Alterations by Anahit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Alterations by Anahit

Maybe Kar could help me with this. I just drove by Anahits place in Newton, right across the street from VOWS. Do you know if she does dresses purchased from other stores? I am considering getting my gown altered somewhere else, instead of M&T. I don't really want to drive to NH and back 3-4 times.

Also, Kar....OT, but, when I was walking around that area (FI and I went to get some lunch, cause I had to get out of the house) we saw an 8-week old chocolate lab, SO CUTE!!!!! She or he was very hyper on the leash, but the cutest thing, ever! The owner could only stop to tell me his or her age, because she kept pulling him! I never found out the s.e.x or the name! :) I thought of you ;)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Alterations by Anahit

Hey Liz,

Anahit is no longer associated with VOWS so all her alterations are from "other stores."  However, she said she was cutting WAY back on alteration jobs this year so good luck.  I hope she takes you; she's truly the best.

The chocolates are the most hyper because they were bread specifically because the rich wanted a "different" lab from the original lab.  In breeding for the color, they lost good lab traits.  Most chocolates are trouble.  No offense to anyone who has one!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Aww, well he was cute anyway! 

Thanks. I will call her soon then, maybe if I tell her I won't need her until Feb/March 2010, she will take me. I am glad you had such a good experience with her.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good luck - you saw my before and after - she's truly a miracle worker, and she had great design ideas, too.  She told me that my long sleeves, even depoofed, would be too dowdy for a young woman (yay, I'm "young!"), and she suggested the 3/4 length.  I loved what she did.

Please let me know if you get in with her.  ajuly had a fabulous experience, too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I will let you know! How do you pronounce her name?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm not 100% sure, but she never corrected me when I called her, "Ahna heet' ."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I am picking up my dress tomorrow, yikes!! I'll post a picture of her great work soon!  She took a size 10 dress and altered it down 4 sizes, and changed the neckline.  She also did a great job bustling my long sash in a really different way (just hope the BM remember how to do it!)   Give Anahit a call now to see if she would be able to "fit" you in! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Liz -  M&T does not do alterations.  They will give you a list of alteration places that they can recommend but that is it.  You are not required to use anyone on the list at all so if you can get Anahit and she is close then go for it.

I got my dress at M&T and did use one of the people on their list but only because it was convenient for me to get to her.  She did good work, but when you are going to have to go multiple times having someone close by is the best.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Oh, good to know M&T doesn't do them. I didn't even ask when I bought my dress. I would love to get someone in the area, and someone who is recommended.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nbsbride1109. Show nbsbride1109's posts

I took my dress to Anahit and she definitely takes them from other places besides Vows. But she does write on the top of the receipt that it's not a Vows dress. I guess you're either Vows or you're not, haha :)  The only two situations she mentioned where she either doesn't work with it or finds it difficult are the Filene's dress sale, (where I got mine) and David's. She said if you get your dress at Filene's, most people need to have it cleaned before they can even bring it to her. And, she did tell me the only dresses she doesn't like to work with are from David's Bridal, I have no idea why. She is so great though, knows what she is doing and tells you what to have done in a way that you don't really want to question it, but in a good way! Like, why bother questioning, you know and she knows she's right. :) I am so glad she could fit me in, I go back in two weeks for my second fitting and I can't wait to see my dress again!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

I just called her for my October wedding and I will have my first fitting August 7th.  The woman asked if I had my shoes yet and I quickly said "yes" (I don't!) for fear they wouldn't take me or something without shoes.  Guess I will be shoe shopping these next few weeks!! :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

In Response to Re: Alterations by Anahit:
    [QUOTE]I just called her for my October wedding and I will have my first fitting August 7th.  The woman asked if I had my shoes yet and I quickly said "yes" (I don't!) for fear they wouldn't take me or something without shoes.  Guess I will be shoe shopping these next few weeks!! :)
    Posted by klm44[/QUOTE]

lol, gotta do anything to get in, right?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They won't take you without your shoes.  It's a waste of their time.  Make sure you go with the ones you really will be wearing, not just any pair to get the appointment.  Probably goes without saying, but FWIW I'll say it out loud anyway.

ajuly, I can't wait to see your before and after photos!!!!!  Sounds like she did her regular miraculous job for you.  (Nice pun, btw.)

Again, Anahit is not affiliated with ANY store.  She used to work for VOWS.  She hasn't for quite awhile now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I have this bad bad feeling I won't get in.....

I may need other suggestions for other people who are good. I wish M&T did have an alterations department, now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

P.S. what is FWIW???

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

For whatever it's worth.  :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

If you need an alternative seamstress, I used Violette who works for Camilla's Bridal in Arlington.  They definitely accept non-Camilla's dresses.  She was reasonably priced, and did a good job with my alterations.  They sell Maggie Sottero gowns at Camilla's, so she has experience with those.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from octbride09. Show octbride09's posts

This woman is a PRO. My dress is from VOWS. When she came at me with the scissors I wanted to cry. I even said "Can't you just pin it?!?!" and my sister's mouth was forming the perfect O for catching flies. She literally put a hole on the bottom of the dress and just cut it. THAT is why you need your shoes. She does not pin the dress. So be forewarned. She will cut it right in front of you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]This woman is a PRO. My dress is from VOWS. When she came at me with the scissors I wanted to cry. I even said "Can't you just pin it?!?!" and my sister's mouth was forming the perfect O for catching flies. She literally put a hole on the bottom of the dress and just cut it. THAT is why you need your shoes. She does not pin the dress. So be forewarned. She will cut it right in front of you.
    Posted by octbride09[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!!  She did the same thing to me!  She laid the dress down and said, "Do not worry.  I cut now."  And, she did.  She cut the whole train in one swipe on her hands and knees from a cathedral to a chapel length.  No marking, nothing.  It was perfect.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Unless you have an unlimited budget, be very sure you know how much she is going to charge you BEFORE you start.  At your first appointment, try on the dress and before she even starts pinning, tell her you want to discuss what needs to be done and how much it will cost. 

Too many brides are sticker-shocked at the end of the process and she is very, very expensive.  She may be excellent at what she does but so are many others.

Just a word of motherly advice.  :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I drive by her all the time. I've also heard good things about Chris O'Hare.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

cosmo, I thought her prices were competative, and she does have a price list that she goes over with you at the first meeting.  Good advice for any seamstress, though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from octbride09. Show octbride09's posts

[QUOTE]Unless you have an unlimited budget, be very sure you know how much she is going to charge you BEFORE you start.  At your first appointment, try on the dress and before she even starts pinning, tell her you want to discuss what needs to be done and how much it will cost.  Too many brides are sticker-shocked at the end of the process and she is very, very expensive.  She may be excellent at what she does but so are many others. Just a word of motherly advice.  :)
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]

Yup. My alterations cost me around $400. Took the top up a little, hem, added crinoline, and the french bustle. I can't imagine how much it must before girls that are seriously altering the dress. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

What is crinoline?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]What is crinoline?
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

It's the poofy material that petticoats are made of that make the bottom of the dress stand out to the desired poof. 

Sections
Shortcuts