Awful first time out experience! :(

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Awful first time out experience! :(

I just got back from Yolandas...and I feel awful writing a bad review. This was my very first time trying on dresses. I wasn't even planning on going there, but my MOH insisted on at least trying it out because she got her gown there and loved it. She is also a size 6 on a bad day.....
    Anywho, I am a size 14, and not ashamed to admit that. I have always been big chested and bigger on the bottom (whaddup J-Lo). I am in no means overweight (at least I don't think I am). My body is completely proportioned. I swear I am not here to brag. Well I went into Yolandas and the girl who helped me out literally made me feel like I was the fatest person alive. First of all the dresses that I liked, or well the ones she brought to me were all sample size 10, which I know is normal, so they didn't really fit in my chest area. The whole time she was putting them on she huffed and puffed and acted like it was the most annoying task ever! I know I am not a size 0 and will never be, but did she really have to rub it in? Maybe it's just me, but this experience was NOT the first time out I wanted. I can't wait to go to Marry and Tux on Friday!

Thank you for letting me vent.

P.S. My MOH feels awful, but of course it is not in any way her fault!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Re: Awful first time out experience! :(

Liz, that's terrible!  I'm so sorry to hear that you had such an awful first experience trying on dresses.  The dress is supposed to be the fun part!

Maybe some people have had good experiences at Yolanda's, but it sounds like you got stuck with a very lousy salesperson.  She should be putting you in dresses that fit your chest area, or at least working with you to show you what it would look like on you in the right size.  I can't believe she was getting so irritated with you while doing her JOB!

Don't let it get you down though.  I went to two dress shops my first day out, and the salespeople were so rude that I didn't even end up trying anything on.  But the third shop was amazing, and I ended up buying the first dress I tried on! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I don't expect the royal treatment in anyway...but don't make a girl who is trying on one of the most important dresses of her life feel fat. Or role your eyes when it doesn't fit properly. Oh well. I hear Marry and Tux has a lot of samples in size 12/14 so I am all set!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Liz, I'm so sorry you had an experience like that!  That salesperson sounds absolutely terrible.  So awful that she was huffing and puffing while doing her job!!  UGH!  I know you are not a confrontational person, but I would call and tell them that your experience there was a disappointment. 

Trying on dresses should be a fun, great experience.  Don't let that lady get you down!  You deserve to enjoy every moment of this!  Good luck at your next place, and I hope you find the dress of your dreams.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Marry and Tux is great! I shopped there, had a great time and loved the salespeople. I didnt end up buying my dress there, only because I loved one from another store.

I really dont get why they dont have samples that are truly in the middle of the sizes!
    A sample 10 is like a size 6, and the average woman is a 12/14. It just makes lovely brides, such as yourself, feel poorly about themselves when they should not!!
    It is the industry issue, not you. I love curves on women and wish I had some in any way!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, Hon, that's terrible. Wish you had joined us sooner; in years past other brides have had similar experiences there.  So, at the very least, don't feel bad about writing a bad review; you aren't the only one.  (And, you are entitled to your opinion, anyway, whatever it is and even if everyone else loves the place.)

P.S.  And, by the way, it doesn't matter what your size, no one has the right to judge you and a saleswoman for pity's sake, what's her problem?!  Even if she's a witch and insecure enough in her own body such that she judges others, she'd be smart to HIDE IT on the bridal shop floor.  What an insensitive dolt. 

You will be beautiful size 14, 4, 44, whatever.  You'll glow.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks girls!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Aw, that's too bad. She acted very unprofessionally. I have heard great things about marry & Tux, hopefully you'll find "the dress"!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Beagles, I know you are totally right. I honestly do not care what the size is, as long as it looks good. They should have more sample sizes...most woman are not a size 6. Most are 12/14. Oh well, this did not ruin my dress shopping experience, I kind of knew going in there it wouldn't be good for me. I haven't read great reviews of them on Yelp.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Oh no!!  That's terrible!  I had a similar experience there when I went with my mother.  Not only is my mom a normal-sized person (she and I are like you, Liz - busty with b*oty), but she came with a (gasp!) BUDGET and the saleswoman HATED that.  And it wasn't like it was a $10 budget.  I don't know... I wonder if some of the salespeople at Yolanda's feel that they can do no wrong because they work there... it makes no sense to me.

The salespeople at the shop where I ended up buying my dress couldn't stop telling me how beautiful I was... they know how to make a sale!!  Seriously, though - you should feel beautiful trying on dresses!  The salespeople should make it their mission to make you feel that way even in ill-fitting sample dresses!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

The point is, that you should feel beautiful trying on wedding dresses.  This isn't just any dress... it's the wedding dress.  I find it really appalling how the salesperson doesn't see that.  Doesn't understand that her whole job is to help people with trying them on. 

I went to a different bridal shop, and the salesperson there was SO helpful.  She must have put me into 10 or 12 dresses, and never huffed about any of it.  Especially when I was between 2 of the dresses and had her take me in and out of those a couple times, so I could figure out which one I wanted. 

Plus, this is the person who is going to see you at your most vulnerable... barely dressed.  That in it of itself should set her mind to - I AM GOING TO BE NICE TO THIS BRIDE!  Sheesh.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Remember it works both ways too! When I went to David's and told them I was a size 2, the saleswoman sighed "We probably won't have anything that will fit you." And then walked off to look for dresses.
    But of course they had dresses that fit me, and I ended up buying the first dress I tried on.
    Sales people who hate their jobs will find a way to rain on anyone's parade. It's awful. You have to kind of ignore the clerk and look at the dress. The dress will do the talking.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I really appreciate all of the support! It was a bad hour, and in the end I walked out knowing that I will find the dress and no matter hat size I am or what size ANY bride is 0 or 32, ALL brides are gorgeous on their wedding day. But all salespersons, especially ones in the wedding industry need to make it their goal to make the brides feel beautiful. You live and you learn.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

I agree with Pink. I am very petite - 5'1 and a size 2, with no curves to speak off.
    That being said, the samples swam on me and were about 8 inches too long everywhere. So, the beading was all off on the bodice, the waistline, etc. All way off. The salespeople do clip the back, but that doesnt help with proportions.

It was very hard to even imagine what the dress would look like on me. I looked like a kid playing dress up.

So, I picked a dress I loved, but really had no idea what it would look like until it came in! Good thing I still love it!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]Remember it works both ways too! When I went to David's and told them I was a size 2, the saleswoman sighed "We probably won't have anything that will fit you." And then walked off to look for dresses. But of course they had dresses that fit me, and I ended up buying the first dress I tried on. Sales people who hate their jobs will find a way to rain on anyone's parade. It's awful. You have to kind of ignore the clerk and look at the dress. The dress will do the talking.
    Posted by pinkkittie18[/QUOTE]

Yes, you're right. 

I have to say, when I saw a dress I liked, I grabbed it in my size (6).  I walked away not even knowing the size of the wedding dresses are different.  But, the salesperson didn't say anything negative to me.  She had me try on the dresses that I was interested in, she brought a couple of her own ideas that I might like (I ended up buying the one she suggested)... all this in my right size.  And, never mentioned anything to me about grabbing the wrong size.  That's a good sales person.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

it's so hard to find stuff that fits right when you're either curvy or curve-less!Thank God that when you buy a wedding dress you already know you have to get it altered!

[QUOTE]I agree with Pink. I am very petite - 5'1 and a size 2, with no curves to speak off. That being said, the samples swam on me and were about 8 inches too long everywhere. So, the beading was all off on the bodice, the waistline, etc. All way off. The salespeople do clip the back, but that doesnt help with proportions. It was very hard to even imagine what the dress would look like on me. I looked like a kid playing dress up. So, I picked a dress I loved, but really had no idea what it would look like until it came in! Good thing I still love it!
    Posted by ilovebeagles[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

The first store my mom and I went to was empty, and the woman working didn't even get up out of her chair.  We asked her a question and she gave us a one-word answer and didn't even look up from her computer.  I said to my mom, as loud as possible, "well, I guess she doesn't want to sell a dress today," and we walked out.

The next place basically told us to get out because we didn't have an appointment.  He barely let us browse through the dresses before he rushed us out the door.

Third place was Hillary's (which I've raved about here).  Mom and I walked in without an appointment, had a few minutes to browse through the dresses, and then the saleswoman came over.  They have a book with all the pictures of the dresses, and the dresses are arranged in the store the same order they are in the book.  As my mom and I looked through the book and picked dresses we liked, she grabbed them and put them in the dressing room for me.  I tried on about 8 dresses, all corsets, and they spent almost an hour dressing and undressing me.  The whole time they were fun, sweet, personable, and made me feel gorgeous in everything.  I have my first fitting with them on Saturday morning and I can't wait!  Smile

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I've heard awful things about Yolanda's, so don't take it personally! They'll be much more pleasant at Marry&Tux.

I don't know how Yolanda's is still in business with all of the bad PR it gets.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 91909Bride. Show 91909Bride's posts

Liz...I like you am a bigger bride...a 14/16 and I went to Madeline's Daughter in southern NH, and I LOVED IT.  They were fantastic.  She brought out dresses in my size or close to, so we were able to see what the dress would really look like.  They also have awesome prices...I got my dress for under $1000...way under!  The best thing was the woman working with me asked my price range...and actually brought DRESSES OUT IN MY PRICE RANGE and lower!!! (shocking...at least from what some other bridal places like to do!)

if you don't find anything you like at Marry and Tux, you should totally check them out.  I have to say, I actually went to a couple of places...but they were by FAR my favorite and made the whole dress shopping experience awesome!!  Good luck!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Samples will slide over you and you'll get a better feel for how the dress will look if you wear the undergarments you intend to wear on the Big Day (minus the bra - that doesn't really matter 'til later).  I wore a body shaper, but I did forget it once, and it made a big difference.  I felt like I'd gained 5 lbs since the last time I had the dress on (I "visited" the dress a couple of times before I bought it).  It makes you feel svelt no matter what size you are or how RUDE the saleslady is!  And, you feel even better in the jeans you're wearing on shopping day...always a plus.  :)

I still can't believe people are so mean, although, I watched a Tyra where she dressed up in a very large fat suit and they recorded peoples' treatment of her - it was horrifying.  The mocking "up and down" looks she got in stores was apalling.  Not that you are very large...it was people's reaction to her that made me think of that episode.

Best wishes as you go somewhere else and get treated like the beautiful bride you ARE.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RN13. Show RN13's posts

Dear Liz-

I was afraid of the same thing that happened to you.  That is so awful, shame on them for acting out every girl's worst nightmare.  I had great luck with Donna at Precious Memories in Malden.  We talked about being a larger than average size and she just made me feel great.  She also knew her stock, new what dresses would flatter and which would not.  I couldn't have been happier with her.  If you don't find what you want at M&T, try PM!  I got my dress there and love it.  Also seamstress is expert and doing a great job with fittings to be sure it is flattering and fits right. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RN13. Show RN13's posts

P.S.
    I just saw your other post and want to mention that Precious Memories has a ton of Maggie dresses. That's why I went and what I got.  They list of her dresses they have in the store is on their website.  Good luck!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Good luck at Marry and Tux tomorrow.  I'm a size 16 and had a great time there, because I could really try things on.  I was not looking forward to dress shopping, but ended up having a great experience (and found a gorgeous dress!). 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Thanks all!! This is liz, just under a new SN...I have an appointment at M&T tomorrow at 11:45 ( I took the week off of work and am bored out of my mind), and an appointment with PM next Friday afternoon. I am very excited about both!! To all the brides who posted who are size 14/16 thats what I hear is so great about those two stores, they actually HAVE dresses that you can TRY on and feel great in, and that will fit!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Good luck!!  And, enjoy the experience Smile

Sections
Shortcuts