Any Advice?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GK2bwed. Show GK2bwed's posts

Any Advice?

So I am going bridal gown shopping for the first time in a couple weeks. Any advice on things to bring, things to pay attention to, or things you wish you did? Did you a change of bras incase certain dresses require certain things? Thanks!! I am getting excited!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Re: Any Advice?

Aw, first time dress shopping, that's the best!  Enjoy it.  :)

The only two things I wish I had brought with me were a strapless bra and a pair of heels (or flats, if you plan on wearing flats at the wedding).  That way you can get a better idea of what the dress should look like with the right underwear and footwear.

And my other advice is, do try on dresses even if you don't think they're your style!  I went in looking for a certain type of dress, and the one I bought was NOTHING like what I had in mind.  You truly never know what they'll look like on until you try them!  Smile

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I second KMT try stuff on even if you don't think you will like it.  I did that so I knew that I had the dress I wanted and didn't wonder well would I have liked that halter dress.  I knew I wouldn't because I tried it on.

I didn't bring heels but I did wear my own strapless bra and had spanx type shorts that went to mid thigh so I would feel a bit more comfortable.  Why I don't know there was nothing to the imgagination but I felt covered so it was less awkward for me.

Take someone you trust that will fawn if it is appropriate but won't gush if the dress doesn't flatter you.  Don't be pressured, even if you need to order that day take the time to leave for an hour to clear you head and then go back if it is truly the dress of your dreams.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Wear underwear that provides adequate coverage in case someone helps you try on the dress.  I didn't care if anyone saw my bottom, but I tend to wear pretty modest underwear to begin with.  I think I flashed the woman at the dress shop b/c I was trying on strapless dresses and didn't think to wear a strapless bra.  I did bring Spanx w/ me.  Most places sell shoes as well, so you can always grab a pair or two there to see how the dress looks at various heel heights.

The most important thing to do is to make sure you are properly fed and caffeinated before you begin shopping.  Take as many snack breaks as you need.  You don't want to make a dress decision when you are hungry or undercaffeinated.  :-) 

Set a budget in advance and DO NOT look at or try on anything you see that is outside of that budget. You can always find a more expensive dress that you like more than the ones in your price point.  Don't tempt yourself.  Have fun!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

They made me try on every type of style even though I KNEW I would look awful in them. But I do agree that is a good idea, because you never know what it will look like on you. They had me try on mermaid styles, which I thought look hideous on me, but they liked it..

Anyway, I brought one inch heels, because that is the height I will wear on my wedding day. I did bring a strapless bra. Also, this sounds really silly, but bring a hair elastic, because dresses look so much different when your hair is up...in my opinion, unless you plan on wearing your hair down on your wedding day.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

I agree with Alf!!  Eat and drink beforehand, and bring water with you!  I was so hot and thirsty trying on dresses (and it was the middle of the winter!!).  And a couple of times I did not eat before going and was a whiny grouch that hated every dress!

I also agree to be open-minded, but don't feel you need to try on dresses that make you go "yuck" when you look at them.  If you bring a strapless bra, depending on how much support you need, try to bring the corset type.  I am a DD and brought my little flimsy strapless and it did not help.  Also, depending on your foot size bring your own shoes or they will try to make you stuff your feet into ones that are too big or too small.  :)

Good luck and don't get discouraged if you don't find it immediately! you WILL find it!!  I didn't believe people who said, "you just know" but after trying on about 40 gowns I found THE ONE!  and I'm sad that I only got to wear it once. :(  Although DH says I can wear it around the house whenever I want because he loved it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Take a strapless bra and an objective friend. Try not to take an entourage because then you'll just get conflicting opinions from everyone. I brought pictures that I cut out of magazines because it helped the consultant with what I was going for.

Where are you going dress shopping? Don't feel pressured to buy a dress right away, especially if you feel like you need to try on more dresses before you make a commitment. Set a budget before you go and don't try on anything above that amount. Maybe you can watch a couple episodes of Say Yes to the Dress for practice. Smile

Have fun! You get to be girly and squealy, and no one will tell you to knock it off. Smile

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I agree with a few other posts
    *Bring an elastic because it looks so different with your hair up.  (IF you are planning to wear your hair up.)
    *Make sure you wear underwear you don't mind a stranger seeing you in (or your mother or your bff).  And not to be gross, but make sure you are groomed.  I know - kind of silly, but I was so embarrassed when I went for alterations and forgot about that as the seamstress was helping me into my dress.
    *Try not to bring a whole crowd.  There just isn't enough room for all those people :o)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HappyFrappy. Show HappyFrappy's posts

Ditto to the other suggestions.

Also, don't forget your camera! I know a lot of bridal stores don't allow you to take pictures unless you've purchased the gown, but surprisingly, I went to a couple shops that did allow pictures. Plus, if you do end up purchasing a gown, you'll want pictures to show it off!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

In Response to Re: Any Advice?:
    Ditto to the other suggestions. Also, don't forget your camera! I know a lot of bridal stores don't allow you to take pictures unless you've purchased the gown, but surprisingly, I went to a couple shops that did allow pictures. Plus, if you do end up purchasing a gown, you'll want pictures to show it off!
    Posted by HappyFrappy

I agree with the gals who said to wear full coverage undies if you are at all modest...  I forgot about an appointment that I had one day and I was mortified standing there in a thong with the gal in the bridal shop. 

Definitely recommend a strapless bra.  Also, heels will help. Your posture changes when you wear heels, so you'll feel different in a gown with heels on than just bare feet.

HappyFrappy - that is my #1 favorite Guster song (a very difficult choice to make, I might add.)... is that where your screen name is from? :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HappyFrappy. Show HappyFrappy's posts

LilSprout - Yes, indeed! Guster is my all time favorite band (and my FI's too). The band we've booked for our wedding is even learning a couple Guster songs to play for us!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GK2bwed. Show GK2bwed's posts

Thanks everyone! Such great suggestions and definitely a few things I would not have thought of. I appreciate it. I am definitely getting excited. One thing I am nervous about is that when we got engaged (over a year ago) everyone was asking about going dress shopping and at the time I didn't think anything of it and said yes to my MOH (sister), mother, Fiance's mother, and my aunt who is close in age to me. So recently I have been nervous about the caravan going, but I figure if it is stressful I can cut it short and go back another day. I am going in the Plymouth area (Maria of Italy and Hillary's), and then to Allure in Westwood, David's Bridal in Dedham, and maybe a few more the next day. Exciting!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

In Response to Re: Any Advice?:
    Thanks everyone! Such great suggestions and definitely a few things I would not have thought of. I appreciate it. I am definitely getting excited. One thing I am nervous about is that when we got engaged (over a year ago) everyone was asking about going dress shopping and at the time I didn't think anything of it and said yes to my MOH (sister), mother, Fiance's mother, and my aunt who is close in age to me. So recently I have been nervous about the caravan going, but I figure if it is stressful I can cut it short and go back another day. I am going in the Plymouth area (Maria of Italy and Hillary's), and then to Allure in Westwood, David's Bridal in Dedham, and maybe a few more the next day. Exciting!
    Posted by GK2bwed

Some people may not remember that they asked/orffered to go with you.  And you can always break it up so you don't have everyone every time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

I am going in the Plymouth area (Maria of Italy and Hillary's), and then to Allure in Westwood, David's Bridal in Dedham, and maybe a few more the next day. Exciting!
    Posted by GK2bwed

I got my dress at Hillary's!  They were so fantastic to work with.  You will love them!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

all you ladies got it covered! ditto on everything.
    if you try on a dress with someone else there, go back and try it on by yourself before you commit to order it. you want to know you're getting it for you, not because the person who came shopping with you says it's great.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GK2bwed. Show GK2bwed's posts

Thanks again everyone. I will be sure to be thinking of all this great advice. I am also excited to go to Hillary's. They have gotten such good reviews from these boards, KMT

Sections
Shortcuts