see an issue. 

That being said, I second cosmo. I'm too old and boring to think of anything fun to do.  Or rather, what I  think is fun would probably not float the boat of a 24 yo bride.  ;-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree with Alf.
    There is nothing in any of the OP's post that shoudl lead any of us to think she's usurping anything. it sounds like she and her MOH are having fun planning a night if fun together. We should not take it upon ourselves to be wet blankets.

We've gotten a little judgemental around here, and mostly by reading itno situations that which may not be there at all.

You know what they say about people who assume...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

The bride planning her own bachelorette party? WOW, how thing has changed. What will be next?
    - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

I see both sides of this.  While I did have a great time at my bachelorette, it wasn't what I had really wanted to do; because I wasn't asked I didn't let it bother me or ruin the great night I had with my closest friends. If I had been asked and my opinion was ignored, it would have been a different story.

My MOH(my little sister) and a bm are quite a bit younger (and in college) so money was an issue for them (although FI made it clear that he would cover anything that she didn't think she could) so there was quite a financial difference between the younger and older girls in the group.  My MOH tried to plan an inexpensive and fun night but didn't consider the ages of some of us that may not want to drink/party all night....I got lucky that all my friends enjoyed doing something very different from their normal social agendas. 

I would have enjoyed helping planning but am glad I didn't have to help with it and could focus on more important things related to the wedding.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: What to do about the Bachelorette Party?:
    The bride planning her own bachelorette party? WOW, how thing has changed. What will be next? - Pingo
    Posted by pingo

chaos in the streets! dogs and cats living together! mass hysteria! a complete deterioration of marriage as we know it!

seriously, this really isn't a big deal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

i went to a bachelorette party saturday night at jaques, and it was one of the most fun i have ever had!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

What is Jaques and where is it?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

jaques is a drag cabaret in the Theater District

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks Pink

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from as518. Show as518's posts

Hi everybody, thanks for your suggestions and ideas!  

In response to the controversy about me planning my own BP, it's more of a collaboration with my MOH, who lives in DC and doesn't know my friends very well (a few of whom don't live in Boston, either).  I'm happy to have input so that nothing is planned that is too expensive or crazy for the group, which kind of ranges level of party-hardiness and cash flow.  Haha. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, the ideas are great and I'm thinking Jacques Cabaret might be perfect. Any dinner recs in that area of the South End?

Happy New Year, everyone :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

The Beehive is a great place for dinner

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

The beehive is a great suggestion. We went to Toro, spanish tapas before going to Jacques. We went to 27deg. afterwards, but you could always go there before for a meal.  Melting Pot was also on our list, but we couldn't get our act together in time to make a reservation and then it was all booked up!

Sections
Shortcuts