Anyone ever been to Kleinfelds?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Anyone ever been to Kleinfelds?

So, my maid of honor and I are going to NYC the first weekend of August to visit one of my bridesmaids and they suggested I make an appt. at Kleinfelds for more of a fun experience, so I did. The dresses are gorgeous, but pretty expensive. Have any of you been? What was your experience like? I don't want to tick them off by going to try them on for the "experience" and then not purchasing one.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Re: Anyone ever been to Kleinfelds?

I'd ask this first:  what is your budget?  From what I've seen, if your budget isn't at LEAST $3K, they won't have much selection for you.  If it is, then sure, go have fun.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

My budget is over $3k, so I can afford a dress there. I am not a confrontational person, so I am not going to say anything about how I feel about that post. You are entitled to your opinion.

I have no problem falling in love with a dress there, if it happens, great. If I remember, you went to a lot of salons before finding your dress, and tried on A LOT of dresses. It's all about the process.

Maybe I worded my OP wrong. Of course I would feel bad not purchasing a dress there, but I would feel bad not purchasing a dress anywhere.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Peonie,

Sorry, you are right, my post was harsh.  I apologize.  I (stupidly) assumed you were just going "for fun" based on your the way you worded your post, but if you can afford to shop there, go for it.  If I could have afforded it, I sure would have.

Sorry.

PS.  I did shop a lot, sometimes you have to in order to find the right dress.  However, every store I went to, I would have bought my dress at if I had found it there.  And if I didn't find a dress, I didn't feel bad about not buying one.  It is a business transaction, nothing more.  I never went just "for fun".  That was all I was suggesting to you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Hi Peonie,

I also thought from your OP that you were going to go just for fun.  If you are interested in seeing if they have something you want to buy, you absolutely should go.  I have two suggestions:
    1.  Tell them your budget is about $500-$1,500 less than it actually is.  Watching the show, some of the saleswomen insist on bringing out dresses over the budget the bride gave, no matter how firmly she says that she doesn't want them to. 
    2.  If you manage to get on the show, pretty PLEASE tell us when you'll be on.  Kiss

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I didn't think trex's response was harsh or out of line.  Your post said you were going just for fun.  I had no idea why you said you were non confrontational and were letting her post go...but, if you were offended I guess you have a right.

To answer your question, though, if you are serious and have the budget for Kleinfelds I'd go and not be afraid of ticking them off.  You are perfectly entitled to SHOP there.  Shopping doesn't mean buying, necessarily.  If you fall in love with a dress there, buy it, if not, don't let them pressure you.  If they are anything like they seem on TV they are like car salesman.  High pressure.  If you don't enjoy dealing with high pressure sales, it might not be "fun" at all even if you can afford the dresses.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkandpearls. Show pinkandpearls's posts

One of my friends went to Kleinfelds and although she didn't find THE dress, she found her veil and other fun accessories there...they had a different selection than other stores she had been to.

just a thought!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Even if you don't find a dress there, I see no reason to a) feel bad about it or b) not go. 

Have fun! And like Lucy said, tell us if you get on the show.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

You have to fill out an application to be on the show, and I would never, ever!!

Also, I find that with anything in the wedding business, you are constantly "wasting" peoples time. I wasted peoples time at 4 venues and then decided not to book with them, etc. Trex, it is ok...no hard feelings.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

P.S. pinkandpearls, my thoughts exactly, I could always buy a veil there, if nothing else.

At the end of the day, we only go through this experience once (hopefully)....

Summer, seems like you had a great experience!! Are you getting your alterations done there?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Any vendor that makes a bride with a budget up to the task of hiring them who makes the couple feel they are "wasting their time" if they don't book him is in the wrong.  It should not be a concern of the couple at all if they are seriously shopping.  There should not be ANY sense of obligation just because you're shopping.  That's the whole idea behind shopping around.  Do not let their high pressure tactics get to you; remember, they are in the wrong for trying them on you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'm glad the real experience is vastly different from what they show on SYTTD.

In Response to Re: Anyone ever been to Kleinfelds?:
    I bought my dress at Kleinfelds.  I admit, I kind of decided to go there because of the show and thought it would be a really fun experience but didn't think I would pick a dress there.  It was the first place that I really looked, with J Crew being the only other place I had tried on dresses.   My salesperson was not pushy AT ALL.  We went into her room and talked about what I was looking for, etc. and she asked about budget.  My mom told her our budget was $5K but that if something was "to die for" we would go higher.  Every single dress she brought back for me was under $4K.  My mom went out to the floor and brought one in around $7K and our salesperson made a big point of telling my mom that that dress was above our budget and my mom said that she really wanted to see me in it.  Turns out it was hideous so no big deal.  Then I tried on "my dress" which my mom had also picked out.  We had no idea what the price was and were afraid to ask.....it was $3700, significantly under budget.  With that said, I was not looking for a dress with beading or lace which adds to the price.   I did not find the salesperson or the managers on the floor pushy in the least.  In fact, I was nervous to say "yes to the dress" since I hadn't even been to another bridal salon and I had appointments at Saks and Bergdorf for the next day.  We decided to go to one of our other appointments that afternoon and all I could think about was how much I loved the dress at Kleinfeld so we ran back so I could try it on again and get measured and we bought it.  I think some of the stuff on the show is for the show.  Think about it, why would they want to push me into making a purchase when I wasn't sure.  They are not in the business of having brides later regret their decisions.  That would not be good for their business.  They wanted me to have a great experience and I did. I hope that you have a wonderful experience when you go.  My consultant was named Barbera so if you are able to request a consultant I highly recommend her.  She was great!
    Posted by Summer2010

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

You have to fill out an application to be on the show, and I would never, ever!! Posted by Peonie

hmm..if you have to fill out an application to be on the show, it's interesting people fill one out knowing they are just going there to play dress up. It's also interesting producers would choose them. Entertainment value i suppose.

Anyway, have fun shoping Peonie. It is kind of fun to go with your girlfriends to find your dress.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

What they show on SYTTD is simply for entertainment value, otherwise, who would watch it? I had a dream last night that I fell in love with a $12k dress and negotiated it down to $2k....I wonder in what world that would happen? lol.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

What they show on SYTTD is simply for entertainment value, otherwise, who would watch it? I had a dream last night that I fell in love with a $12k dress and negotiated it down to $2k....I wonder in what world that would happen? lol.
    Posted by Peonie

Maybe if the salesperson accidentally knocked you down a flight of stairs while you were there.  Or spilled coffee on it... and some buttons were missing... 

There is that one episode where they negotiated a $24k dress to $12k.  So maybe you'll get lucky.  Wink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkandpearls. Show pinkandpearls's posts

Did anyone see the episode of SYTTD where the family wanted a dress that was like $24k and they "negotiated" it down to around $15k and it was a ripped sample dress?? Buy a new dress for $15k!!

Go and enjoy yourself! You never what you might find! Besides, how often are you going to have the excuse to search for a fabulous gown?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I saw that one too...
    I've always wondered how much research into the applicants SYTTD does.  I wonder if they check to see that you actually have a date booked or anything like that.  They probably do because anyone with a ring or even a borrowed ring could get on the show and pretend to shop for a dress!

P.S. Kar, Trex probably went back and edited her original post.  Not that there's anything wrong with that ;o)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

She did edit, but the original post wasn't overly harsh or out of line.

I expect that the girls playing dress-up don't tell the store when signing up what they're doing.  They just want to be on TV, and if you tell the store, "I'm not buying anything, I just want to be on TV," they're not going to allow it.  They have plenty of good drama for the show from brides who might actually spend money.  It's also really unfair to the salewomen, who work on commission.  I suppose they could think there's always a chance the bride will fall in love with something, but I think it's more likely they don't know.

Sections
Shortcuts