Why do I ALWAYS have heartburn?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Why do I ALWAYS have heartburn?

Seriously? I have it almost everyday. It is this burning feeling in my stomach that goes all the way up to my throat. You would think I eat a pound of buffalo wings everyday :(

Anyone else suffer from HB or indigestion?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Re: Why do I ALWAYS have heartburn?

Heartburn sufferer here!  Though I have figured out my triggers.  Spicy food, tomato sauce, sour mix, too much fruit juice.  I'm usually ok if I stay away from that stuff, and always have Tums on me just in case.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I used to have it really bad about 5 years ago.  I had to completely change my diet.  I get it the next day now after I have been drinking beer...not so much with wine.

I get it after I eat spicy foods, salty foods, soda, sometimes even ice cream.  I used to take OTC meds, but if I just watch what I eat now I am usually okay.  I think the drinking was the biggest contributor for me - I drank a lot more during my college years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Liz, i sent you another email, btw

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Check with your doctor it could be acid reflux the causes are many.  My poor little niece has it all of 8 years old but hers was related to her other breathing issues and I haven't check recently but I think it was something she could grow out of.

My DH has it as well, he always thought he just had bad allergies.  And he does have allergies but since he has started being treated for acid reflux things have gotten so much better.  He still eats spicy food, he adores spicy food.  If it is acid reflux you can probably make some changes that will help you and you will still be able to eat spicy food, and you may still get heartburn but it won't be everyday.  And you can take an RX as well.

My DH takes and RX once a day I can't remember which one first thing in the AM.  He also started adding milk to his coffee, since coffee is very acidic and the milk helps tame it, so that helps with some relief as well.  You can also change the way you sleep, get a big wedge pillow, keeping your head elevated will help prevent the acid from creeping up while you sleep, it is weird at first but you get used to it.  The wedge also helps snoring as well.Embarassed

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I don't even know what my triggers are because I feel like everything I eat gives me heartburn. I will just have to talk to my doc. Maybe I have a chronic problem, and will be put on an RX. Beer definitely makes it worse, but the next day...

Thanks, ladies!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I get heartburn really badly, I'm convinced I have several ulcers. I went to the ER recently b/c it hurt so bad I thought it was my gallbladder or something...and I'm not one to go to the doctor EVER so it was really bad. It was heartburn. Talk to your doc and see if they recommend Prilosec OTC, it worked for me but you're only suposed to take it for 2 weeks then stop. I'm going back on it though. They have stronger prescription ones, but my guess is they'll put you on the OTC first.

wendy, its propably ameprazole (no clue how to spell that).

good luck liz...heartburn is no fun but everything that causes it is so worth it in my eyes. :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

I second Wendy's idea that it might be acid reflux, since it seems like it's so chronic for you.  Try to avoid eating less than 3 hours before bedtime.  Also, avoid citrus foods, carbonated beverages and alcohol (haha, right!  I wouldn't be able to do that!) soon before bedtime. 
    Good luck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

I am with Fra
    I used to have it daily.
    I went to the doctor, who scoped my throat and said I could either go on meds or alter my diet.
    I decided to alter my diet, since I dont think just taking meds fixes the problem, it just masks the pain.

When it is really bad, you feel as though everything bothers you, but that is only because your esophogus is so inflamed. It is almost too late to just avoid your triggers. I went on a completely bland diet for 2 weeks to soothe my system, then I started back with the regular foods.

No more fried foods, like my fave fried mozzarella, no more onion or garlic baked in sauces or a lot of tomato sauce. Onion, garlic and spices really hurt me, especially the way my Italian in-laws cook!!
    I cut way down on dairy. No more orange juice or really acidic things. I can still eat ice cream, but only a kiddie size, which is really enough for me.
    I still eat buffalo sauce, fries etc, but only a few and not before bedtime.

My inlaws think I am some freak, lol. They are always whispering to my husband, "can meg eat that" lol. I remember telling my FFIL, well I cant eat that much garlic anymore. "OK" he says, I will only put in a little. He chopped up and put in 4 cloves!
    those crazy italian cooks

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Ugh... I can relate!  Like Wendy's niece, i had it terrible when I was younger & didn't know what it was.  I just thought I was sick.  But mom adjusted my diet & I outgrew it & have always avoided certain foods (very cautious with red sauces).
    Lately it's been everything that causes it though - ice cream, veggies, cereal... pretty much anything I ate.

Doc figured that my system was irritated & I needed to give it a chance to heal - on Prilosec & it's a wonder!  After 1 month I'll be off & see if just watching my diet & limiting stress will suffice, but I needed that help to heal.

Liz - call your doc, it's so worth the relief!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I made an appointment with my doc for a physical and will bring it up then! I had a slice of pizza on Friday night and it felt like I swallowed fire!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

So sorry!!  Just to add, I lived for the chewable soft Rolaids... they soothed as they went down & helped calm the heartburn.  I was following up every meal with these or pepto until I saw the doc.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

I agree with Tibird, I was living on Tums and Pepto masking the issues.

My mom has similar issues, and she did the Prisolec cycle, and she is feeling great!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

What is this Prilosec cycle?